the origin of atoms

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by richardcw, Feb 1, 2010.

1. richardcw Registered Member

hi. i'd just like some honest opinions on my alternative theory about atoms. I hope it isn't pseudoscience, but if it is then i wont mind if you move it to that forum.

My theory is that atoms don't exist based on the results of the gold-foil experiment.

If energy is seen as having relative displacement based on atomic mass then it is possible to see how the atom was envisaged

Using the following figures for atomic mass i hope you can see my point;
    Gold Foil: 196.9665u
    Alpha Particle: 4.0015u

1. Firstly the energy with a displacement value of 196.9665u (gold foil) is undisturbed.
    2. Then energy with a displacement value of 4.0015u (alpha particle) enters the gold foil. By dividing 196.9665u by 4.0015u we get a figure of 49.2232u. This means 49 alpha particles can fit together in gold foil.
    3. As more alpha particles enter the gold foil the energy changes at the centre of the 'atom' to a point where the energy displacement value is 0.2232u. This means that any alpha particles coming into this area are deflected because the energy with a displacement value of 4.0015u can not enter energy with a displacement value of 0.2232u.

So basically in my theory the atom was made up during the gold-foil experiment.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

So, if atoms don't exist, what is it that comprises matter?

I'm sorry, but I fear this is quickly bound for pseudoscience.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kurros Registered Senior Member

Did you know that we can fairly literally see atoms using a scanning tunneling electron microscope? Also we can move them around to a limited degree. People draw pictures with them now and again:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Xenon on Nickel

Iron on Copper

Carbon Monoxide on Platinum

Admittedly we can't see their nuclei in such pictures, but we can see their nuclei in high energy particle colliders, in some sense. We can even see the substructure in protons and neutrons.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. richardcw Registered Member

matter would be comprised of energy because matter is mass. The energy just has different densities (displacement values).

8. richardcw Registered Member

kurros. In this theory the atoms are made by the tunneling microscope.

9. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Oh, boy! Another one of those without a basic knowledge of science. <yawn>

10. kurros Registered Senior Member

Fair enough. You've got about 100 years of science to reproduce with this theory though if you want to replace atoms somehow. Good luck with that.

11. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

What properties does energy have? Does energy change its properties based on the density?