Writhing for God.

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Enmos, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

They are suffering from a deficiency of LSD.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

lol!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But seriously, what are they doing and why?
    Is it expectation/suggestion induced behavior like hypnosis?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

it's called drama enmos. maybe they thought someone in hollywood would notice them.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Is that what you were doing, Lori- drama?

9. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i don't recall doing anything of that sort.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Then how do you know that's what they are doing? It's a little hard to believe such things, isn't it?

11. Sin Registered Senior Member

They speciously believe that because they have lost control of their normal bodily functions it is God actually taking hold of them and because his power is too immense for them to stand, their body quivers and contorts in all sorts of epileptic nonsense. So the more grotesquely convulsive one's experience, there is an inversely proportional amount of faithfulness or religiosity held by that person. Now the following is merely plausible conjecture but, it was likely started by a group of truly unfortunate people who, while supposedly being healed spiritually, broke down into a medical seizure, and the pastor, trying to save himself from the embarrassment of actually causing a seizure instead of curing the problem, concluded that he was experiencing the mighty rapture by God himself. Word of this spread and soon others began to reason that if they wanted to take their relationship to the next level with God, they too would have to have these sorts of experiences. Support for this idea can be found in the fact that, if I'm not mistaken, these sort of phenomenon are largely localized to our modern times and to areas of liberal protestantism which are themselves relatively modern. Any other accounts of why this might be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a54iqEr1flQ My personal favorite

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

People can create all sorts of strange states of consciousness at will. There is nothing particularly unusual about it, it's how religion has been practiced for millennia. A trance state is invoked through music, repetitive speech, or drugs. The drugs aren't used much in modern America, but the other methods are going strong.

13. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

they're obviously putting on a show. what is it accomplishing? what is their motivation?

who saw what happened to me? nobody. and i sure as fuck didn't look that stupid while it was happening either. cause i wasn't putting on a show.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Writhing for God is implausable, writing for God is. Gotcha.

15. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

it's not implausible. i'm just using some common sense, considering the surroundings and circumstance...

16. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

It seems that over the years, having your mind snap is associated with some form of interference by some religious entity.

Actually you're witnessing a person lose their mind. The convulsive actions are the result of one personality taking over from the other. The real personality is overwhelmed but not without a struggle of sorts.

Fun huh? To sit and watch someone crack before your eyes.

17. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Its called 'catching the spirit'.

Where do you think the Quakers and the Shakers got their name?

18. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

I'm aware of that.

You won't know when your mind snaps, so any name will do. What is your designation?