Fake or not?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by CatherineW, Aug 7, 2009.

1. CatherineW Registered Senior Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkwh4ZaxHIA

I'm on another forum and most people think this video is fake, is there any way that you can make a reasonable estimate with average distances/weight/height to show whether this video is fake or not?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It would be hard to tell but there was a cut away at just about the point of impact. There's a slight jiggle at the time of impact. It looks like they cut in the pool and took out the ocean at the last few seconds of the film. Without proper equipment though it is hard to prove this evaluation, it is only from watching it very slowly.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CatherineW Registered Senior Member

It would be cool if it was real though, huh?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

fake. There is no way those couple buckets of water made it wet enough to slide down

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Actually it would be rather dangerous if it were true, but it is a fake.

9. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

You could just calculate it using the projectile motion equations and conservation of energy.

10. Dirty Dan And knowing is half the battle Registered Senior Member

LOL that was badass....even if it was fake. Yea, it would take much more than a couple of buckets of water for him ti get up to speed to go that far. Awesome video and thanks for the post.

11. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

who's to say they didn't use more water than that

I bet it's real

12. John99 Banned Banned

looks real.

13. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

May be fake. But I think I could do it, so I doubt it.

14. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

I think its a fake, that hill looks pretty shallow and he does not start too much higher on the hill then where the he leaves the ramp, and he accelerates suddenly where the ramp is getting shallower near the bottom and then flies way farther then it looks like he should.

15. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Based on weight and his likely velocity from that ramp, I find it hard to believe he'd travel so far. That's without mentioning the lack of movement from the pool.

16. kurros Registered Senior Member

That's awesome, but there is no way it's real. The amount of air he got was absolutely huge. It compares with some of the biggest jumps that snowboarders do in back country areas with 10 feet of powder to land on. He'd get so messed up landing in that little pool from such a jump, not to mention how lucky he'd have to be to actually hit it in the first place.
    I don't think the launch looks big enough to get that much air anyway.

17. CptBork Valued Senior Member

I have no doubt it's a fake, I'm just wondering what kind of cheap, simple movie tricks they could have used to pull off the effect.

18. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

true, but those might be just that LAST couple of buckets that put down. That's like saying, it's fake b/c there's no way the water could have magically appeared in that empty pool before he landed in it. I'm sure it was wet before they poured those last two buckets down it.

19. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

20. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

21. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

nope, from all the language it's been translated in, the witnesses that were there that have testified that it was real, and the shows he has been on around the world and the celebrities that have wanted to meet him? I am going to conclude that he worked out the mathematics of it with a crash test dummy, the wind gauge, etc. and it was indeed a real stunt.

22. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

Do you have any idea how much water weighs? His weight compared to the weight of the water I think would be more than enough to absorb his energy.

It's really unbelievable these days how people can't believe their own eyes. They think amateurs have the Hollywood wizardry of big studios.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

a point I made also about the water

i think it's real because there are people stupid enough to try it