Who thinks about religion?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Bishadi, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Bishadi Banned Banned

Why would anyone need to think about religion?

What is the reason people would even come to a forum and discuss it?

Anyone notice the increased flow thru this section?

must be a bunch of reasons people could come up with as to why

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. earth Registered Senior Member

Why Would Anyone Believe in God? (Cognitive Science of Religion Series) (Paperback) is a book you can buy at amazon.com for $17.76

Editorial Reviews
    Product Description
    Because of the design of our minds. That is Justin Barrett's simple answer to the question of his title. With rich evidence from cognitive science but without technical language, psychologist Barrett shows that belief in God is an almost inevitable consequence of the kind of minds we have. Most of what we believe comes from mental tools working below our conscious awareness. And what we believe consciously is in large part driven by these unconscious beliefs. Barrett demonstrates that beliefs in gods match up well with these automatic assumptions; beliefs in an all-knowing, all-powerful God match up even better. Barrett goes on to explain why beliefs like religious beliefs are so widespread and why it is very difficult for our minds to think without them. Anyone who wants a concise, clear, and scientific explanation of why anyone would believe in God should pick up Barrett's book. Visit our website for sample chapters!

Apparently our minds are not only designed for thinking about religion but also believing in God. I guess that means most people.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bishadi Banned Banned

thanks for the post.

2 lines and i already see how foolish buying the book would be

thanks for saving me a few bucks

'consciousness; choice'

means we learn what we believe (all cases)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I think about religion often.
    In fact, once my wife finishes school, I plan on majoring in it.
    My intention is not to learn about God through Man's eyes, rather learn about Man through Gods eyes.

Is that valid enough for you?

8. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

But the question was "why would anyone need to," and I think it was satisfactorily answered in post #2.

Where do you intend to go? Undergraduate (right now, that is) or graduate?

9. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Post #2 sounds like a great deal of supposition and armchair psychology to me.
    I have read some from people who believe that we are physically pre-conditioned to believe in deities, and haven't found anything I consider valid yet.
    He may have some quality evidence or reasoning I have not come across yet, but post #2 certainly does not point out what that evidence or reasoning is, therefore is far from satisfactory for me.

We don't need to at all. It is a coping mechanism, it is a social construct, it is answers to the unanswerable, it is a predicatble response to having higher faculties capapble of being aware of our own mortality, it is an extension of the ego and attachment, it is a logical result of insecurity...
    There are lots of reasons why we DO, but we don't need to.

I intend on going wherever my wife gets a teaching job after her PhD (she's in grad school now) and intend on being in school for pretty much the rest of my life.
    I'm supporting her now, so she can support me later. She is my retirement plan. :^)

10. earth Registered Senior Member

You can do some reading of “Why would anyone believe in God?” at Goggle books without buying.

11. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

I don't think it's so much about believing in deities, as it is being predisposed to infrequent (frequent for some) experiences which many are wont to interpret in a religious fashion--you know, that one or two experiences brought on by psychological stress, neurological quirks, etc. I agree that the author cited in post #2 takes it in a curious direction, though.

And you're right, we certainly don't need to interpret them in this fashion--it's just that many are inclined to, as they prefer not to delve into the complexity of physiological explanations.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  12. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

The flaw there is that most believe in God(s) without any experiences of divine intervention, or glitches in the Matrix.
    They believe because they were raised to.

Is it not interesting that regardless how ridiculous and extraordinarily far-fetched a religion may seem to someone of a different religion, it is perfectly normal and reasonable to the follower?
    Until you see contrast, whatever your surroundings are as a child is normal.
    I didn't know I was poor until I met people who weren't.

Many people believe in religion/God(s) for the same reasons that people put up with atrocious abuses and oppressive regimes; for the same reasons that people wear the clothes they do; for the same reasons that people subscribe to one political view or another; for the same reasons that people find social customes endearing - there is nothing mystical, magic or extraordinary about it for many people, and even for those who it is, there is still a very powerful social pressure.
    Why do most people die the same religion they were raised into?

13. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

I think it may be a little of both. Anomalous experiences, of the biological sort, are not all that uncommon and I think that many are wont to chalk them up to the supernatural, possibly out of sheer laziness and/or ignorance, but also because such an explanation is reified (sp?) by the social pressure.

I like the example you cite. For me, that was one of the most "mind-expanding" revelations ever--it had never dawned upon me, until a surprisingly late age, that many people simply do not know lack.

14. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Humans have extraordinarily pliable minds (not to mention physical brains).
    If you teach a child that a man will come down his chimney and bring him presents, along with every other well-behaved child in the world, one night of the year, he will believe it.
    If you tell a child that she is less than a man because she is a girl, she will believe it.
    If you tell a child that the twinkling stars are eyes of angels and they are twinking with tears of joy, the child will beleive it.

Children get every need met by their parents. Food, shelter, love, language...
    If a child has even reasonably apt parents, the child will see thos parents as infallible providers and protectors and all-knowing sages.
    At some point, a child will discover that those parents are just people.
    Exactly when and how that happens will have a profound effect on the person.
    Often times that happens at about the same time the child is becoming self-aware and gathering insecurities.
    Insecurites, fears, self-awareness and recognition of mortality is a powerful mix and will drive many people to look for that one perfect thing - the rock to depend on in a shaky world.
    With proof that mom and dad are just human like you, gods fill that void quite nicely.
    Gods, for most people, can't disappoint you.

If you scrutinize them, they may.
    If you are introduced to othe rpoints of view they may.
    If you depend on them to readily they may.
    When they do, who you have become up to that point in life will largely dictate what your response will be.

If believing in gods makes you feel good, safe, protected, assured about the afterlife... If believing in gods assuages your insecurities, then you will likely continue to believe in them.

People, even "normal" people, can convince themselves of just about anything.
    In an uncertain world, every one of us convinces him/herself of many things all the time.
    You are a Democrat. It is safe to go outside. It is not safe to go outside. People are good and trustworthy - or they are not. You are attractive. Your husband makes you happy. You are a good parent. You are intelligent. You are right. Life is worth living.
    Humans have extraordinarily pliable minds.