Prescient

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by Ellie, Nov 23, 2009.

?

It is a new word.

1. Yes

20.0%
  2. No

80.0%
  1. Ellie Banned Banned

Pronounced - Pre(eh) shint.

What can we make this word mean? It is too good and i just thought of it today.

The fact is though that all circumstances that need words already have words for them and some even have multiple words tht meant the same thing.

Here i was thinking 'sentient'

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sentient

What i think Prescient can mean is like when the doggie chased me and hit the tow truck. From the point he hit the bumper to where he was dead he was prescient being.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

to me prescient sounds like combination of prestige and sentient. It is like this: "King Charles the III took a prescient oath to never bow before any monarch but a reflection of self in eyes of his queen Elizabeth"

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ellie Banned Banned

Be advised the poll is public.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

8. Ellie Banned Banned

It does work good in a sentence. I had to google it to be sure it was not already a word.

I would rather something more tangible.

9. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

How well did that work?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Edit: ignore this now

10. Ellie Banned Banned

11. Ellie Banned Banned

http://thinkexist.com/dictionary/meaning/prescient/

i have this ability. sometimes i close my eyes and i get a sensation that something is coming at me full speed and entering my head through my closed eyes. Which, i believe, is part of being psychic.

If anyone else has this sensation let me know.

12. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Since "psychic" doesn't actually exist it's unlikely that the impression will be "part of it".

It's part of being human.

13. Ellie Banned Banned

you have experienced that?

14. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

* * * * NOTE FROM THE MODERATOR * * * *

Prescience is already a word, from Latin pre-, before, and scientia, knowledge. It means "knowledge of something that will occur in the future," and is similar to clairvoyance and other such woo-woo. It is also used humorously to mean "prophecy," if the prediction in question has come true.

So the adjective "prescient" means "able to see the future." I don't think there's any such word as "prescientist."

16. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Pfft you can be a preschooler so you can be a prescientist!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  17. Dredd Dredd Registered Senior Member

Word history is a study of the DNA of culture.

In society, where words are forged into cups that can hold many liquids, the use of words can be haphazard.

Your subsequent posts here show that you are leaning toward the mystical tributaries of this word.

The more secular, scientific, or governmental word to convey the same meaning would probably be "vision".

There is a post that covers some of the value the two words represent.

18. deicider got omnicidead Registered Senior Member

So ellie tell me bout that psychic abilities of yours.
    Did they knew that u were gonna get trolled?

19. mugaliens Registered Member

Try prescience. It's only been around for a few hundred years...

20. superstring01 Moderator

Frank Herbert used the word wantonly in his 1965 novel, "Dune." So, at the VERY least, it has to have existed since then (and realistically, I'm assuming it's been used many, MANY times for MANY years before that).

You just haven't heard of it 'till now.

About a decade ago, while I was living in Phoenix, AZ, I heard Jane Kaczmarek (of "Malcolm In The Middle" fame) give an interview about her recent luck (her husband being an actor on the US TV series, "The West Wing") and how everything in her life was going right. At some point she used the word "detritus", which theretofore I had never heard (well, never knowingly heard). I pieced together a reasonable definition by hearing its usage, but before making it into my apartment to look up the exact definition, I heard it two more times. Certain that the universe was fucking with me because (a) I have always had a substantial grasp of the Engrish language (including vocabulary) and (b) it was just impossible that I missed a word that was apparently used so often on the radio (three different places that day), I insisted on asking every friend I had if they'd heard of the word.

Most said "no". Rather than confirm my acute paranoia, it merely confirmed the fact that all my friends were meat-heads with no vocabulary. This isn't the first time in my life this has happened (the sudden discovery of a new word, then realization that it had been used all along without me noticing it), but it was the most dramatic entry of a word into my life.

See, I'm betting that, in our lives, there are hundreds of terms floating around that go in one ear and out without sticking to any particular neuron. But one day, something happens to make the brain go, "Huh. . . what was that?" And suddenly where there was empty space, there is now a word that we never knew we needed or existed. Thus, I have "detritus" (and "yearn" learned in 7th grade English) along with a host of others.

~String

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009