Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: arabic classes in denmark

Quote Originally Posted by S.A.M. View Post
    Educated Arabs already read write and communicate in many foreign languages.

e.g.
    So what? That doesn't demonstrate in the least that places like Saudi Arabia integrate their foreigners like the Danes are doing.

You'd be surprised how many "foreigners" live and work in Saudi Arabia.

You'd be just as surprised to know Saudi is doing nothing to assimilate them in the same way as the Danes are doing.

Got any more non-starters?

What would you consider assimilation by the Saudis of the foreigners?

Educated Arabs already read write and communicate in many foreign languages.
    Educated everyone read and write in many foreign languages.

In fear.

Is that why they are asking for citizenship?

Everyone likes a permanent job, Sam. Are muslims not asking for citizenship in the evil, evil West?

Then there is nothing to worry about, is there?

I don't have to worry about their permanent oppression and segregation from the "inclusive" society that includes only people that matches it's top-down expression?

I guess not.

It's just like how if black people get a job, they have nothing to worry about either.

You don't even need to worry if they discriminate where the people should live or if their children are fit to be placed with Arab children or deserve even a tenth of the educational stipend. Its all in the historical context.

Around six millions .

You don't even need to worry if they discriminate where the people should live or if their children are fit to be placed with Arab children or deserve even a tenth of the educational stipend. Its all in the historical context.
    Right! They're only reacting to that!

You know, the longer you associate with me, the wiser I'm sure you become.

Is that why they are asking for citizenship?
    Why not educate yourself instead of talking bs? One does not simply ask for citizenship there, Sam. How little you know of a place you claimed to live. The fact of the matter is that the Danes are heads and shoulders above the Saudis in regards to immigrants.

http://www.moi.gov.sa/wps/wcm/connec...43bd065d67d3ac

Valued Senior Member Mrs.Lucysnow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Challenger78 View Post
    I would have thought teaching the native language of the country would be a greater priority. I'm not opposed to it. But I don't see how it can benefit integration. If the Danish take it, it will, but if the Arabic population in Denmark uses it to their advantage, is it not then only increasing ethnic barriers ?
    No its not that it would take priority. Most Danes leave school with a mandatory English and German and an option for French. Well now they have an option for one more language which they think would be useful its not mandatory. Danish is still being taught in classes believe me. This course is offered only in the capitol of Copenhagen in its public school system across the board. I think its a good thing but then again I think the more foreign languages one can speak, no matter what the language, is a part of a good education.

Valued Senior Member Mrs.Lucysnow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by orcot View Post
    I do believe the west is doing serious efforts to integrate Islam and I'm sure the west in the best place to integrate a other culture, however those who do not speak the danish language will have something of a permanent foreigner status and will have serios dificulties finding a job, I'm not sure if I own a factory that I wan't a employer who can not explain to me directly that someone is in trouble because of a accident, I also would be painend if he misunderstood a detailed explenation of the job he should do nor would I sign a contract writen in a unknown languege or let someone sign a contract that they can't read.

This means I would not even accept someone as a housemaid if she didn't speak the job.
    Foreigners who do not learn Danish will not be granted citizenship full stop. So if they don't learn it they will have to leave.

Valued Senior Member
    So the Danes are going to include Arabic in the curriculum. Seems smart. Possibly more useful than French or even Spanish for most Danes. Certainly could help build some bridges. I think it makes sense for any second language that is the first or home language of much of the population to be taught in the schools. Seemed like a good thing in the US where Spanish was offered as a foreign language.

Is this really controversial?

Or to ask this another way?

The harm is what?

What is the big deal? It IS a language. My high school offered a few different languages, i chose German. I donte even know any German speaking people.

Valued Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enmos View Post
    Do you think a whole lot of (native) Danes are going to take those courses, or do you think it will mostly be the children of Arab immigrants ?
    Time, time, time.....
    Where I grew up I watched the demographics in the Spanish classes shift back and forth. Also if your mother tongue ability increases, your second language skills increase. If you understand the grammar of your native language you tend to undertand other grammars better. It is a no lose addition to the curriculum.

I visited Danemark and nearly everyone I spoke to spoke English well .

all these different languages is primitive anyway. a throwback to the stone age.