Tsunami warning in Seattle

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by draqon, Sep 30, 2009.

1. draqon Banned Banned

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Draq, what sort of panic are you trying to incite now? Don't you know that there are idiots out there who believe this shit? They are probably packing up their belongings even as we post...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

hey I never claimed there was anything in Seattle

just a picture by a local resident...thats all.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

If only

If only. To quote Jack Nicholson's Joker: "This town needs an enema."

If we're lucky, the tsunami will ... oh, never mind. Maybe Susan Hutchinson will get elected as King County Executive and God will punish the people. Thankfully, in such a case, I live in Snohomish County, where people once elected a county auditor—I shit you not—named Bob Terwilliger. And, you know, God didn't punish them.

Of course, the people of Seattle might have bought themselves some favor with the powers that be; Mayor Nickels did not survive the primaries.

8. draqon Banned Banned

But if Susan Hutchinson is elected she can take cover in the Tsunami shelters stationed all around campus colleges. And you can too! Take cover from Tsunami by taking your family atop Mt. Rainier.

9. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

That's "Saint" Helens to you Mr. Draq. Are you trying to get Tiassa blown into the the stratosphere now? Maybe we could have simultaneous tsunami's along with volcanic explosion. Oh my, this has to be the beginning of the end...

10. draqon Banned Banned

Just doing my duty as a citizen, protecting the citizens. Statosphere would be safer of course.

No tsunami issues there, but UV problems might arise...so wear your sunglasses. And remember the higher you stay the safer you are.

11. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Well... :m::m::m:

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Making jokes about a closet creationist in Science & Society is fun, but ....

Cold comfort.

Okay, it's your thread so I should ask you. Where are we going with this? I mean, I can move it wherever you like, but as this is Science & Society, what were you hoping for? A discussion of earthquakes and tsunamis? Civic disaster planning? Architecture and engineering in a tsunami zone?

Don't get me wrong; I'm happy to sit here and pop off Susan Hutchinson jokes until Judgment Election Day. I mean, I loathe the woman as a political candidate. You'd think it would be hard to give politicians a bad name, considering how miserably they are regarded these days, but she actually pulls it off. And the funny thing is that her celebrity is her only advantage, and it might actually be enough (although Constantine is closing fast). Which is another funny thing about politics—celebrity elitism. However, instead of going off on that and sealing this thread's status as a political circus, I should probably get back to the question of what you would like this discussion to consider. I mean, it's not Cesspool material, or anything, but where shall we begin in terms of Science & Society?

13. draqon Banned Banned

well it was meant a joke, Tiassa. Tear it apart. Just a reflection I guess on the possible Samoa earthquake causing something of a noticeable wave in Seattle area...perhaps. I guess what I am really asking is will Seattle feel anything from down Samoa.

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

15. draqon Banned Banned

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

LOL :thumbsup:

17. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

`
    Didn't youse dudes get the T-shirt from last time ?

edit: Seattle didn't get it this time, Samoa did...

18. John99 Banned Banned

the best thing is to research the ocean floor and release the pressure...slowly release the pressure.

19. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

With what ?

20. John99 Banned Banned

some kind of valve.

21. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

I could envision a valve providing some relief from a sudden eruption of molten rock if it was large enough - provided you could keep the "pipeline" from melting or clogging with solid rock if it cooled sufficiently.

Isn't the cause of these quakes titanic hunks of Earth's crust going crackola because one tectonic plate is being driven beneath the edge of another in that area of the world, though ?

Even if we could break off pieces at some pre-determined time with - geez... ...maybe some kind of midget H-bombs detonated like strip mining charges - wouldn't it just cause the same phenomenon ?

22. John99 Banned Banned

most likely it is best to leave well enough alone. h-bombs are not somehting i would use because of the consequences and even a pressure release can have serious consequences.

supposedly hurricanes have a benefit so even if we could eliminate them there may be consequences but i am not sure.

23. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Laugh it up; I'm fine with it

That's fine with me. There doesn't appear to be any malice about it. I just wanted to make sure we weren't submarining an actual issue.

There's no rule that says we can't have a sense of humor about these things.