No electricity - what would happen to the world?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Quantum Quack, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Just got through the "not bad" remake of "The day the world stood still" and it struck me that if an alien race had the power to switch off the worlds electricity usage then wouldn't that have solved it's problem with Humans destroying the planet. After all what would humans do with out electricity do you think....so instead of releasing a plague of metal eating insects they could have simply turned the lights out globally like they did in the film any ways.

So I thought I'd raise the idea here and see what imaginative responses we get.

No electricity guys how would the worlds population survive and secondly how quickly would the planet recover or not recover?
    Back to the "dark" ages but with the knowledge and perhaps dare I say "wisdom" of the modern age....
    live acoustic music would be in vogue I bet....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Slave labour would become the new resource.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Slaves can generate electricity..

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

ouch whaling may come back in to feed the trillions of lightglobes no longer being used......sheesh!

8. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Just wondering how house design and commercial building design would have to change...no elevators except those with "treadmills"...ha

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Whaling never left.

10. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

was never right either....[chuckle]
    I'd get lost going to the store [usa] shops [aust] eek! no GPS!

have to use a sex-tant...

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

lol

12. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

no internet and no DVD's or video games.....what are we going to do to fill in time...?

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

It would be a disaster. Overpopulation would run rampant.. lol

14. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Total and absolute chaos; anarchy; diseases; deaths in the millions from hypothermia, starvation etc; you name it (bad shit) it will happen.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hmm you are right. Something good may come from it..

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Civilization could come to a standstill. I would think then another form of energy would be invented just as candles, kerosene lights and oil lamps were when there was no electricity.

17. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Fat people would be used as fuel. That means that I should get myself a gun.

18. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

There is no doubt that the worlds population would suffer a bit of an adjustment in numbers, any one care to give an estimate...I reckon over a 10 year period probably drop by 80% easy.

Just by removing electricity as a usable energy source.

The aliens on the film could have acheieved all they wanted just simply turning the lights out but instead they chose racial genocide with insects of all things...ha [ and they had demonstrated the ability to shut down electricty globally already....]

19. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

We would be fucked. There would be absolute anarchy, especially in the urban areas of developed countries. Developing countries go for periods without electricity so they will be able to cope much better.

We would have no comms. no heating, no hot water, no Tvs, no computer games, no DVDs, no cinemas, no music, a lot of people wouldn’t be able to work or study, we wouldn't be able to go out at night. I didn't realise how much of a difference lampposts made, when we had a powercut a while back, you couldn't see jack shit outside.

20. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Not that long ago a major city in New Zealand suffered a major electricity supply failure, in fact nearly the whole CBD was removed from the grid for an extended period [ can't recall exactly but a number of weeks were involved]
    The cost to business was incredible as most businesses had to move outside the cbd to do business. Which left a significant area of the city empty and void of people.
    Of course outside the city electricity was still available so the test case is not complete as people had some relief available, however in a global shut down there would be no logistical support, no communications, no refrigeration and most of the civil defense and military would be standing idle.

Basically the way society functions would have to be vigorously redefined. team work would become essential and the "me" generation would probably disappear over night.
    Average age of mortality would drop from the current 80 yoa to probably back to 40 ish..as medications and medical services virtually disappear.
    But most importantly, our ability to change our environment is greatly reduced and our ability to harm the planet is also...which would have achieved the aliens [in the movie] objectives or at least be worth a try.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Why ? Because you're fat ?

22. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

Everyone who wouldn't have survived a 100 years ago would be dead. Hospitals would be virtually unable to function, millions on life support would die.

Communication would also become very difficult - and who knows what other problems that would cause. Plus, up-to-date news coverage of the world around us would be a thing of the past.

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I can do without lights, air conditioning, a furnace, but I don't know how I would survive without refrigeration. I can imagine all the thousands of Americans getting ill on spoiled food.