Bagglish for beginners

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by James R, Dec 29, 2009.

1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this in. Move if necessary.

The following column gives some insight into Australians.

---
    Bagglish for beginners
    by Danny Katz
    The Age - October 30, 2009

Bagglish is pretty much the official language of Australia. It's that delightful mix of bagging and English which is spoken in a delightfully sarcastic and affectionate tone that can sometimes make people feel delightfully confused and suicidal. So for anyone who is unfamiliar with this richly poetic, vibrantly colourful and maliciously insensitive lingo, here is a quick primer called ''Bagglish for Beginners (You Dumb Drongo)''.

Lesson 1: a pleasant surprise in the city

Wayne is walking along Swanston Street, just minding his own business, when who should he bump into but his dear old friend Griff, who he hasn't seen ''in yonks'' (an extremely long length of time, about three-fifths of a ''donkey's''). Now, one would expect Wayne to smile warmly and say ''Hello good friend, how wonderful to see you!'' as would be the norm in most modern civilisations with highly developed social customs - but not in a Bagglish-speaking nation. Instead, Wayne scowls disdainfully, slaps his forehead in disgust, and shouts ''Awwwwwwcrap, I was hoping I'd never see YOU again, ya ugly old bugger!'' and then Griff responds in Bagglish, saying ''Jeeeeeeeezmaaaaate, what the frick happened to your head? - turn away cos your fat baldie scone's makin' my eyes bleed!'' and this exchange means that Wayne and Griff like each other very much and are very pleased to bump into each other on this pleasant day in the city.

Lesson 2: a lovely Sunday in a Melbourne backyard

[see full article]

Lesson 3: handy bagglish phrases that you can use every day

Before going any further, it's important to make clear that Bagglish is a language that can only be spoken between good friends and family members: you cannot just go up to a complete stranger and say ''Hey dipstick, your face makes me retch'', because they may not understand that you're being affectionate and warm - though you can always convert it into Bagglish by adding ''Just joshing'' afterwards, and then they'll nod and chuckle and say ''Oh I get it, good one, ya cheeky smartarse!''

So now you are ready to try some common Bagglian expressions of your own! When visiting your friendly local shopkeeper, why not say ''Hey ya shonky crook, give me your most tasteless overpriced bread, and make sure it's yesterday's!'' (Translation: ''One of your finest fresh loaves please, and thank you for your always reliable service, oh noble merchant.'') When walking past a co-worker in the workplace, you can yell ''Oh gawwwwwwd Trish, who dressed you this morning? - you look like a Liquorice Allsort!'' (Translation: ''My, your outfit is splendid! I only wish I had your funky Euro-chic design-sense!'') And finally, when curling up in bed with your lover, you can even be romantic in fluent Bagglish: ''Y'know, I probably could've done heaps better than you but looks like I'm stuck with you for good so roll over and let's get this done, ya bristly old sow.'' (Translation: ''I treasure you, dearest darling, I am honoured to have you as my bed partner, you do not need to pluck your chin.'')​

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

so what if you get yesterdays bread...after the bagglish request?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Any idea about the origin of the name "Bagglish"?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The origin of the name "Bagglish", as far as I am aware, is the linked article.

8. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Shit James, you crusty, anal fuck, why didn't you just give an example of your own or are you just too bloody dimwitted?

My good friend's daughter lovingly refers to her father's advancing paunch as 'The Fridge',...we know there's a six pack in there somewhere, but fucked if you can find it for the salami, last week's left over pud, a shitload of pickles etc. etc.

BTW James and for anyone but you this disclaimer would be completely unnecessary but I was only joshin'.

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

So Katz made the word up? The only two Google hits are that article and this thread. We don't use "bagging" that way over here so it doesn't make a lot of sense; it doesn't even show up as Australian slang under "bag" in Dictionary.com.
    That post was in Bagglish, right?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

I'm more inclined to do a fraction more subtly. I might say something like "G'day Stuart, nice shirt....looks like yesterday's pizza" then quickly change the subject before he gets right of reply.

Sarcasm is used relentlessly and we start the kids off nice and early. There's nowhere to hide and taking one's self too seriously is not tolerated.

Self deprecation is taken to an art form also.

I've been in the company of international travellers more than once who've taken me aside to tell me that I probably am a really worthwhile person etc. and I need to not be down on myself so much and I should have more self esteem. At which point I'd probably chuckle inwardly and respond with something like " Yes you're probably right but it's really difficult living life with head like a footy and the body of a sick squid".

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Yes.

Interesting. To "bag" somebody may be an Australianism. Katz didn't make that one up - it's not uncommon.

If I had to guess at the origin of the verb "to bag", I'd guess it is related to something like sheep stealing. If you "bag" a sheep, you literally grab it an put it in your sack, as in the Australian classic song Waltzing Matilda:

...And he sang as he stuffed that jumbuck in his tuckerbag
    You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me​

(I think a jumbuck is a male sheep with horns, and a tuckerbag is a sack you keep your food - "tucker" - in.)

