Could we be the reason for destruction?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by christa, Nov 4, 2009.

1. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

Squirrel is watching a show on the science channel, its talking about how they have created a machine that could do fusion things.. and i get to thinking. If i remember right, awhile ago they said that there was a black hole near our universe right?

man reason for this thread...

Could we be the reason for our future self demise? With everything that we are doing could it all blow up? Maybe create a new black hole? Or would we explode to nothing and have a new would be created by "the big bang theory"? What is on the other side of the black hole? And dont give me this warped timed bullshit!! I am not listening to that crap!!! you have not been there, noone has ever been!!!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

A black hole near our universe? There is a black hole, a very big one, at the center of our galaxy. There most likely is a supermassive black hole at the center of many, if not most, of the larger galaxies. Cygnus XR-1 is a black hole, a stellar sized one, that is considerably closer to us than the supermassive at the center of our galaxy. There are in fact several black holes in our galaxy alone. Here is a list of candidate stellar black holes in the Milky Way: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_black_hole#Candidates.

Mod hat

Thread moved to pseudoscience.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

ya there! haha

but what I am asking is, could we possibly be creating things in our world, that if everything blew up, could it cause a possible earth shattering event? could it cause a black hole?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

anyone else have ideas?! PLEASE!

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You hand over the reins of the world to people with no morality, who support killing and war crimes because it helps them to "progress" [ie deplete the world of even more resources] and there you have it.

We're doomed! :runaway:

9. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

to bad we couldnt just bored a ship like on all the star track shows or whatever and jut live there.. hahhaa.. that way, if the earth does end up being its own doom maker, we can not be here and tell everyone we told you so...

but its still not what I am asking.. lol tho it is a small part

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Progress is generally measured by the ability to kill large numbers of people so efficiently that you don't even need to be there or take a body count.

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

The short answer: no.

A black hole if formed when a massive star collapses, a star much bigger than our sun, in fact. Mankind has nowhere near the ability to harness enough energy to cause an earth shattering event.

Alarmists and kooks will keep telling you that, but they often don't have the necessary background to formulate such opinions, and mostly just rant.

So, you highjack yet another thread to promote your agenda of hatred. Well done, asshole. :bravo:

12. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

We could, as much as we couldn't. It depends on our economic, social and political choices. We can now blow up the entire planet (at least its surface) with series of massive H-Bombs, or A-Bombs. We can mess up with entire genetic code of living organisms on this planet. Why are we not doing this? It is due to a balanced political choice of humanity, not because our "technological" capability wouldn't allow us.
    We can not create black holes yet, but if we could we would, just as we did genetic copying or atomic explosions. These are controlled experiments, and we will do it as soon as we are able to do, no doubt of that. Would it destroy anything? Mismanagement, accident, wrong policies, unexpected result? Who knows, it's like guessing the weather. It could be sunny, windy, or something else. I hope we survive as much as we could, and I think the intention of many people are in the similar direction: Better, safer, cheaper, less damaging, more benefitting. Yet shit happens...

13. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Before the first tests of the atom bomb, J. Robert Oppenheimer (inventor of the bomb) had to assure people that it would not start a chain reaction in the atmosphere and burn it up completely - killing all life on the planet.
    People had justifiable fears aboout this - not just crackpots.

After the tests were over, a reporter asked him how he knew that the bomb would not trigger this chain reaction.
    His reply: "I didn't".
    He was hoping for the best and gambling with all life on the planet to get his weapon made.

I'd say the odds are not as bad as some would have you think.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah. I agree.

15. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

noone knows for a fact that anything has to be bigger then our sum to collapse. noone has ever been close to see what all is going on. we guess. Have you ever witnessed any of these events happening? How do we know that its not people lieing to us? because there are pictures of said events? How do we know they are not fabricated? and Q, how do you know what mankind doesnt have the technology to cause it? Have you ever been cloes enuff to all the worlds technological advances to touch them?
    baftan, no offence but I am not talking about politics or anything like that.. one cannot control machinery to a T yet.. There is still problems, what if one day, something happens and it blows up...

16. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

Are you talking about the CERN Hedron Collider here?

17. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

Yes and No.

18. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

i have no idea who or what that is.. hahah

19. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

Well which is it yes or no it makes a difference as the collider in theroy will not make a black hole that is sustainible how ever that is theroy they are treading on very shaking ground. All I have to say is I hope they calculated it right. As if they did not then they will successfully create a Black hole in the crust of our planet. And well when it starts to feed it will take out alot of things.

20. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

If you are talking about "decision making and decision taking" on any issue, including yours, you are talking about, or consider the role of, politics. Other than this you are talking about accidents or fortunetelling.

What if something happens and it blows up? What if a giant asteroid hits the world? What if a supervolcano erupts? What if we press the wrong button? These questions are for safety and precaution departments. Yet we will try once we know how things work.

Imagine we if we reach a level of knowledge that reasonably show us the possibility of creating a controlled black hole. Yet we are still not able to detect an actual one with our observing devices. Can you imagine they will not create one? Do you really imagine? What political, social, ethical values or rules out there to stop such an experiment?

21. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

I am not talking about a controlled black hole tho!!!
    I am talking about things going wrong, and all this Fusion matter, Abombs, all that crap blowing us up, and creating a black hole!!!

22. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

The fear is that they will lose control over this "controlled black hole".

23. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

Blowing things up destroy things, doesn't result in black holes. We already blowed even hidrogen, yet we didn't get black hole. Maybe black holes are not created through blowing things up.

When things destroyed and if you were in the centre of it, you wouldn't care if you were separated into individual atoms, or stretched inside a black hole, would you?

However, imagine a situation where we are trying to establish a black hole environment in the future (not necessarily through blowing), and things get out of control. Then we can talk about destruction through a black hole experiment. We don't have this technology yet, maybe in the future.