Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: arabic classes in denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Lucysnow View Post
    Oh I get it, a few people come over with their chickens and its the Danes who have o assimilate towards them. It is this attitude that has brought the nationalist party into parliament in Denmark, congratulations.

What was it in that cartoon and the ticking time bomb?
    Then its the Danes choice too, isn't it? To go extremist or assimilate

Valued Senior Member Mrs.Lucysnow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iceaura View Post
    Assimilate? Looks more like acceptance of fragmentation and permanent "foreigner" status for the Arabic speakers.
    That's what she wants. Sam always seems to fight integration in these threads.

Quote Originally Posted by mike47 View Post
    The Jews are a huge success when it comes to keeping their language, religion, culture and unity .
    Is it any surprise that they were discriminated against for it?

Valued Senior Member Mrs.Lucysnow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S.A.M. View Post
    Then its the Danes choice too, isn't it? To go extremist or assimilate
    These immigrants are not given instant citizenship anymore, there are now strict rules in terms of what one must show in order to become citizens which is an honor not a right.

These immigrants are not given instant citizenship anymore, there are now strict rules in terms of what one must show in order to become citizens which is an honor not a right.
    Reminds me of quadraphonics post the other day:
    Quote Originally Posted by quadraphonics
    Are you asking if it's evil to want to live in segregation? It's tempting to say yes, but then we notice that ethnic nationalism is widely accepted all over the world. And what is that, but the premise that each nation should be defined in ethnic terms, and be entitled to a homeland and state to nurture it? And this global system of segregation appears to be considered by most to be desirable, even moral (or at least, necessary). People only seem to view it as undesirable when it occurs inside the confines of a nation, and then usually only if the state applies repression in its service.

An honour to be a Danish ?.....Huh....!.

It would indeed be an honour to be Danish.

I dislike Sam's casual supremacist tone here. She seems to be implying her whither-be Darwinist approach to society while riding high her hobby-horse. "Let the Danes fight or die". And if they fight, what then? Sam will damn, presumably.

I think it's fine, 10% of the population speaks Arabic and so it should be in the school. I think they should also work very hard at teaching ALL Danish a few other things about different cultures and THIS would be the perfect time to start teaching those classes. This is about integration, inclusion, and so children should begin to learn about other ideas...

Moderator note: 45 off-topic posts have been deleted.

Please try to stay on topic.

I would have thought teaching the native language of the country would be a greater priority. I'm not opposed to it. But I don't see how it can benefit integration. If the Danish take it, it will, but if the Arabic population in Denmark uses it to their advantage, is it not then only increasing ethnic barriers ?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I think it's fine, 10% of the population speaks Arabic and so it should be in the school. I think they should also work very hard at teaching ALL Danish a few other things about different cultures and THIS would be the perfect time to start teaching those classes. This is about integration, inclusion, and so children should begin to learn about other ideas...
    Yup, I agree!

I'm glad we had the opportunity to learn French in school. The western narrative is dominated by English and although we have no French speakers in the country, learning a different language exposes you to other parts of the historical narrative simply by making you aware of them. It also helps you in unrelated ways [e.g. I found it easier to learn Arabic because the grammatical structure is similar to French]
    Quote Originally Posted by mike47 View Post
    Integration in what sense ?.
    Do they expect them to change their religion and their customs ?.
    Of course not .
    Education is necessary but not to kill my culture and nourish yours .
    Exactly

All aboard, me Hearties! Captain Kremmen's Avatar
    They should have the classes in every country.
    Exercise that gets your heart pumping is really good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Challenger78 View Post
    I would have thought teaching the native language of the country would be a greater priority. I'm not opposed to it. But I don't see how it can benefit integration. If the Danish take it, it will, but if the Arabic population in Denmark uses it to their advantage, is it not then only increasing ethnic barriers ?
    There really has to be a revamp of the whole school system. Plopping in a class in Arabic isn't enough. All Danish children need to feel they included in Danish society. There are a lot of things I think should be taught - children should be pretty much primed to think their religion is a choice, but, that it isn't any better than another other religion.

For example, Arab Muslims that have converted to Buddhism or Judaism or Xian or Atheism or Scientology should also be included in the course curriculum. As well as people who have converted to Islam. Each person should impress upon the children why they did or did not make their choice. This of course is going to be some very liberal people, but, I think they would be one good experience for young kids. They should be seen as equal. That's just the way it must go.

Yup, I agree!
    really?!?!?

For example, Arab Muslims that have converted to Buddhism or Judaism or Xian or Atheism or Scientology should also be included in the course curriculum.

Thats generally how it is. Arabic speaking Christians and Druze for example, are not Muslims

There really has to be a revamp of the whole school system. Plopping in a class in Arabic isn't enough. All Danish children need to feel they included in Danish society. There are a lot of things I think should be taught - children should be pretty much primed to think their religion is a choice, but, that it isn't any better than another other religion.

For example, Arab Muslims that have converted to Buddhism or Judaism or Xian or Atheism or Scientology should also be included in the course curriculum. As well as people who have converted to Islam. Each person should impress upon the children why they did or did not make their choice. This of course is going to be some very liberal people, but, I think they would be one good experience for young kids. They should be seen as equal. That's just the way it must go.
    I see. That way, we give them the perspectives to make informed choices in life. Perhaps we could even have atheists.

Valued Senior Member
    I do believe the west is doing serious efforts to integrate Islam and I'm sure the west in the best place to integrate a other culture, however those who do not speak the danish language will have something of a permanent foreigner status and will have serios dificulties finding a job, I'm not sure if I own a factory that I wan't a employer who can not explain to me directly that someone is in trouble because of a accident, I also would be painend if he misunderstood a detailed explenation of the job he should do nor would I sign a contract writen in a unknown languege or let someone sign a contract that they can't read.

This means I would not even accept someone as a housemaid if she didn't speak the job.

Do you think having one Arabic language class will make all the other classes in Danish redundant?

And the Danes are addressing their issues. Which is a good thing.
    The Danes don't have an issue, Muslims have the issue.

If they don't like it, they will fight or move. Or assimilate. But I am glad the Danes are taking an initiative to assimilate.
    Why should Danes have to assimilate. Muslim don't have to live there if they don't like it.

I'd say Danish society has an opportunity to learn a new language here

Its how I learned French.
    Really? So, when will the Islamic states begin to teach and learn other languages and assimilate with their foreigners?

Never? Most likely.

Educated Arabs already read write and communicate in many foreign languages.

e.g.

English Teachers - Saudi Arabia - Eastern Province
    By:CCM Recruitment International <Show E-Mail>
    Date: 10 June 2004

URGENT : English Teachers

Situated in the town of Al-Khobar in the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia,
    Currently there are about 800 students on roll, mostly Saudi nationals,
    between 6 and 18 years

http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-...e=24;read=1301