Google defies China: removes google.cn's censorship filter

Discussion in 'World Events' started by s0meguy, Jan 14, 2010.

1. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. otheadp Banned Banned

They haven't removed it yet. Doing so outright would violate Chinese law. They want to be responsible and law-abiding so they'll consult with Chinese authorities about removing the filters completely, or maybe just some.

There is more to the story, not mentioned in the blog entry. Google has been subjected to much more bullshit than just the censorship and a few security breaches.

I think this move is to put pressure on the Chinese authorities. They don't really want to leave China. But if it comes to it, they will do so.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

like?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. otheadp Banned Banned

Anonymous attacks, redirection of their website to a competitor's home page for no reason, redirection of their website to a competitor's home page if some search results were not filtered and were clicked on, unclear and contradictory instructions that were passed down in an unorganized manner and then Google being penalized for not following these...

Things like that.

8. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

google's being censored in the US, it glaringly obvious.

I guess I just imagine them selling out to the highest bidder. If the Chinese gov. should offer them more money, who knows.

9. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Care to share?
    Dare to bare?

10. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

If this tension escalates, China would come up with a new search engine, browser and start to create some alternatives to Western software services. Of course, the content will be censored in China, but it will undermine the world markets for the existing brands.
    A new freedoms for internet users...

11. John99 Banned Banned

On this point, i agree with China. At least they are even letting google operate there but from what i read filters bog the search engine down.

12. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Not with you. You're an arrogant ass that mostly shows up to insult people.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. otheadp Banned Banned

Google has about 30% market share in China. There are enough competitors there who would pick up the slack. The repercussions of Google pulling out of China would definitely be global. It would set all kinds of precedents, lines in the sand, and bad feelings / diplomatic fallout.

14. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Google's an odd duck. Seems the tiniest bit biased about certain things.

15. John99 Banned Banned

I always agreed with China afa their right to protect its citizens from online deviants nad crack pots.

16. John99 Banned Banned

To be clear, i enjoy crackpotteery but then i am an adult, with a fully formed brain.

17. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Sure China might try to create a competitor to Google, but they would hardly be the first to try this. Google is what it is because they have the best infrastructure, algorithms and technologies at their disposal, and are constantly working to improve their services. If it was so easy for someone to swallow their market share, it would have already been done. If Microsoft has to resort to paying websites not to list themselves on Google, I don't see why China would have an easy time of it either.

I think Google should most definitely press their demands for a change to the censorship system. I can understand the desire to suppress content deemed as hateful or inciteful, but no sane person can say that political opposition automatically falls under this category and keep a straight face while doing it. If the Chinese government doesn't want to budge, I definitely hope Google pulls out altogether, because millions of Chinese will be angrily demanding "hey, WTF happened to my Google?". Ordinary Chinese citizens will be forced to confront the question: do they truly believe themselves to be so stupid, that their access to information should be decided by a bureaucrat whose previous job experience involves burning down protesting villages?

18. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Then how about all the rest of us? You've made a pretty serious charge against Google - do you have anything to support that charge?

19. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

An update to this topic. It appears that the government in China may be facing a HUGE backlash from their people and the business operating in China. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34886542/ns/business-world_business/

It would serve the government right for all their oppressiveness about the lack of freedom for free-flowing information. Their iron fist may just about to rust even more.

20. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I mostly show up to insult people because of the inordinate number of people who need insulting. Now you have made a claim. Justify that claim with evidence or be recognised as a bullshit artist.

21. Pinwheel Banned Banned

That can be easily quashed.

22. Renrue Someone Registered Senior Member

Actually, it has already been done. That competitor is called Baidu and owns 60% of the current market share in the search engine market of China. Google currently only owns 30%. If Google pulls out, then Baidu would definitely fill in the vacuum taking up as much as 20%.

With that kind of market control (much like Google has in the rest of the world), I doubt there would be that strong of a 'WTF', and more of a begrudging move towards Baidu. I doubt it will be something that the people would revolt over. And that also makes me wonder what Google seeks to achieve, as that is something Baidu would probably have the power to do, not a mere 30 percenter like Google.

23. CptBork Valued Senior Member

I was actually referring to Google's market share worldwide. I thought the implication was that Google wouldn't want the Chinese government to invest in a competitor, as in to compete globally. Obviously within China it's a different ball game- large market they might lose in the short term, but in the long term I think Google will come out stronger as a whole.