Teens and Marijuana

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by lillywilliam, May 29, 2009.

1. lillywilliam Registered Member

Although dangers exist for marijuana users of all ages, risk is greatest for the young. For them, the impact of marijuana on learning is critical, and pot often proves pivotal in the failure to master vital interpersonal coping skills or make appropriate life-style choices. Thus, marijuana can inhibit maturity.

Another concern is marijuana’s role as a "gateway drug," which makes subsequent use of more potent and disabling substances more likely. The Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University found adolescents who smoke pot 85 times more likely to use cocaine than their non–pot smoking peers. And 60 percent of youngsters who use marijuana before they turn 15 later go on to use cocaine.

But many teens encounter serious trouble well short of the "gateway." Marijuana is, by itself, a high-risk substance for adolescents. More than adults, they are likely to be victims of automobile accidents caused by marijuana’s impact on judgment and perception. Casual sex, prompted by compromised judgment or marijuana’s disinhibiting effects, leaves them vulnerable not only to unwanted pregnancy but also to sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Teens will have sex with or without smoking pot or taking drugs . Alcohol is far more used than pot today with teens. So if you really want to prevent pregnancy then EDUCATE teens about preventing unwanted births by using contraceptives or the birth control pill.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CatherineW Registered Senior Member

Hear hear.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CatherineW Registered Senior Member

I'm a teen and smoke pot and I think my lifestyle choices have been excellent so far

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

as are my interpersonal coping skills... if not better with pot actually.
    :m::m:

8. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

I went on to try cocaine, but I didn't smoke pot before I was 15. You cite no sources, and frankly, pot's pretty harmless compared to most drugs. I've never had an STD or STI, although I've known people who never even smoked who've had them.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The gateway hypothesis is not valid whatsoever.

10. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

You've grouped up a whole lot of stereotypes into 3 blathered paragraphs. But thats ok.

If I sat and smoked 4 bags of marijuana in 4 days, then upon the 4th day I ran out, I would merely chill out.

It helps my back pain and doesn't give any withdrawals.

On the side it also goes well with any hobbies: Drawing/painting, playing music, even hard and sweat labored work!

If you have sleeping problems it may help you sleep.

If you get good cannabis that is not contaminated with any additives, you are looking at a much more healthy choice (when vaporized) than if you were to go get a bit too drunk one night.

It is impossible to overdose on pot.

I had a severe back injury years ago, it is my right to smoke or vaporize Cannabis rather than use pain killers which have killed many people indeed.

11. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

If you come to Utah we'll light up k?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. spaceChild Registered Member

how are they having kids if they're all drugged up.. thought that stuff killed sperm cells
    damn

13. CatherineW Registered Senior Member

You can have killer whiteys though!
    Most definitely ^.^

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I just went and bought my son condoms. If he had been a girl, I'd have put him on the pill. Most (if not all) of his drinking has been with his guy friends and not his girlfriend, so I think most of his sexing have been sober.

15. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Good mama! I wish more mothers would do that.

16. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

if my mom did that I would feel so awkward about it.

17. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

My mother said she'd put me on the pill when I was a teenager and then my dad forbid it. Like that stopped me from being a normal teenager. =/

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

It was. But him telling me he got his girlfriend pregnant would be more awkward

19. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Seconded

20. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Same goes if you're ever in Middle Tennessee. Mi MJ es su MJ!

21. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Marijuana has similar effects to alcohol in terms of impairment of functioning. So, if you smoke and drive, it's pretty much indistinguishable from drinking and driving.

But I'd say the biggest worries with marijuana are the health effects. For example, there is some evidence to show that smoking a joint does about 4 times the damage that smoking a tobacco cigarette does to your body. If you want lung cancer, throat cancer, a reduced lifespan and so on, then smoke cigarettes or dope and you'll radically multiply your risk - regular marijuana use will multiple your risk of many cancers by at least 10 times the rate for non-users.

If the effects on your physical health are not sufficient, then consider the evidence on mental health effects of regular marijuana use. You'll lose interest in just about everything after a while - you'll just want to "chill out" with a bong or a joint. Your ability to concentrate on anything like a normal person will gradually wane away. Your ability to really feel emotions will dull - you might not get depressed, but you won't be able to really feel properly happy any more either. Then there are the bonus hallucinations, the paranoia, the schizophrenia risks.

If none of this concerns you, then no worries. It's your body. It's your mind. If you don't value it, don't expect other people to.

22. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

You have to look at the rate of use, James. I've also never ever hallucinated from pot. While smoking anything is going to tax your lungs, smoking pot once in awhile certainly has shown no real effects for occasional users.

23. John99 Banned Banned

it is certainly true that you can hallucinate, maybe not to the point of lsd but there are similarities and there is no question afa paranoia and schizophrenia are concerned. it does effect people differently and i know people whos hearts race from it and also very different types of weed with mild or very low thc to very high amounts of thc.