Sleeping pills.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Challenger78, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Worth taking if suffering from Insomnia ? Or should I ride it out until I crash ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

Have you tried natural methods like Melatonin, Chamomile teas, White Linden Flower tea? Valerian root has been effective for me in the past, as well as a tea with Chamomile, White Linden flowers and Lemon Balm. Add a little bit of warm milk and a little honey to it and you'll find it easier to unwind.

For me, I have ADD. It's hard to quiet all the noise in my head all the time. I have a thousand things running around in my head, and it's hard to get all those screaming children to nap at the same time. There's usually one rogue that just refuses to stop screaming.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

If those don't work, I've used Ambien after I've been awake for more than 72 hours and that really allows my body and mind to rest with almost no side effects.

Don't do nothing though, I've found that excessive amounts of wakefulness over a long period does bad things to my thought processes and my body.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

It doesn't solve the problem, it just takes care of the symptoms.
    Not that I know anything about it, but that's how it seems to me.
    Perhaps see your doctor ?

Also, in what way does she make you suffer ?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

insomnia has a cause, i doubt lack of sleeping pills is it.
    what are you worried about? world war 3 and Armageddon?

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

not a good idea challanger, actually most doctors wont give them to you anyway and even if they do it will be ONE pill, two at the most. There are a few problems with them, firstly you lose REM sleep while using them because they slice the top of the sleep cycles (actually thats not exactly correct but its complicated to explain). Secondly they are highly adictive (even more so than narcotics i belive)
    thirdly they render you unable to sleep without them

if you HAVE to take something your better off using achole or diazampram or something of a similar nature to restart your cycle than using sleeping pills

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

As long as you take them when you really need them then take the pills by all means. Just try not to get into a habbit of using them every time you can't fall asleep.

10. leopold Valued Senior Member

this is due to lack of REM sleep.
    meditation with biofeedback would probably help.

when i have trouble sleeping i lay down anyway and just lay there, the point is not to sleep but to close your eyes and take a long rest. it helps.

11. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Exams.Life.Apathy.Death.Mortality. And R.E.M. (the song so applies)
    LOL!, I see what you did there. It's entirely possible I've had an Overdose of caffiene. But it's unlikely.
    I've gotten up twice from bed yesterday. The sleepless periods are getting longer.

I've had 18 hour sleep cycles with 48 hours of wakefullness, I see what you're saying. Warm milk and cookies... erm Tea. I have a friend whose a tea freak, I'll see if I can get some off him.

12. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

So in periods of extreme stress.

13. leopold Valued Senior Member

the only things you have control over are REM and exams.
    i'm positive your instructor won't fail you if you miss a few of their curveballs.

14. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Unless you were failing beforehand.

Basically, I lie down. toss and turn. Get up.
    Repeat.
    Repeat.
    Eventually just decide to stay up.

15. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Doctors don't easily prescribe sleeping meds in Australia? They are one of the most common prescriptions of all here in America, if you even casually mention trouble sleeping, they whip out the scrip pad. We have (just a guess) somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 to choose from.

Secondly, I can assure you that most of the ones sold here are not more addictive then the narcotics. At least not physically, not by a long shot.

As to over the counter, "safe" sleeping aids, I have found that melatonin works well for me, better even than some of the prescription medications.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Isn't there a difference between insomnia and having a hard time sleeping?
    When I have a hard time sleeping I take 2 of these.

17. Carcano Valued Senior Member

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

challanger the best pharmocological sleeping aid isnt sleeping tablets, its anti-histomine

and Randwolf no australian doctors wont perscribe them or only very reluctantly. they are more likly to refer you to a psycologist

19. justwonderingjoe Gosh,the weather is nice today Registered Senior Member

Agreed. ^

Challenger, is there something troubling you?

20. kmguru Staff Member

If you want REM sleep (which is necessary for repair of the body and defrag your brain) take Valerian, Melatonin and B-12. I never had dreams when taking Ambien.

You could also take Ashwagandha, Epimedium, Phosphatidylserine...

21. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Nothing beyond your garden variety exams, with a little added nostalgia/desire for childhood. I have a feeling that video games don't do it for me as part of stress relief. The thing is I don't have time to find new avenues of stress relief. (except for flaming people on another forum..).

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Do you have TV, a stereo, a computer etc. in your bedroom, that you use just before you go to bed? If so, that's a bad idea. Bedrooms should be for sleep. If you have any of those things, my advice is to get rid of them (out of the room). You can use them before you go to bed - that's not a major problem - but don't have them in close proximity to where you sleep.

23. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

You vould get laid before you sleep as well, if no woman around, mastrubation works as well. Be careful of not eating anything at least 3 hours before you go to sleep as well.