Great Texts represent their meaning through any language

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Challenger78, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I hate shakespeare.
    But he can't do anything about it.. obviously...

Great texts, arguably can represent their meaning in any language and have the same impact.

So.
    IF Shakespeare's plays are such great plays, /end sarcasm,
    Why not convert them to a modern language, to make them accessible to more people ?

And why is it considered a perversion to change the language, by these elitist critics ?
    Does the text not deserve to be more accessible ? Or does the thought of having a construction worker understand hamlet trouble these critics ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

why cant you convert those people to watch shakespear? why should somthing that was written many years ago be converted so people can watch it, read it, whatever?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Why not ?
    We don't live in the past. Why should they teach us something written for the past? Not even translated?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

It has been done (I think - there are a couple of [loosely-based] films and some stagings of his plays are "updated").
    But sometimes it's not so much what is said so much as how as well that counts.
    How about

"Oh, she doth teach the torches to burn bright!
    It seems she hangs upon the cheek of night
    Like a rich jewel in an Ethiope’s ear,
    Beauty too rich for use, for earth too dear.
    So shows a snowy dove trooping with crows
    As yonder lady o’er her fellows shows.
    The measure done, I’ll watch her place of stand,
    And, touching hers, make blessèd my rude hand.
    Did my heart love till now? Forswear it, sight!
    For I ne’er saw true beauty till this night..
    "
    as contrasted with:

"Wow! Babe! I wouldn't mind giving her one"

8. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

^ Good Texts make their point without overstaying their welcome. That was definitely overstaying their welcome. the bottom line was a bit too short.

I never understood cloaking your desires in verse, when rap, or even simple direct conversation perhaps makes it clear and direct.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Not only can texts not be translated and retain all of their original meaning, even within the same language, the meanings of words change.

10. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Rap is verse - it's just not very good, usually.

Simple direct conversation is what you find in Shakespeare's plays, whenever it suffices.
    Go right ahead. It's commonly done, you know - and very funny, in the right hands. I saw one Shakespeare play - IIRC King Lear - translated into vanity car license plate phrases (from actual vanity plates registered in California). Good stuff!

Not to mention West Side Story, dozens of TV drama plots, etc.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It also depends on what thoughts are being conveyed. A sense of very great thoughts could be transmitted, but things like clever puns, poetry, romantic or effective use of language, are often lost in translation.