North Korea tests nuke 'as powerful as Hiroshima bomb'

Discussion in 'World Events' started by madanthonywayne, May 25, 2009.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

As if we didn't already enough problems to deal with, N. Korea decided to test a nuke today that was as powerful as the one dropped on Hiroshima.

North Korea today risked further international isolation after it claimed to have successfully tested a nuclear weapon as powerful as the atomic bomb that destroyed Hiroshima.

The test comes less than two months after the North enraged the US and its allies by test firing a long-range ballistic missile.

The KNCA news agency, the regime's official mouthpiece, said: "We have successfully conducted another nuclear test on 25 May as part of the republic's measures to strengthen its nuclear deterrent."

Officials in South Korea said they had detected a tremor consistent with those caused by an underground nuclear explosion. The country's Yonhap news agency reported that the North had test-fired three short-range missiles from a base on the east coast immediately after the nuclear test. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/may/25/north-korea-hiroshima-nuclear-test

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I heard it was far less powerful.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. brokenpower Registered Senior Member

i think NK just likes the attention.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

North Korea reminds me of that little kid Chris from the movie Friday. Always knocking down Craig and Smokey's trash cans and even talked shit to them when they couldn't catch him initially. But when they finally caught him and beat his ass, he cried like a little bitch ass bitch.
    Which is what I think NK is going to do if ANY country goes after them; whine like a little bitch.

8. wise acre Registered Senior Member

Disgusting little regime and it's fucked up they did that. By modern standards of course the Hiroshima bomb was very small. And, of course, here's the list of US underground testing while developing its nuclear program. (this does not include the over 100 ATMOSPHERIC TESTS.)

[post a link in future. deleted]

And then there were the atmospheric tests.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2009
  9. leopold Valued Senior Member

isn't north korea part of the USSR (or whatever it's called) now?
    since when was a 20 kiloton device headline news for the reds?

i think it's a great idea.
    it'll give everyone something to chew their fingernails over instead of seeing terrorists everywhere.

10. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Anyone can build a nuke, its actually very easy for a physics graduate in any college to build a nuke.

Like extremely easy, just have to do a few calculations.

The only hard part is getting the uranium.

The difference between the USSR and Korea, is that the USSR was smart in deciding to only launch a nuke in self defence meaning world preservation and not mutually assured destruction.

North Korea is retarded enough to launch a nuke just for the hell of it. Theyre too stupid to have the foresight to think "maybe if we launched this nuke at the US theyd send 1,000 straight up our asses"

11. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

they wouldn't nuke the US.. Japan maybe...but why Japan right??

12. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Check the history of Japan and Korea, no love lost, Japan occupied and used Korea as it's whore house.

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

North Korea is not about to initiate a nuclear strike on anybody. They know that to do so would be suicidal.

What they want nuclear weapons for is as a deterrent to a feared invasion of North Korea itself. What they don't realise is that nobody wants to invade North Korea.

14. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

That's right, because their system of checks and balances ensures that no lunatic will ever get his hands on the reigns of power in North Korea. Right?:scratchin:

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The current lunatic in power seems at least to have a healthy interest in self-preservation.

16. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

true but stable he is not

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Does this mean their technology is 60 years old?

18. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

precisely ... and who is whining the loudest about it .. Japan..Gee

we have no say in the matter if they have nukes or not.. not until we get rid of our own

19. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

And that situation was corrected by WWII.

Sorry, yes under international law we do have a say..........and that is not germane under international law.

20. CptBork Valued Senior Member

That's not true at all. You have to shape the uranium and surround it with the correct alignment of precision charges to make sure it detonates properly, and the bomb would be pretty large so not so easy for one guy to assemble at all. I think having enriched uranium is only one step but far from the only one, lots of specialized knowledge and skills go into the remainder.

Furthermore, I've personally taken graduate courses in particle physics and nuclear physics, and while I think I have a good grasp of why uranium is so unstable, I don't think it gives me the ability to make a 20kton bomb in my apartment.

21. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

For starters the shape and size is determined through several equations in college physics that you learn.

And plus the bomb you are citing is obviously is the implosion device not the gun type model.

More than likely you would build one of the gun type device to simplify it.

22. Nasor Valued Senior Member

So far as I know, you can't make a gun-type bomb with plutonium; you need U235 for that. Plutonium can only be used in implosion bombs, which are much, much more difficult to build (but still something that a team of random guys with phds in nuclear physics and electrical engineering could probably do). A gun-type bomb is usually just a hollow cylinder of U235 that has a spike of U235 driven into it by high explosives, probably surrounded by some sort of neutron reflector. So does anyone know if NK used uranium or plutonium? Knowing that alone will probably tell you what style of bomb it was.

23. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Chances are the gun type. Its just so many times simpler.