Friends getting religious

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Mickmeister, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

All of a sudden, a lot of my friends are getting really religious. We are all connected on Facebook and I see a lot of them talking about going to church activities, praying, and all that stuff. It just amazes me that all of a sudden a lot of them are getting so religious. One of them told me that I had better be getting with God because I am not getting any younger. What does age have to do with believing or not believing? They think because half of their lives is over with that they need to start believing now?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

that's silly.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Balerion Banned Banned

Yep. As soon as some people are faced with the actual thought of their own mortality, they find religion. It happens.

I have a friend who is college age and studying philosophy. Smartest kid I've ever known. Very deep, this kid. When he went away to school, we kept in touch and spent a lot of time discussing Aristotle and things like that.

But then one day he says to me that he's found Jesus, and accepted him as his personal lord and savior.

WTF?!

Seriously, I was dumbstruck. Here's a kid who loves philosophy and learning and questioning and knowledge, and he finds his ultimate answers in a fictional character from the Bronze Age?

People will never cease to amaze you, Mickmeister. Never.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

It seems kind of hypocritical to me. They live purposely in sin for half their life, then because half of it is over, they decide that they better start believing and becoming faithful in order to go to heaven.

8. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

-=-

Foolish fear.

9. Balerion Banned Banned

Eh, not so much. Most faiths preach that it's never too late to find their particular god.

Your friends probably always had a basic belief in God, but never did anything about it, so it's not like they're faking it, in any sense.

Anyway, the only thing that concerns me is the sudden self-righteousness. Now they're telling you to fall in line? I'd tell them to shove it, especially considering that you've seen them at their most debautcherous.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

As long as they respect YOU"RE way of thinking there's nothing "wrong" with theirs. If that's what gets them through life, then so be it. That's their decision to make and you should respect whatever they want to choose for their own lifestyle just as they should respect you for yours.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

yes it is hypocritical..although religion usually says it's never late to atone your sins..i guess it balances that by the factor of suddenness of death before being able to atone..

some people die young..you can never know your life to switch in the middle of it..

so yes, it is silly.

12. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

I am not saying I don't respect it. I never say anything to them about it. It just seems kind of funny that they want to get with God all of a sudden. Statistically, half of their lives is gone. So they have chanced going to hell all of that time. If they truly believed, that is a big chance to take.

13. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Yes, you should respect their absurd cruel fantansy. Respect their fear & their folly. Respect their following a Holy Babble which commands them to preach to animals & to stone homosexuals & disobedienct children. Respect their belief that you & I should suffer eternally for not being caught in their wake.

14. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

What reasons do they give for their new found beliefs?

jan.

15. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

I never really talk about religion to them. I just listen. I assume it is because they have children and are wanting to instill religious values in them.

16. phlogistician Banned Banned

Ah, Christians _should_ respect other people's lifestyles, but well, being a bunch of hypocritical assholes, don't, and try and make their religious views laws to force everybody to their way of thinking.

Therefore, they don't deserve respect themselves.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I became religious quite slowly too. Was almost into my thirties before I "decided" so to say.

Do you still consider them your friends? Why does their becoming religious bother you?

18. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

I still consider them friends, but a lot of them they think that I am still too wild. They all seem to have really settled down since they found religion. I am like, we're only in our mid to late 30's. That is no reason to settle down and become boring.

I rejected religion when growing up because my parents always made me go to church, pray, and forced me to go to religious schools.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If its any consolation, I agree with you.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

sounds like they're trying to do the same thing to you. shame.

21. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

uh, do you think you change anything by calling it that?

and if it makes a difference..then do you think it's positive or negative?

22. Bishadi Banned Banned

i knew that was coming

such that most have experienced what happens when someone finally resolves to beliefs over truth; they then use others to question their own beliefs.

many who grow up, fight against beliefs but when they find, there is no consistant answers about 'life' from most every other type of knowledge; often the regression to the accepted, becomes their truth.

"sad but true"

23. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Let them believe as they wish.

I don't see myself becoming religious again ever again, though. I simply hope that I do not end up suffering for my lack of belief; after all, God, it is you and not I that refuses to show yourself, and you gave us, supposedly, our logic and reason, so what do you expect me to do?