Military Recruiting Center Shooting

Discussion in 'World Events' started by superstring01, Jun 4, 2009.

1. superstring01 Moderator

I find it interesting in the light of the shooting of Dr. Tiller that we see significantly less coverage of this story. I also found it interesting that the local law enforcement were quick to label this as terrorism (15 acts!!!). In a similar and contrasting vein the shooting of Dr. Tiller has not--AFAIK--been labeled a terrorist act.

I think we're seeing the two contrasting views in the USA: The media who is hesitant to be seen as anti-Islamic and who has little trouble showing domestic non-Islamic militancy and law enforcement who has little trouble calling a criminal act as terrorism.

~String

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Bledsoe was home-grown, and that doesn't fit in with the forin-muzlum-devuls meme that fires up the TWOTskis. If the shooter hailed from a mysterious energy-rich country that we haven't already invaded, we would have some Breaking News in the USA.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Now what would the story be if the victims had been Muslim?

Just how much Head Line Screaming would be taking place if that was the story?, the Dr. Tiller murder would have disappeared from the news cycle in a heart beat.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superstring01 Moderator

There's a dis-continuity between how these two situations are being handled by both the media and the law enforcement sides.

1) I think they were in a mad rush to get this kid labeled with as much nonsense as possible. If it was a simple drive by shooting by a gang-member, I doubt we'd be seeing the terrorist charges.

2) I also think that if it was a white-on-white crime like--sayyyyyy--the shooting of an Abortion Doctor boy some crazed religious nuts, we have LOTS of coverage but absolutely no initiative on the part of the media to give it any meaningful coverage.

~String

8. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

well considering all the news stories of anti muslim violence post 9/11 I'd have to say this is a null point.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Yet this man shot and killed one of them because he said they were doing wrong things in Muslim countries. This guy should be executed for first degree murder because he went there knowing with full intent as to what he was going to do. That is IF he is found guilty of what he said he did, shooting at the soldiers while they were out front of the building smoking a cigarette. What a waste he is by doing this murder, his life is gone as well ass the man he killed for no reason other than he was angry at the Army for being in a Muslim country.

10. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Yep