Lights, mirrors and clocks conspiring to usurp SRT.

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by geistkiesel, Aug 21, 2009.

1. geistkiesel Valued Senior Member

Another AE gedunken gets gedunked.
    Code:
    LMC               LP <---|---> RP                RMC
    [B]|________________________M________________________|[/B]

|<---------ct------|-----ct -----------><--vt2--->|light after ct 

| vt  [B]|__________________|______M_______________________|[/B]frame after ct

|--------ct------->|<--2vt-->|<--2vt+-->|<----x---|light after 2ct

| <--2vt[B]->|_____________|___________M_______________________|[/B]frame after 2ct
     M shown just as LP reaches [I]the origin of pulses[/I],  M having moved 2vt.

2vt + x = ct after RP reflects from RMC.

A platform has mirrors and clocks, LMC and RMC, located at the extreme ends of platform and are separated by the midpoint of the platform at M. M has a light emitter which emits pulses, LP and RP, simultaneously towards the respective LMC and RMC (or the pulses could be located on the embankment). When the platform is stationary wrt the embankment the round trip travel of both pulses are ct, where ct is the distance M to LMC and M to RMC. Likewise, the arrival times of both pulses at LMC and RMC are the same.

When the platform moves to the right the round trip time of the pulses arriving simultaneously at M is increased by an amount t’ = 2vt/(c – v). There are two pieces of information available to platform observers that the platform is moving and the embankment is stationary.

1. When the platform is in motion with v > 0 wrt the embankment, the arrival times of the pulses at LMC and RMC will be different as the LMC is heading toward an oncoming LP and when arriving at LP after moving ct, the RP is still 2vt from RMC - two different distances for light travel. RP must travel and additional 2vt plus a distance vt’ to catch the RMC. In clear form ct’ = 2vt + vt’, or t’ = 2vt/(c – v), therefore the clocks will indicate different arrival times at LMC and RMC.

2. Very briefly [t’], as LP reflects and RP continues toward RMC both pulses are moving in the same direction – which accounts for the extended time/distance for the round trips of the pulses for the moving platform. After LP reflects at LMC and returns to the origin of the pulses, not returning to M, or after traveling another ct, LP is now at the origin of the pulses and is 2vt from M due to the platform motion now totaling 2vt, and like RP earlier, requires t’ = 2vt/(c – v) additional time to arrive at M. I leave it for an exercise to show that RP and LP arrive simultaneously at M. When measured t’, when the platform v > 0, then t’ > 0, otherwise v = 0.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

So? You're basically describing/rederiving the relativity of simultaneity effect.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

No, you just illustrate, yet again, how you waste what I can only assume is enormous amounts of time trying to construct some elaborate system which shows relativity is not consistent when if you bothered to open a book on SR you'd find explainations as to why your line of thinking is wrong.

Pretty much every time you post one of these threads you try to whine about something which is readily addressed in a book, so if you'd bothered to do some reading before hand you'd know you're going down the wrong path. But instead of doing any honest, open minded research you just claim "Another AE gedunken gets gedunked".

Can you please explain to me why you think the best way to critique an idea is to know as little about it as possible?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. geistkiesel Valued Senior Member

I don't know exactly what you are referring to - can you explain a bit?

8. geistkiesel Valued Senior Member

If you are going to participate in the discussoion why don't you simply give a reference instead of general disagreement with anything I say. So what wrong path? What is not consistent? Join the conversation.

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The opening post appears to be pointless, as far as I can tell.

What are you trying to prove, geistkiesel?

10. CptBork Valued Senior Member

I don't think this idea should be flattered by calling it a "gedanken experiment". In fact, I'm kind of sick and tired of all these people without science backgrounds who keep coming up with silly attempts to falsify Relativity, etc., and they call their concepts "gedanken experiments" as if using the German word for "thought" like famous physicists do would make their work more scientifically rigorous and acceptable. This post does it, I've seen Quantum Quack do it quite frequently too.

Look, mommy! I dressed up like a scientist and now I'm doing a GEDANKEN EXPERIMENT! Aren't you proud?

11. phyti Registered Senior Member

geistkiesel;
    May I suggest space-time diagrams to simplify your ideas, and avoid the lengthy descriptions. A pic is still worth many words, even with inflation.
    The drawing should explain your gedanken.

drawing

12. geistkiesel Valued Senior Member

This was originally discussed by AE.

13. geistkiesel Valued Senior Member

Good question. I remembered a similar thread a while back. When I surfed the net I ran into a detailed conversation that you and I had in 2005. I guess I had already been there. Phyti had the best advice.