Super-Morbidly Obese

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Mickmeister, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

We were watching the worlds largest woman and the worlds largest man the other night. They also featured the worlds largest teenager weighing in at over 600 pounds. OMG, how can someone get to almost 1,000 pounds???? I partially blame the supplier for the obesity too. The person giving them the food could have said no. These people could not even get out of their rooms. The walls had to be cut out.

What was the most disturbing thing about the show was when they said there are now more than 2 million Americans who weigh in more than 500 pounds.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

When they die how are they buried? With a bulldozer and a fork truck?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

they used a crane on the woman that died in the first show.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I'm dubious.

8. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

People get that big because other people bring them food and let them just sit there I say we need to lock up the people that bring the food to these over eating behemoths and charge them with atempted murder but that is just my thought. As if these people did not bring or buy the food they the Fat ones would eventually lose enough weight to go get it themselves.

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

My Own Kind of Moralism, and Something Hopefully More Useful

I think the amount of hatred around this site is pathetic. And this is one issue in which it is truly wasted.

Yes, there is much that many overweight, obese, and morbidly obese people could have done or can do.

Yes, there are enablers.

No, not every aspect of obesity or morbid obesity is always specifically behavioral.

Yes, I have a bird with some people's name on it over this issue.

Look, if the only reason you give a fuck about morbidly obese people is the need to put them down in order to feel better about yourself, put the metaphorical fork down, and just say no to another helping of that high-righteous moral syrup. It's empty calories, people.

When you start dealing with the issue responsibly, you'll find there is more to it than you would otherwise pretend, and that there are far more important issues about it than your own moral satisfaction.

Get the fuck over it.

• • •​

As to more useful considerations:

According to the F-Word blog ("Food. Fat. Feminism."—might I add, "Whatever"?), the stat is repeated on both Half-Ton Mom and Half-Ton Dad, but isn't sourced. Something that is sourced, however, is the following:

The news outlets are all over a new report that suggests that obesity has now eclipsed overweight in America. The 2005-2006 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, released last month, indicates that an estimated 32.7 percent of U.S. adults 20 years and older are overweight, 34.3 percent are obese and 5.9 percent are extremely obese.

(boldface accents added)

As to the two million number, it may be plausible. I know, it strikes me as insane, too, but the F-Word notes that:

Two million sounds like a lot of people, but when you measure it against the national population, it’s fairly insignificant. To put it into perspective, consider this: The U.S. Census Bureau puts the U.S. population at 305,602,155. Those two million people who weigh more than 500 pounds represent just 0.65 percent of the national population.

(boldface accent added)

And, by that same post, for contrast, 3.7% of American females will become anorexic at some point in their lives, and 4.2% bulimic. Indeed, looking to the National Institute of Mental Health:

The three main types of eating disorders are anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and binge-eating disorder.

• Females are much more likely than males to develop an eating disorder. Only an estimated 5 to 15 percent of people with anorexia or bulimia and an estimated 35 percent of those with binge-eating disorder are male.
    • In their lifetime, an estimated 0.5 percent to 3.7 percent of females suffer from anorexia, and an estimated 1.1 percent to 4.2 percent suffer from bulimia.
    • Community surveys have estimated that between 2 percent and 5 percent of Americans experience binge-eating disorder in a 6-month period.
    • The mortality rate among people with anorexia has been estimated at 0.56 percent per year, or approximately 5.6 percent per decade, which is about 12 times higher than the annual death rate due to all causes of death among females ages 15-24 in the general population.​

Eating disorders often bring accompaniment psychological dysfunction, or else result therefrom. However many Ho-Hos and fuel tank-sized Diet Cokes people might be stuffing into their pieholes, we're probably not going to see much improvement in behavioral patterns until Americans decide to get up and do something about our abysmal mental health infrastructure.

Notes:

"Food for Thought". The F-Word. January 12, 2009. F-Word.org. October 8, 2009. http://the-f-word.org/blog/index.php/2009/01/12/food-for-thought/

"Obese Now Outweigh the Overweight". LiveScience. January 10, 2009. LiveScience.com. October 8, 2009. http://www.livescience.com/health/090110-obese-overweight.html

"The Numbers Count: Mental Disorders in America". National Institute of Mental Health. August 10, 2009. NIMH.NIH.gov. October 8, 2009. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publ...count-mental-disorders-in-america/index.shtml

10. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

There is no way we can get the fuck over it. They are costing the rest of us money because of their poor health habits! Their health care is causing the rest of us to pay more. We need to have a fat tax! Oh, and by the way, I used to be morbidly obese, but I recognized that I had a problem and did something about it. I changed my lifestyle and lost the weight on my own.

