Do atheists have a God complex?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by S.A.M., Oct 14, 2009.

?

Do you wish other people shared your beliefs?

1. Yes and I am an atheist

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. No and I am an atheist

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. Yes and I am a theist

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  4. No and I am a theist

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  5. Some other opinion (explain in post)

12 vote(s)
    41.4%
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Not the usual atheist bashing thread. But I am curious. It would seem that most ardent and "militant" atheists have a God complex and want control over what other people should believe.

Is this present in all atheists to some extent? Do all atheists wish people believed like them?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

I wish everyone believed what they wanted to believe but remained in peace and harmony amongst each other. Even if they believed in God or not, even if I did or not.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

Not really, atheists mostly enjoy the existence of god-believers around, so they can enjoy to see people in delusion, otherwise world would be too boring...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phlogistician Banned Banned

As an atheist I have a lack of beliefs, as usual, you load your terms and skew meanings.

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Really, SAM. What's unusual about it? You're just bashing the atheists ... as usual.

Well, thanks for your insightful analysis, SAM. You're always worth reading. :facepalm:

Is this worth even responding to? I think not.

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I've started a thread to complement this excellent thread.

[thread=96775]Link[/thread]

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Humans in general have a God complex. I like to call it a superiority complex, I'm sure you noticed..

11. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

I don't believe that god complex occurs according to your feelings and thoughts in general concerning the idea of any creator. Mostly it's something related what people do and experience with life that leads them to believe it's the most valuable, powerful thing; 'concept' and 'action' on earth. i.e. Surgeons and physicians might have god complex along with their god syndrome. Or architects, physicist, quantum-cosmologists, all because they think they are 'doing', practising isthe most important thing for human. In my opinion, those militant atheists has the same weakness as theists, which implies the need for an intervention in human life. As a nonmilitant atheist, I also suspect that they are brutally fed up with theist bullshit and the great nausea caused because of it. Trust me, it can really make you sick. So, I can't see a real atheist having a god complex. E: Atheists insisting on the point that there is nothing divine before or after or as a result over all in life, for any extra terrestial or terrestial species automatically percieved in tyhe limits of god complex and sorts. If you consider there is actually no space for real 'discussion' in theism or any religion. (That includes Buddhism and the sort for me, religion is religion I don't care how many or what kind of god it has) And you are telling this wouldn't be considered as god complex? I say it would be. For theists, even discussing the possibility of a creator's existance stands for a certain existance in human; heresy! Lol, I love that. And now, I am supposed to think that they have any possibility to consider anything from an objective view point? Come on, Sam. I know you are a theist, but even you should accept that even framing this argument between 'theists' and 'atheists' is over polite and naive.

12. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

There you go with humans again. I just love it when you do that.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Thanks Ej, I'm doing my best here..

14. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Tired of being slammed as delusional Sam has parlayed her inability to understand this symptom of her psychosis to now include atheists.

15. draqon Banned Banned

, psyched out PsychoticEpisode proclaims.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

This is strange, no atheist here thinks all theists should abandon their beliefs and become more like them?

Well, that is good to know.

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I'm an atheist and my kids go to church. Well, my son no longer does, but my daughter is even in the church choir.

I think its important for people to find their own way. I don't wish others followed my belief, I just wish believers were more tolerant of mine. For some reason most believers think atheism = satan worshiper.

18. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Draq, suddenly aware that he is probably also delusional is taking the SAMe approach and in a pathetic attempt tries to include this author as one who shares his affliction, which of course makes Draq more deluded than originally thought.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think you're practically the only atheist here who hasn't made a derogatory comment about theists [at least I don't recall any]. Did you always feel this way?

Or did you gradually come to that realization?

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

she just asked a question. Why the attack?

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Because in the big scheme of things I don't think it matters. If you need religion to make the life you have easier, why not.
    Some people only focus on the bad things done in the name of god, but I have seen churches feed and clothe the poor, bind communities together, help after disasters, etc.

My son is an atheist, but he works for the Salvation Army every holiday season as a bell ringer. He realizes its not about him, its about helping others.

22. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I think it's a bogus question, as you can't say anything is true of "atheists" other than they do not have a belief in God. That is all they have in common.
    Atheists, theists and others may or may not have a God complex, dpedning on the individual.
    You may as well ask if Veterinarians or Eastern Europeans have a God complex.

Pigeon-holing any group can lead to nothing positive - it is a divisive weapon.

23. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Attack? If a mechanic tells you your car needs repair is it an attack?