Labor party and gay marriage

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Asguard, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

It seems that this issue isn't going to lay down (nor should it) for Rudd. Recently a senior labor party parliamentarian in the SA parliament called on the federal parliamentary party to support gay marriage. There is a thread around here that i posted on it. For some reason (i don't know why) the issue has suddenly heated up again

Well i happened to be listening to the interview which i believe formed the basis of this story (ABC Adelaide, Mornings, Mat and Dave) and he did not sound comfortable at all with the topic. He was asked innumerable times WHY his party had chosen to go against removing discrimination in this area and he simply refused to answer or he ducked the question. I wish they had pushed him harder but i understand there is a limit to how far an interviewer can go when the interviewee refuses to answer the question. It will be interesting to see if he is overruled by the national conferance what he will do, these things are quite widly reported and concedering the number of people for it i cant see him getting much political surport if he buries the vote or refuses to act on it if it goes against him.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Wish the other states and the federal gov would follow suit

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Why are you so keen on homosexual marriage?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Maybe hes keen on equal rights?

8. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Obviously, but why?

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

because it is fundermental to the political ideology which a) i subscribe to and b) to which the country was founded on, ie liberalisium as defined as "that which causes no harm to another person should be permitted unless a strong case can be argued for its perscription" (that quote maybe a little off, its six months since i studied law and philosophy)

10. swarm Registered Senior Member

If you stick with gay partners then you won't get stuck with child support!

Well unless your partner has kids and you get married.

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

"L" Is For "Logic"

I'm sure there's something resembling logic in there somewhere. Care to fill us in?

12. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I know, but meh, I'm not gay, so I don't really care if gay marriage is legal or not. I only support it in principal. I don't understnad why non homosexuals are so extreme on this case.

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

a) im actually bi so its just a coincidence i found PB and thats who i want to spend my life with

b) justice is a very important concept wether its for self or others. "all that is required for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing" (that statment has nothing to do with war and countries but rather PEOPLE) and rember the poem about the nazies?

14. Bells Staff Member

Actually no. In Australia at least, same sex couples are recognised for child support purposes. So if a same sex couple have children (either through IVF or adoption, for example) and their relationship ends, they are liable to pay child support for the children.

So sticking with "gay partners" to escape paying child support will not absolve you of your obligations to be financially responsible for your children.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

asgaurd, do you think (to a certain degree that) homosexual marriage is a blight on straight marriage?

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

no, i dont, anymore than i think interracial marriages did or interfaith or no faith marrages. why would it? does me being married or not have any effect on you? of course it doesnt it only effects yourself and your partner.

marrage, just like education, may have started as a religious cerimony but now it is a civil one and there is no more reason to exclude any group than there was for white only buses.

to be honest im surprised to see you asking that question

17. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

why? i dont agree with homosexual marriage, because i see it has a blight on hetrosexual marriage likewise homosexuals adopting children shouldnt be allowed either, where will it stop? why cant we have multi partner marriage? why can't we have children marrieing? whats fair for one should be fair for anouther

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

on poligamy why not again what right do you have to judge what other consenting adults do?

i was just reading your thread on swinging. you do realise there was a time (and it still happens in some contries today) where you would be stoned to death for that. would that be correct because "its a blight on marrage"?

we live in liberal democracies, that is everything which causes no harm (ovious physical harm) to non consenting people unless a strong case can be made against it. ie the burden of proof osnt on gays to prove why they should be equal, the burden is on you to prove why they shouldnt be and the "yuck factor" isnt enough

19. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i am not saying that homosexuality is "Yuck" in fact i have friends who are gay and how they want to live they're lives is totally up to them, what gives you the right to say that homosexuals should be allowed to marry? what gives you the right to tell me that i am wrong thinking what i do?

i have spoken to my gay friends about this and they see my point and can understand why i say what i do, however they also say that they're life style isnt conjusive to marriage and children,

and yes i am fully aware that in some countries swingers and adulterers can be stoned, and so can homosexuals.

20. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Don't bring up that consent nonsense, seeing as your economic views completely ignore it.

I suppose what I really support isn't necessarily gay marriage, but rather that government stay out of marriage and it be left as a social matter to be determined by the individual, gay or straight.

21. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

but...goverments can stop you getting married, take people who want to marry people in a differant country, they need to have persmission to stay with they're intended

22. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I know, which is why I said the gov't should stick out of marriage altogether. It's not a state insitution, it's a religious institution, and in some cases a secular one, but we ought to leave such decisions to the individual. Laissez-faire.

23. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

ok right i see your point you were making now, but what if said homosexuals wanted to get married in a church, churches are against homosexual marriages, should they then be forced to break they're belifes and marry a gay couple?