Aliens Vs. Aliens

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by superstring01, Jul 11, 2009.

1. superstring01 Moderator

Let's say we take two of the newest alien movies ("The Day The Earth Stood Still" and "Knowing") and pitted them against each other. Who would win?

Both Aliens seem to have the ability to bend and fold space with equal ease. Both were godlike in their abilities and apparently had the same wise-old benevolent/nonchalant attitude towards the extinction of humanity.

I'm hoping that they take the writers of these two movies with them, but barring that, I guess the "Knowing" aliens would have an advantage seeing as how they have some pretty advanced prescience.

~String

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

O My Gort!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

eace:
    Both of these movies were lame for different reasons although “Knowing “, had an original plot device in the clairvoyance of the little girl.
    Both films had good scenes of devastation, but Keanu Reeves wooden acting made him come across more like a Thunderbirds marionette then a weird alien.
    This bad acting killed the new “The Day the Earth Stood Still”.
    The problem with “Knowing” was that they resorted the Biblical type imagery like having the aliens resembling glowing angel’s and having the kids dropped on a planet complete with a garden of Eden like tree. Even the Nicolas Cage character re-found his faith and returned to he’s estranged father who just happens to be a Minister.
    I’m sorry but this sort of lazy writing gives me the big floppy one, Christian aliens! Did a UFO cult put up the money for this film?
    But as to your question I’d say the “Knowing” Aliens would win because they are less boring then Keanu Reeves dressed like an undertaker.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nesm Registered Senior Member

Maybe the planet onto which the kids are dropped is what becomes Earth as we know it? The biblical stories of gods and angels are stories of the aliens. I see no problem with it - many story tellers draw upon popular myth, legend and verse for ideas. I see no reason why the bible cannot be considered as such, and drawn upon for ideas. Greek Zeus, Norse Thor, Christian God (no points for original name there).

Haven't seen Day the Earth...but that the aliens in Knowing couldn't take Nick with and drop him off somewhere - they've little heart / emotion to appeal to. Ulterior motives in taking the kids? Quite possibly they're not as friendly as they appear.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

Knowing = Chariot of the gods?

I don’t have a problem with using biblical imagery in science fiction movies if I know that’s what it’s all about to start with.
    It’s just that I feel a little peeved if this ideology is snuck in at the end, It makes me feel like some evangelistic Christian group put up the money for the film and is trying to sell me something.
    I don’t think that’s the case here, the writers just used Erich von Däniken type speculations as a plot devise but I can imagine some people of other faiths could feel uncomfortable about it.

What if in the “Knowing” The Alien’s were evil and were breeding the kids for food, obviously they wouldn’t take an old boiler like Nicolas Cage home for the dinner table.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

uke:

8. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

District 9 Prawns FTW.

Even though they probably don't stand a chance against those guys, I'd give them points for sheer determination.