I have nothing against blacks and mexicans I just don't want them in my neighborhood

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by S.A.M., Dec 1, 2009.

?

Is it racist to not want people of other colours, cultures in your neighborhood?

1. Yes

76.2%
  2. No

9.5%
  3. Some other opinion

14.3%
  4. Abstain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I have nothing against blacks and mexicans I just don't want them in my neighborhood

Is this a racist statement?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

apsolutly, you think racists come out and say "hey im a racist, i dont like black people"? no one is THAT honest

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cath Registered Member

I would say that it is, however people have a right to voice opinions, even if they go against the norm.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

But I could simply enjoy living in a neighborhood that reflects my "identity" which just simply happens to be neither black nor hispanic. Imagine if all my neighbors were black or hispanic. Wouldn't I feel lonely? Uncomfortable? Unhappy? Displaced?

Is it wrong to want to live with people who are like me, share my religion, my customs and my lifestyle?

Don't I have a right to choose what kind of street I live in? And ensure that it stays that way?

8. Cath Registered Member

Yes you do have a right to choose what kind of street you live in. And ensure that it stays that way. I wouldn't feel any of those things you said, if the street stayed crime free, clean and friendly then that's all I would be happy with.

9. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

The answer to all of your questions is "yes" except for the final one (keeping it that way). By what gosh-awful means would you propose to accomplish that anyway??

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

By restricting who can live there and how of course. Having likeminded people in the same neighborhood increases the possibility of keeping it free of social and cultural influences I desire to restrict. In Mumbai for example, its perfectly legal to say I want only Muslims in my society. That way your entire society will be occupied only by Muslim tenants. Some people call it discrimination but after the 1992 riots who wants to take a chance?

11. Alexander8 Registered Member

No because racism is asserting that one race is superior to another.

12. Cath Registered Member

Look at it like this, would you want criminals living next to you? Of course I am not saying that everyone is a crinimal but wouldn't you want to keep it free of crime for the sake of children?

13. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

You could give that any label you choose. However, in all Western nations, that's the VERY description of discrimination - and it's illegal in all those places.

14. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

People have the right to live among their group if they so wish. I don't consider it racist. What I would consider racist is if blacks and hispanics were not allowed to buy a home. Someone who doesn't want to live among blacks and hispanics can always move to a neighborhood that reflects their clan or whatever.

15. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

While that sounds like a simple matter to say, it's not often easy to actually sell your house and move to where you'd like.

16. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Discrimination is the term I would use.

17. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Well that's a different point. I mean we have all heard of the term 'white flight'. It happens all the time. People can move where they like if they really want to but doing so because you don't like your neighbors isn't racist. People tend to live among their own anyway. If you go to greenwich village you would find that its a predominantly homosexual community with gay bars etc. If you go to harlem you will find mostly blacks. We have neighborhoods where only the rich live. If you are a conservative religious person you probably won't move into a neighborhood that has a strong homosexual presence. Does that make them homophobic? I don't think so. Why aren't blacks racist for living predominantly among their own?

18. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

No, but doing so because you don't like your neighbors race is.

19. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

No its not. Racism is the combination of power and prejudice. In other word racism does not simply connote a feeling or sentiment (that's thought policing and political correctness). Racism is when you use power to thwart someones progress and liberty in society. Not wanting to live with someone doesn't take away the rights of the other.

20. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

What happens when a bunch of people who don't like living with a certain group get together and form their own little community, then a person of that feared group attempts to live in that community. Are you saying that it would be openly accepted by the majority there that fear that very thing happening? Furthermore racism is merely discrimination that is based on a persons race, so not liking someone because of their race IS racism.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

But everyone is forming their own little community aren't they? Not liking someone because of their race is not racism. You have blacks who dislike whites but we do not call them racists because they have no power to exercise their dislike. Not wanting to live with someone is not racist. Note sam's example does not say that they dislike the group they just don't want to live with them! I don't know what you mean by said fear group attempting to move into the community maybe you can give me a clearer example of what you mean.

Someone can move into a neighborhood, its neither racist nor illegal for the old neighbor to move away into another community. Racism is prejudice plus power. Its not thinking 'I wish the whole neighborhood didn't smell like curry' or 'I wish the dominicans wouldn't throw such loud parties every weekend'. We have lot's of exclusive communities. How many blacks, Irish or Italians live in conservative jewish communities?

22. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

I ask you this why is it racist for a white person to say they dont want to have ethnic people in their neighborhood or schools but it is not when an ethic group dont want to be part of a mixed environment.

23. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Racism: n.

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
    2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Discrimination: n
    Treatment or consideration based on class or category rather than individual merit; partiality or prejudice.

If a bunch of White people live in an area that they chose to live to escape living with black people, how fair do you think they will be when a black person decides to live there? You don't think they will have a more difficult time in that community, maybe the homeowners association will be extra tough on them. Maybe they will have the police called on them for trying to enter their own house?

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/07/harvard.html

Accepting segregation is the opposite of progress. It is nothing more than fear of difference, and that kind of fear can spawn horrible things.