11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Are you just as furious at those who smoke? Drink? Eat fast food? Drive too fast? Go hiking? Skiing? Shop at Wal Mart?

12. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

I am not furious, but I think they should have a surtax on those things, especially drinking and smoking. The problem is that obesity is growing hugely! Just take a look at this Forbes article on the cost of it.

And just a side note, it seems that obese people are more likely to be on the offensive to fit people. Case in point. I cycle 15 miles each way to work every now and then. The drivers that have been rude have all been obese, except for two instances.

13. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

Yes I am fat and I am rude and I used to smoke and yes I drive my car and freaking fast as I want when I can. So if that makes me a bad person so be it but I still feel the world as a whole needs to wake the hell up there are to many PC people around that want to hug trees and save the planet. I will not go into how I would save the planet as it would likely get me banned from the site and I kinda like this site so far. I stand by my first post the only reason people are fat is because they are lazy and dont want to do what needs to be done to be thin and I include myself in that bunch too. So please save your rage for someone who realley cares.

14. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I'm not fat and I never have been. But you can't force someone to change their way of life if they don't want too. And if you weigh close to 1000 pounds you probably have more than just an eating problem. You'll have to address those other issues as well. Otherwise you'll just get fat again.

15. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

16. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

And what about the dangerously thin?

We should add the morbidly skinny to the list, too.

• Treatment of an eating disorder in the US ranges from $500 per day to $2,000 per day. The average cost for a month of inpatient treatment is $30,000. It is estimated that individuals with eating disorders need anywhere from 3 – 6 months of inpatient care. Health insurance companies for several reasons do not typically cover the cost of treating eating disorders

• The cost of outpatient treatment, including therapy and medical monitoring, can extend to $100,000 or more.

• Anorexia is the 3rd most common chronic illness among adolescents

(South Carolina Department of Mental Health)

Additionally, the current estimate suggests that eight million people in the United States suffer from an eating disorder; as many as three percent of American women suffer from anorexia or bulimia. $240,000,000,000 a month for six months to treat these people? Only 30-40% of anorexics will fully recover. The rest will die. Of course, that could be anywhere up to twenty years or more. And we haven't started adding in the cost of treating the complications of eating disorders, including heart disease, which is the most common medical cause of death among anorexics (About.com); suicide appears to be the leading general cause. And one of the risk factors for premature death among people with eating disorders is prior obesity.

I do understand, though, why the morbidly thin are overlooked. Obese people are often annoying. We don't like the way they look. We don't like the way they smell. And that horrible wheezing sound they make when the breathe? Ye gads! Movie theaters, airplanes, public transit .... But there is something else afoot:

The kids over at Boing Boing mocked the Ralph Lauren advertisement to the left because it clearly needs mocking: The model, who was no doubt already tiny, has been photoshopped into something that does not look human.

(Savage)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thin enough? No pressure ....
    (via Slog)

We cannot help any of these people with self-righteous anger or denigration. If we actually care about solutions, something a little more compassionate—and useful—is needed.

Notes:

"Eating Disorder Statistics". South Carolina Department of Mental Health. (n.d.) State.SC.us. October 8, 2009. http://www.state.sc.us/dmh/anorexia/statistics.htm

"Eating Disorders: Anorexia and Bulimia". (n.d.) Adam.About.com. October 8, 2009. http://adam.about.com/reports/000049_4.htm

Savage, Dan. "Do I Look Fat in This?" Slog. October 6, 2009. Slog.TheStranger.com. October 8, 2009. http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2009/10/06/do-i-look-fat-in-this

17. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

And how many of them actually get treatment? My aunt didn't and refused it. She ended up dying from anorexia at the weight of 67 pounds. I suffered from binge eating when I used to be an athlete. I still suffer the effects today from it. I got mine under control myself. As far as 8 million people goes, that still isn't any comparison to the number of obese. There are 201 million overweight/obese people in the US. That far outweighs the number of people with eating disorders. Actually, eating disorder is the wrong terminology, but obesity is also one. Oh, and by the way, I do find the girl in the picture to be utterly ugly! She is extremely repulsive to me. While on the topic, I dated and preferred BBWs, although when I met my wife, she is normal sized.

18. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I watched that show about a month ago too. The worst of the 3 was the one about the teenager. I was getting really pissed off at his mother. She was in the kitchen whipping him up big fatty meals, pretty much killing him. Her excuse was...well he asked for those meals. :bugeye:

When I watch those shows, I just can't even fathom having to be cut out of your own house and carried by a whole team of fireman/paramedics. I would rather die!

Anyone remember Who's eating Gilbert Grape (Johnny Depp) It was a good movie dealing with this sort of thing.

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Anyone see that movie "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" The mother was morbidly obese. In real life she hadn't left her house for a long time either.

I think anti-depressants would help some of these people.

I have more hate for the people who feed them than for the obese people themselves. I want to beat the crap out of the parents who get their kids to those obese weights. I'm glad some states consider it abuse and take the kids away from them.

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

has anyone ever seen super morbidly obese sex sites? I understand chubby-chasers, but this is waaaaaaaaaaay beyond that. And are more men attracted to fat women than women attracted to fat men?

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

No, we need to charge people more for their health insurance if the things they do increase their chance of illness. Insurance is supposed to indemnify you against bad luck, not bad behavior.
    Oh you don't have to tell us, it was obvious. People who have reformed are always the hardest on people who haven't. Ex-smokers are positively militant toward people who still smoke.
    Well isn't that just special? Not everyone is able to do that, even when they try really hard.

Yo-yo dieting scares your caveman's body into always being prepared for the next "artificial famine"--shutting down all unnecessary expenditures of energy and metabolizing food more efficiently. People who lose and regain the same fifty pounds every year eventually reach a point where they gain weight on a 1500-calorie maintenance diet.
    Why don't we just outlaw fun? We can all sit around and read the bible to each other.

You can give up red meat and sugar, you can stop smoking, drinking and taking any other drugs, you can walk to work and go to the gym on weekends.

It may not make your life any longer, but it will sure as hell feel like it.
    I didn't realize it was altered. I have a friend who looks something like that. She's 5'5" and weighs less than 90lb. The guys think she is so hot.
    It happens gradually so they end up with a behavior pattern that practically defines their relationship. Imagine for a moment what it would be like to be trapped in a house with a 700lb spouse who can't get through the bedroom door or perhaps can't even get out of bed--and he's screaming and bawling because you won't feed him. Some epiphanies happen too late.
    There are a lot of parents who are so inept at parenting skills that the only way they can find to make their child happy is to feed him.

Did you see that great movie "Fatso" with Dom DeLuise? The opening scene where he's bawling inconsolably because one of his favorite relatives died. He absentmindedly walks into the kitchen, grabs a ladle, and starts sampling the pasta sauce. Within thirty seconds he stops crying and in a couple of minutes he's okay. What do you have in your bag of tricks that can make somebody feel that good that fast?
    Based upon my own observations I would have to say yes. If I count the number of men I've known who liked fat women I get a positive number--small but positive. If I count the number of women I've known who liked fat men I come up with a zero.

I had a couple of fat girlfriends back in the day. Not morbidly obese but obese. It just wasn't important so long as it didn't affect their ability to do normal things. Sure I stare at girls with hot figures just like the next healthy man, but if a woman doesn't have it she's just not drop-dead gorgeous, but it doesn't make her ugly. It's no more important than if some other aspect of her appearance doesn't match my ideal, like the wrong color hair or not tall enough.

We all have our insurmountable weaknesses and our bad habits. We shouldn't be so hard on others for having their own.

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Do you think its an evolutionary thing (women need healthy fathers to support their offspring) or because men aren't as picky?

23. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

Touche. I used to feel great disdain for fat people. Like Why can't they control themselves? They'd be so much healthier and it's a simple thing to do.

Well, it's simple for me, but not for many others. There are many things that are simple to others but are difficult for me. They could very easily pull the switcharoo and ask me the same question.