1953: A big-little year

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by RonPrice, Jul 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RonPrice Mr RonPrice Registered Senior Member

“The Queen of Carmel is now enthroned on God's Mountain, crowned in glowing gold, robed in shimmering white, girdled in emerald green, enchanting every eye from air, sea, plain and hill.” It was in these words1 that Shoghi Effendi, the then leader of the Bahá'í community, announced the completion of the construction of this Bahá'í holy place, the shrine of the Báb, in a joyous cablegram to a Baha'i conference being held from 7 to 15 October 1953 in New Delhi, India

This message came as a triumphant climax to a holy year marking the centenary of the birth of the mission of Bahá'u'lláh in 1852. The announcement also came at the earliest stage of a ten year plan to spread the Baha'i teachings throughout the world, a plan which Baha’is refer to as the ninth stage in the history of the planet.

In that same year, in April 1953, James Watson and Francis Crick published their article entitled “A Structure for Deoxyribose Nucleic Acid.”2 This was a pivotal moment in modern scientific history. In 1962, the year I began my pioneering life in the Canadian Bahá'í community, these two men received the Nobel Prize.-Ron Price with thanks to: 1Bahá'í World News Service, “Golden Anniversary of the Queen of Carmel,” 12 October 2003; and 2“Linus Pauling and the Race for DNA: A Documentary History,” WGBH/PBS Online, 1998.

Grade three was not a good year
    for me-9/’52 to 6/53-could have
    skipped a grade, but missed out
    by a hair; grade 4 was far better,
    went to Mrs Jones’ class at East
    Burlington Primary School just..
    fiftyish yards from Lake Ontario:
    also collected autumn’s chestnuts,
    summer’s pop-bottles, played field
    hockey, baseball, started going to
    Bahá'í firesides with my mother at
    John and Hattie Dixon’s-had apple
    pie and cheesecake on those cold
    winter evenings in Canada and while
    this was going on back then-DNA was
    discovered and the Baha’is finished the
    Báb’s shrine in Haifa--all unbeknownst
    to me for I was only eight and nine and
    on my way to late childhood(9 to 12) &
    adolescence(13 to 19) so, so long ago...

Ron Price
    25 July 2009

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.