Equal Time for White People

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Saven, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saven Registered Member

So I'm watching CNN about a week ago, as I usually do in the morning as I get ready for my day. There was a story about some controversy that has erupted on various college campuses over the past few years, because of the emergence of a so-called "black culture" and "black experience" curriculum. Many colleges, it seems, have begun to offer classes that supposedly "celebrate the rich cultural heritage of African-Americans, by examining the unique strengths of the black race throughout history." Errrrm... okay, cool.

The problem I have with these courses is that they're inherently racist. Anything that caters to and focuses upon a particular racial group is, in the strictest definition of the word, RACIST. That's okay, but let's just call it what it is and stop pretending that these classes are anything else.

Since this type of racism is apparently acceptable to our society, I'd like to add my voice to those who have demanded equal time. I'd like to propose that we also offer the following curriculum... on the same college campuses that have been providing the black-oriented curriculum:

The Joys of Being White
    An elective course of study, which celebrates the unique strengths and rich cultural heritage of white people around the world.

Topics will include:

(1) White Europeans: A Unique Cultural Heritage
    (2) The rapid rise to dominance of Caucasians in the Western world.
    (3) Slavery -- or survival of the fittest..? A "politically incorrect" examination of of the slave trade.
    (4) Why does everyone else try to look like white people..? Envy..? Or is it the emerging new standard of beauty..?
    (5) Reverse discrimination: Why do we need quotas..? Can't the other races compete on their own..?
    (6) The incredible contributions made by the white race to the arts and sciences.
    (7) Whites and their higher-than-normal intelligence statistics: Is it genetic..? Or is it some sort of cultural bias..?
    (8} The future of the white race: Who will lead the way..?

I think we can all imagine the vicious reactions that the above curriculum would incite, amongst various minority groups (blacks in particular). Obviously I'm not serious about having this stuff taught in schools... but there's a point I'm trying to make here. I hope everyone can see it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah, Brahmins set themselves on fire when the "untouchables" are given quotas in schools, colleges and jobs. Its quite pathetic. Apparently, selective discrimination is only good when its used for them.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

I have to agree with Sam, in a way. Having ethnically focused curricula, reading material, television shows, etc. Have several possible explanations, with two seeming most prominent to me:

1. Low self-esteem amongst group members may make such things an exercise in group "confidence building". It can be argued that oppressed groups are more likely to suffer from that, based on internally accepted racial stereotypes. Whiles do not have all that many negative racial stereotypes that have any purchase in the society. There are a few (like the tendency to abuse power), but they do not have nearly teh same social stigma attached.

2. Such courses are often envisioned as a way of saving culture. Jewish studies exist, in part, because American Jews are too well integrated. They do not (some feel) know as much about their own heritage and tradition as they do that of Christians, and would know next to nothing if it hadn't been for Hebrew School, which many Jewish families I know consider a requirement.

Here again, the dominant culture is the largely outgrowth of Caucasian choices. Even when they consciously adopted aspects of some other culture (like rock and roll) it was still the decisions by white people to adopt the thing that made it into a social norm. The value of teaching a "history of white people in the U.S." would not be that great because "American History" is largely the history of white people, with a few notable black, asian, latino and other individuals thrown in. Even the Civil War, and Reconstruction is mostly a tale of white soldiers, generals and politicians.

If you consider the cost of preparing new textbooks for a "white only" class, and the rather marginal changes it would produce to the text (as compared to a history of Black Americans), it just would not add enough to justify its cost. On the other hand, if you wanted to have a history of Scottish Americans or Quaker Americans of a history of women in the early American Republic, go for it, as that would require a substantial change.

By breaking it down to a group that forms a marginal proportion of the population, you have a chance to highlight stories and events that would be forgotten or glossed over if looking at the population as a whole. If you look at the group that already is the dominant group and has been for a long time, you get the same onld stories retold.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

8. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

I don't know how you can compare the cast system in India and Brahmins setting themselves on fire in India with Saven's observation that there is one way street when it comes to these special cultural courses.

Saven: Most people white or not have studied a history that is European or White American to begin with so there is no reason to fill in that gap. Take any literature course and it will have a predominantly white authors etc.

Do you have the same feeling about women studies courses? Because they tend to be exclusive too.

I do agree that many people would lose their minds if there was a white cultural studies program, it would be called racist. This is what happened in California I believe when a female student started a white studies group, there was an uproar. I cannot remember the outcome, I think they wanted to close it though there are Asian and Black cultural study groups. The problem is that if the curriculum was inclusive it would have black american history included. A good American literature course would have James Baldwin and Langston Hughes as well as Tennessee Williams and Jack London, Flannery O connor as well as Toni Morrison.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Missed one

You forgot one:

(9) Empowerment Majorities and Cultures: A Zero-Sum Game?​

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2009
  10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its the same logic. They feel discriminated against now that those people they have been treating worse than animals for centuries are being allowed to see themselves as human beings.

11. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Where did you read in Saven's post anything about feeling discriminated against? He said he felt that these exclusive groups were racist. Again you go pouring your own meaning into things that are not there, now I understand why its done to you so often, they're off proving a point.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hmm you're right. Calling black culture classes racist has nothing to do with perceived discrimination. lol.

In fact, racism itself has nothing to do with discrimination.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'd say let them have whatever classes they want. It isn't up to "honky" to decide what curriculum that others may want to study, is it.

15. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

I think what you're saying is the same course for whites should be offered at Grambling State University.

You think the scales of equality are unbalanced because of a Black cultural history course? The scales are unbalanced but the other way around. This course will help nudge the needle a little closer to equilibrium. No big deal.

16. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Possibly. One could also argue that mainstream American society is "white"...although I don't know. There's nothing really in the crotch-lock of present-day mindless consumerism that speaks to my background.

...Well, tetley tea, sure. That's a given.

17. spaceChild Registered Member

In intermediate I received an award for being the smartest Maori person in the school. (Part Maori, there's no full ones anymore) Besides that.. how a school, a place of learning can condone that (awarding someone because they've done better academically than others of their race not just others in general) its disgusting. Could you imagine the uproar if there was an award for being an excellent white person?

18. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Right it doesn't. Someone can be racist and have no chance to discriminate as in exclusive groups for example. He is asking whether exclusive groups are racist? He never said he felt discriminated against which wouldn't make sense since Western studies are mainstream.

19. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Saven,

"White culture" is already taught to everyone, its call history classes, which are grossly eurocentric. The race in majority does not need to be taught about specifics, its known to everyone.

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

21. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

What percentage of these classes are frequented by white or asian students? I mean if its only frequented by african americans then it doesn't help raise awareness about achievements of the community. I think you will know you are not longer in a racist or race conscious society when the achievements of african americans are included in mainstream courses. For example i point out that in a literature class great african american writers should sit alongside white american writers since they are both part of the american cultural legacy.

I find it interesting that people would rather derail the thread than deal with the topic head on. Again its the lack of discussion or silencing of discussion and points of view that have been labeled racist that deepens racism. Hardly very enlightening.

22. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I took an African American Art class as a GE requirement 2 years ago, and while there were a lot of black students in the class (which was kind of a weird yet awesome experience for me) there were people of other races as well. If people find a topic interesting they'll register for the class. More blacks seem to be interested in black history than other races, just like more women seem to be interested in women's studies than men, even people who wear glasses tend to have more interest in optometry than those who don't. There is nothing wrong with that though. Just to have the class available is the most important aspect even if the topic is controversial. My school had a class on slavery from the slave owners perspective.

23. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Don't you think it would be more practical if they were streamlined into the main program and not something separate?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.