What If There Are No Gods?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by StrangerInAStrangeLand, Jul 19, 2009.

1. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

-=-

What if somehow it could be proven there are no gods & most theists accept it?
    How would their lives change? Would their morals, attitudes or politics change?
    How would they regard the few who yet cling to theism?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

How would a negative be "proved"?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its a science forum. We're supposed to challenge fantasies with logic.

8. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

-=-

What the heck is wrong with you???
    There's nothing wrong with positing a scenario & discussing the possible/probable results.

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

They'd immediately turn into vicious, insane, maddened, serial killers with a bloodlust that knew no bounds. Morals? ...LOL! They wouldn't have any stinkin' morals! Politics? They all become liberals ....still vicious serial killers, but liberals because they wouldn't want to be executed if they were caught.

They'd kill 'em and eat 'em!

Baron Max

10. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

Just check your Yo-God God Detector.

11. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Quite simply, the godbots wouldn't accept it.

We go through our whole lives believing in rational things only, and shunning those who believe in something that clearly makes no sense. But when it comes to believing in a nonsensical god-myth, we suddenly make an exception to that. Why is that..? Simple. Because even though we know such a myth is a contrived faerie tale, it's much easier to accept that god will "take care of your soul" after you die, instead of embracing the truth that in the end, you just become a pile of nondescript dust in the earth.

Death is too scary an idea for most humans. But that's why being an atheist takes courage. It's also frightening to know that you have only shot at life, and that when you use it up, you're gone forever. Your consciousness ends, and you simply cease to know and be because your one shot at life has expired.

It's saddening to see how many people end up wasting that one shot at life just to worship a being that does not exist, in preparation for what is -- in the final analysis -- nothing more than oblivion.

12. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

For som beleivers they woud prolly be severly depressed if it was proved that ther God didnt esist... som beleivers mite be releaved from the fear of goin to hell... but the half-azzed beleivers prolly woudnt give to much of a sht an jus carry on as usual.!!!

Som of the former "true" beleivers mite be sympthetic to those who cling to theism... cause they woud better understan how dificult it was to except the truth.!!!

It didnt take no courage on my part to be atheist... i simply dont have beleifs that unevidenced stuff is true.!!!

If beleivers are happy wit ther beleifs... is ther life a waste... ie... ant it up to the individual to juge whether ther life is a waste or not.???

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  13. Carcano Valued Senior Member

This is why humanity is becoming increasingly insane with the loss of regard for the spiritual dimension.

In the absence of which, it really makes no difference what you do with your life, or whether you even live at all...the eventual result is the same.

14. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

I think that most people have a reasonable code of ethics not based on theist beliefs. If some how all were convinced that no god or gods existed, I would expect most to behave decently.

I would expect many religious types to become seriously depressed because belief in god & a continued existence after death is an easy way to deal with thoughts of individual mortality.

My most serious problem with becoming an atheist was learning to deal with my eventual death (and the death of loved ones) without becoming depressed.

15. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

-=-

Seriously depressed causes different thinking which often results in different behaviour.

16. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

nothing would change. I mean, if you think about it. This is what happened in Communist China. And, nothing much changed because of it. Yes, a lot changed, but that was due to Communism, not their becoming rational.

Actually, I onced asked my Chinese friend and he said people were told there were no Gods and to deal with it. And people whimpered for like a couple of days and then got over it and started working for Communist Heaven on Earth. It was kind of amazing how quickly people accepted there were no Gods. Pretty fast for most people. Those few that just couldn't, were sent to camps where they eventually did. But, most people didn't require this, they just believed what they were told to believe - which was there are no Gods. Most people are Sheeple anyway - which is why they believe in the first place. Only a small minority NEED to believe. As I understand they can be picked out of a crowd and mentally gang-pressed into Scientology with easu using a "magical" Theta meter. People who need Gods are in fact pretty gullible.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009