Most significant invention in the history of mankind?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by static76, Aug 5, 2002.

1. static76 The Man, The Myth, The Legend Registered Senior Member

What is the most significant invention in the history of mankind?

My vote is for paper. It allowed us to easily transcribed information for reference and gave future generations the ability to learn info from the past.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

Toilet. Without it we make a mess. Toilet paper is pretty significant too.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

ME!!!

other than my computer and internet and foruming? and the elecrticity and all that keeps it runing?
    hmmm.

i like popcorn

even though i drown in it every day
    paper is definitely wonderful
    yes toilet paper is defiitely a good invention

michrophones
    video and tape recorders

clouds are nice unless they get all dark and rainy, but sometimes even thats nice too.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Freshman Guest

The fire, discovered by ancient humans is the first sign of intelligence. It is the first greatest invention of mankind.

8. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

It will probably take several generations for us to know but I believe that the computer will be the most important invention of mankind. We still have not found all the applications that it can be put to.

One of the problems that developed with the writing down of information was finding it. Once 500 years of accumulated data was committed to paper often one had to rediscover the principals that were lost because those that needed the information could not find it. It was therefore assumed no one had done this action or tested this theory. Books literally rotted with no one to find the info that they contained or pass it to who needed it. This meant that we were condemned to repeat the same experiments every few generations.

With computers this changed. Now you could use a search function to come up with leads as to where the info was or even directly access the information. What this means is that everyone can obtain the information they need (provided they can get authorized on sensitive info). What this did for the community of man is that we went from having some theory proven or discovered and communicated to the public in the form of books and texts within a generation to having access to the same info within a few years. Mankind was doubling its knowledge every generation or two. With the help of computers we are now doubling that knowledge every 6-7 years and it shows every indication of increasing it's speed with computer modeling and databases. Computers have also increased the speed of calculations. What would take weeks to do now takes minutes.

Written language would have to be the most important invention. The ability to transfer information even though the originator was not present or even if the originator was dead. Before this all info had to be pass by word of mouth. The vocal method of transferring information was and is very inaccurate. Many civilizations tried to remember through rote memorization to try and lessen the effect of this inaccuracy. Even here through generations the message altered and was no longer accurate.

9. static76 The Man, The Myth, The Legend Registered Senior Member

But we didn't really invent fire, it's a natural occurence that happened before we were on this planet.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Freshman Guest

But what makes you think that humans came from another planet?

11. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"But what makes you think that humans came from another planet?"

Um, Freshman. There was a time before humans on Earth.

12. static76 The Man, The Myth, The Legend Registered Senior Member

Haha, you know what I meant. Fire was here before humans were able to reproduce it.

13. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Lightning was present on this planet before there was life of any sort, being as it is a naturally occurring phenomenon. Researchers believe that it was a contributing factor to the development of life.

Welcome to sciforums, freshman.

14. Freshman Guest

Reproducing fire is a human invention discovered by accident, eventhough fire is present before any sort of life. The act of reproducing fire is an invention.

15. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I would argue that reproducing fire was a discovery, not an invention.

16. Lykan Golden Sparkler Registered Senior Member

The greatest human invention i would say is children.

After that, i would say art in its various forms -- music, literature, paintings, sculpture, architecture, etc.

17. Freshman Guest

Your right about fire being a discovery, but I think without fire, humans will not have survived and goes on to discover "inventions" thousands of years later.

18. static76 The Man, The Myth, The Legend Registered Senior Member

What about whiny and spoiled children.

Or children who grow up to be Republicans...

Come on, that's way to vague. You have to narrow it down a little.

19. static76 The Man, The Myth, The Legend Registered Senior Member

The same could be said for water, another thing we didn't invent...

20. Freshman Guest

Yes, water is a basic human need. But, without fire humans cannot use it to cook food from hunted animals. They would have to eat the meat raw. No fire also means no heat when it's cold at night.

21. Lykan Golden Sparkler Registered Senior Member

Yes, all children.

And no, i don't "have to" narrow it down.

22. Freshman Guest

The greatest invention is the sundial. It is the first time that humans can keep track of the day.

23. kmguru Staff Member

While fire may be the key item to start a society, it also died as in old civilizations without furthur advances.

I would say the prime mover without using animals or humans as in steam engine, IC engine, electric motor etc that amplified physical "work"

Netx step in evolution of civilization would be mental amplification ie Computers.