Why does milk thicken when whipped?

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by stateofmind, Jul 5, 2009.

1. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

Anybody know?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

I had never heard of shear thinning before but that's not really what I was wondering about. What qualities in the milk cause it to, when repeatedly aerated by stirring, retain the air and take on a different viscosity?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

milk doesnt whip, cream does and there are a couple of reasons for it. one alot of cream comes with geliton in it, secondly cream is a fat which are solid at room temp, NOT liquid and if you stick lots of air through a solid its going to get bigger

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

cream is not solid at room temp.

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

um it might be a soft solid but it is a solid. its is a fat and fats are by definition solid at room temp. otherwise it would be an oil because oils are lipids but liquid at room temp

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Whipped cream is a colloid of cream and air bubbles. Cream can hold bubbles to an extent beyond which it separates into butter. Milk is also a colloids but it contains only about 4% fat and does not hold air bubbles well. Whipped Cream contains more than 30% fat.

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

cream is not solid at room temp

12. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Is cream solid at room temp?

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

no, its a thick liquid, not a soft solid as Asguard says

14. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

is ice solid?
    yes

is a slurpy?
    YES, but its so smashed up it acts like a liquid, just like a jar of marbles does and JUST LIKE CREAM DOES. once again, fat is solid, cream is fat

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Ice is not at room temp now is it? If I throw cream in the freezer, it will become a solid as well.

Cream is not 100% fat you dolt. Cream is NOT a solid.

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i dont belive i ever said that ice was a solid at room temp, i said that a slupy is smashed up ice and that ice is a solid

where room temp comes into it is that a fat is defined as a lipid which is solid at room temp and a oil is a lipid which is liquid at room temp

17. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Cream is not a solid at room temp: it's the stuff that floats on top of milk in the bottle, it's the stuff that's poured from a jug into coffee (if you like adulterating your coffee that is).

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

No, you said cream was a solid at room temp and then threw ice into your comparison. Nothing alike.

Cream is a liquid at room temp. LIQUID LIQUID LIQUID.

Have you ever seen cream?

19. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

Cream is a colloidal suspension of milk fats and proteins in a salty water solution. It acts like a fluid, more or less. (It is a non-Newtonian fluid.) Whipped cream is a foam and incorporates liquid, gas, and solids. It is very much a non-Newtonian fluid.

Since you didn't like my last link, try this one: http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2003/09jun_foam.htm.

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

non-Newtonian liquids are much much thicker than cream. they are like mayo, ketchup, mustard. You hold them upside down and they don't move til you shake them. Cream doesn't need the help to flow. Its a liquid.

21. Dub_ Strange loop Registered Senior Member

Fats are not all solid at room temp -- only some are. Case in point: olive oil. 100% pure fat, yet a liquid. Think also of corn oil, peanut oil, safflower oil, soybean oil... any food oil at all, in fact.

22. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

Any fluid whose flow cannot be described by a scalar viscosity is a non-Newtonian fluids. The viscosity of cream (note: I am talking about plain old dairy cream here, not whipped cream) depend on the shear rate. Non-newtonian fluids do not need to be thicker than cream. Paint and varnish are non-Newtonian fluids, for example.

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

ARE NOT FATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

they are all LIPIDS yes but they are NOT fats, they are OILS!!!!!!!!!!. God you people really need to pick up a dictionary once in a while