Relevance in the boondocks

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by noodler, Jan 8, 2010.

1. noodler Banned Banned

Ah yes, the comfy backwaters of the linguistic arm of sciforums.

Well, relevance is one of those old-time words from our Latin roots. Via French it decomposes into the original Latin verb relevo, relevare, to lift up, or comfort.

So in the Bayou, at Fraggle Shack, it means giving one comfort - being relevant is being "relieving", and I can already think of several means open to me.

Including having a good cry ....:bawl:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. noodler Banned Banned

Is anyone interested in a game of cards?
    I mean a particular card game called Cassino. This one is, I believe what the game of Blackjack is based on. It was apparently played in the courts of Europe.

But cards are interesting by themselves, the games are like different kinds of grammar, in the sense cards have rank and suit value, and in some games suits don't count. Does that mean in games like euchre the grammar is more complex?

In Cassino only one suit counts, the spades. There is a single diamond the 10 which is also worth points at the end of a game. Cassino only uses two suits, so the other two are rank-only cards, like copies of the spades suit.

In Blackjack the aim is to use combinations less than or equal 21, and pairs can be split which is the connection to building pairs or triples in Cassino. Betting is, of course the risk involved in building (like a sandcastle of sorts).

...you can read all about it, in my new book Building a Big Cassino - out real soon.

I think card games, apart from involving permutations and combinations are like a kind of linguistics - the identity of cards.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.