Purpose of the universe and our existence..

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Mandana, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Mandana Registered Senior Member

Do you believe that there exists an ultimate purpose for the universe and our existance,and that purpose shall one day be revealed to us?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I do believe that if those who claim we have an eternal soul are correct, then we each elected to be here, so only we can know our personal reasons for coming to live in this material exsitence.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Seconded.

8. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

If that was the case, wouldn't it be so that that 'us' -and all the other entities in universe- in the end is to be the part of ultimate purpose itself?

So, assuming any entity's existance to receive whatever this ultimate purpose in the end is, to ask: "Is there a god?" "And will it ever tell me what's going on?" That's all isn't it?

And the answer is NO.

9. martillo Registered Senior Member

I think there's a main principle in the Universe that could be stated as:

"The purpose of the existence is to enjoy life and if we can't we can think and work to make it possible."

The situation now is that we cannot really totally enjoy life because there's lot of problems (diseases, aging, violence, questionable foods and drinks, the fact that we must work a lot to have a "house" to live, clothing,etc, etc...)

Does this answer your question?

Religions says some "God(s)" created the Universe perfectly and humans "putrified" it or that our "souls" are here to pay some pain for something we could have made in other lifes, in summary that we (humans) are guilty.
    Science has a compatible approach: That Nature is perfect and humans only bring pollution (all kinds: chemical, structural, visual, auditive, etc, etc).

I think in another viewpoint/paradigm, that the Universe has a flaw, particularly that there's a flaw in the Physics of the Universe:
    http://www.anewlightinphysics.com/sections/Universe_Physics_System_flaw.htm

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No, the purposes for our lives are the ones we invent.

11. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Its impossible to answer "no" since if one advocates that the universe has no purpose, one is simply left with one's own purposes.

IOW the universe becomes the field of action (or a tool) to pursue whatever the hell one thinks is important (the standard avenues being wealth and prestige on the road to enjoyment).

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  12. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

No.

Also no.

13. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

On the contrary: it's perfectly possible to answer "no" since the question was "Do you believe".

14. lightgigantic Banned Banned

inasmuch as one can separate belief from action without being hypocritical

15. thinking Banned Banned

NO , I don't believe

16. swarm Registered Senior Member

No.

But you can make one for yourself if you wish too. Many do.

17. swarm Registered Senior Member

No.

The universe is not congnizant in and of itself so of course it has no purpose. Making up purposes is something only cognizant being do to pass the time.

You are hardly left just with your own though. You can also adopt the purposes of other's, your friends, family, country, social groups, the possibilities are endless.

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No.

19. martillo Registered Senior Member

To all "No.": I think YES!

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That is correct. There is no purpose other than the ones we invent.

21. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Thank you.

Now, hopefully, this thread can return to something potentially useful.
    (Though, given the base premisses of the OP, I doubt it....)

22. martillo Registered Senior Member

I think you are confusing things.
    One thing is the purpose of our own lifes but the the opening post of this thread refers to which would be the purpose of the existence of the Universe and everything in it.
    Of course our own purposes in our lifes will be those we would "invent" only but I think a more general purpose for the entire Universe and all possible living beings could be expressed as I have done:

"The purpose of the existence is to enjoy life and if we can't we can think and work to make it possible."

Of course is not a "revelation" of any kind.
    Is just what I think at the end everybody do in the World.

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That's not a purpose to the universe, just a creed. One that we invented to make us happy. Not that there's anything wrong with it, I think the freedom to invent a purpose is wonderful.