So, by extension, when you "bag" a person, you "score points" off them by insulting them in a way that they can't really deny.

The closest modern alternative to "bagging" somebody, I think, would be to "pwn" them, though the meaning of "bagging" is not as wide.

12. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

i think 'taking the piss' is a more familiar term, but in highschool if you were ridiculing someone we called it bagging them out - *you notice someone trip down the stairs, and say to your friend* "haha lets go bag him out". I'm Aussie andfamiliar with the australian rudeness, especially at family get-togethers, greeting mates as wankers and the self deprecation spud mentioned, etc. but i've never heard an aussie speak the way they did in the article. maybe its too old fashioned or rural, its definitely not suburban NSW.

13. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Bagging out is a very well known expression. It's been around since I was a kid (a fairly friggin' long time) and that it hasn't made it's way to the hallowed halls of the web is no great surprise.

Another friend of mine who, like me is extending his soccer career well past it's use by date and unlike me is as big as a ship and unlike me still has an impressive turn of speed but needs a full sea anchor to turn around let alone pull up and who has been known to mow down slighter and younger opponents is known affectionately as the Mr Whippy Van on legs,..god 'elp those poor kiddies who get mesmerised in the headlights.

14. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

hahaha, thanks for the lols.

15. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

16. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

When I was a kid sarcasm was common in the USA, and it was one of the most common schticks for professional comics.

Somehow I seem to lack the enzyme to digest it, as I do for lactose, baseball and soul music, and I often don't catch it unless it's packaged in the extreme tone of voice that comedians use. When I try to do it absolutely everyone thinks I'm serious and it has gotten me in trouble a few times.

Today it seems to be on the wane, except in the specific province of professional comedians. I think the reason may be that such a large portion of our population is now either from somewhere else or was raised by parents who were from somewhere else, that a form of humor based entirely on the subtleties of cadence, inflection, and a blind guess about the speaker's attitude, is simply lost on them. Although obviously I personally won't miss something I never perceived, just as obviously American culture will be the poorer for it. Especially if the replacement is the vulgar, boneheaded humor of rap music.
    I can appreciate that. Most Americans take themselves too seriously, and we definitely take America too seriously. I thought we'd overcome that in the Flower Power era, but when the hippies became parents they turned into their parents, substituting left for right and rock for swing.
    There you go. They don't understand your type of sarcasm, which relies on the non-semantic characteristics of your speech. Humor is tied closely to language, and often even to culture within a language community. Americans and Britons can usually understand each other's speech quite well, but that isn't always enough to laugh at each other's jokes.

You guys are even harder for us because we haven't spent forty or fifty years being exposed to your movies and TV shows. Your slang is much more impenetrable than British slang.

Although we have no trouble understanding AC/DC and Keith Urban.

"Bag" means "to take" here too. Not necessarily stealing but, for example, finding something in the store you've been looking for for months, grabbing it, and "bagging" it by putting it in your own shopping cart before somebody else does. Hunters talk about "bagging" their game. "I've been on this elk-hunting trip for a week and I thought I was going to have to go home without bagging one, but I got lucky this morning."

"Waltzing Matilda," oddly enough, was a song that was quite popular here in my day, and all the kids in my school learned it. With our childish naivete we assumed it was the Australian National Anthem. (How silly, of course it's "I've Got Big Balls."

) Our teacher dutifully explained swagmen, jumbucks, tucker and billabongs.
    Dictionary.com says it's just a sheep, from the Kamilaroi language word dimba. Of course it doesn't explain where the word for "sheep" comes from in any Native Australian language, since they're not native to the continent. Being an American dictionary it may not go deeply enough into Aussie slang. It's quite possible that it's perceived as containing the element "buck," therefore applying only to male herbivores, and it's common (universal?) in ovine species for only the rams to have horns.

Hmm... Sarcasm is so easy in internet speak. It has its own punctuation mark:

18. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

i intentionally avoid a sarcastic tone, then their confusion over whether i'm joking or not is part of the joke. it gets me in trouble too though. for example serving a customer the other day, i'm grabbing something from the back room with his name on it, his name was Jed, spelt Ged on the box. so when i pass it to him, i point to it saying 'you were wrong, your name is actually Ged, not Jed (pronounced phonetically)'. and he just got pissed off and said 'no thats how you spell my name, its jed'. no shit dude. i said i was kidding but he remained pissed off. lesson to be learned - don't crack jokes if the customer is retarded.

19. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Straight delivery is part of the Aussie technique also.
    That's part of the schtick. If you 'get sucked in', more fool you.

My Nephew got me just yesterday, my sister lives interstate and I see her and her family about once a year. I was cooking up a filthy barbie with satay, scallops and all kinds of goodies. He looked at it, sneered and pronounced " I can't eat that!", completely straightfaced. What he was inferring of course was that he thought it looked and smelled absolutely delicious and he couldn't wait to wrap his laughin' gear around a bit of that.

Fraggle, I will never use the winking smiley, if you don't get sarcasm, you lose!
    Emoticons completely ruin the delivery.