what does theism teach?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by leopold, May 20, 2009.

1. leopold Valued Senior Member

i want to know what you get from your particular kind of religion.
    keep in mind the following:
    if a one world religion was to be created what elements would it contain?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bishadi Banned Banned

to be honest over the beliefs of written opinions (i personally observed this FACT within ALL religious material; be honest, thou shalt not lie, etc.etc.etc)

how life exists, that is pure to what we can experience and understand

that is the missing link to combine the sciences and theologies;

the understanding of life

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

A one world religion would be near impossible. For that to happen, you'd have to pretend people all over the world were thinking the same.

What I get from my religion.

The most important quality I like about Islam is that it is all inclusive. According to Islamic theology, God sends a prophet to every people from the beginning of time. All prophets are equal and all revelations [the Quran mentions the Zubur, Taurat, Injeel] are equally valid. Islam has been revealed as a religion for all people anywhere in the world regardless of colour, race or any other artificial classifications. It declares all Mankind to be one nation and diversity as something to be appreciated

The second thing I like about Islam is that it is an individual religion. Every person is supposed to read the Quran and study for himself what religion means to him. If there is anyone who believes differently, we are supposed to say to him "to you be your way, to me be mine". In practice of course, people are reluctant to allow everyone their beliefs, but the principle is there in the Quran. The two major principles of Islam are ijtihad [which means independent interpretation] and jihad [which means struggle]. These processes include the staunch belief in the inalienable rights of the individual as granted by the creator, or al-asl huwa 'l-hurriya [the basic principle is liberty].

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bishadi Banned Banned

but not all think the same as you

so basically, the religions is requiring one to believe what the words are telling them.

a 'world religion' would be some frame that is equal to all mankind and that to me means, it must combine what we experience in nature before ever believing what we experience from a belief (religion)

we live within nature (GOD) and that is where to find God (if you like the word) as words created by mankind, simply represent the opinion of people; not God himself

To combine, the knowledge of mankind, then the rendition must include the math to perform the 'processes' of nature; then there is a chance in which to be absolutely equal.

8. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Well I understand this is fantasy. But I would say it would have to be TRUTH, and thus there would not be a religion with any single text guiding it. So it is impossible.

Exactly, what we see and know to exist not believe or coerce.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It would have to make people think they are part of a bigger plan for humanity, make them feel loved, make them follow the rules, and most of all not contain anything that could be debunked by science.

10. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Irresponsibility

11. Bishadi Banned Banned

Exactly!

The understanding of how 'life' exists within what we call 'existence' is what can provide all of that.

The 'truth' enables 'us' (we the people) to comprehend what we are doing before we actually impose an action to existence.

We can know what our lives are and what our actions do to existence and know it!

12. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Common ground.
    Perhaps the only dogma would be a code of ethics based around the golden rule or something like it.

The problem is that this would probably not qualify as a religion. I don't think it would be able to say anything about God is or what God does or has done, for example.

13. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Religion is defined by worship and conceptual belief.

As opposed to perceptual belief.

14. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Why the Quran, specifically?

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

It doesn't specifically say the Quran. The injunction is actually to read.

[96:1] Read, in the name of your Lord, who created

16. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Where is the rest of it ? That can't be all.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Sure. Verses 1-5 of Surah 96 were the first verses in the Quran revealed to Mohammed

(1) READ in the name of thy Sustainer, who has created –
    (2) created man out of a germ-cell!
    (3) Read - for thy Sustainer is the Most Bountiful One
    (4) who has taught [man] the use of the pen –
    (5) taught man what he did not know!

Some of the words can be interpreted differently, but this is the overall gist of these verses.

18. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

It's interesting that those two things (inclusiveness and individuality) you say you like about your religion are also part of my own worldview.
    I think that they are things that could be included in a universal code.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think those two principles, if understood and adopted could resolve many of the problems we face in the world.

20. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Thank you.

21. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Good points. Except that science doesn't really debunk anything. It doesn't have that power, since it deals only in theories, not in absolutes.

22. Tyler Registered Senior Member

A theorem can be an absolute. For example: x -> x (read: if x is true then x is true). This is a theory (because it is a true proposition) and it is absolute (in the sense that there cannot be a system of derivation in which it is not true). This is a math example, but it's the simplest way to show that theorems can most certainly be absolute.

For another example, one could argue that the entire sensible universe is a mirage and that really only Scientist McDougall exists, but he doesn't know it. Scientist McDougall could still create the theorem: "If the universe I perceive is not a mirage and really exists, then if I drop a bowling ball and nothing is in it's way, it will fall down." This is both a theorem and an absolute. We can see this because statements of the type "If X -> Y" are true under if X = True & Y = True, X = False & Y = True, X = False & Y = False. The only case in which it is not true is if X = True & Y = False. But since this last scenario is not the case, then Scientist McDougall's statement is indeed a truth.

All science is founded on this and a few other basic assumptions (i.e. I'm not constantly hallucinating an imaginary world). We just don't both to open every single scientific proposition with "if it is true that the entire world is not an imagination created by the demon in my head, then..." because, well, it'd be a waste of paper and time.

23. leopold Valued Senior Member

what i got from christianity:
    there is (?) a god that created everything.
    this god had a son which died for all the sins of mankind.
    a person that honestly believes this gets into heaven.
    a book called the bible is associated with this and goes into some detail about the origins and history of certain "tribes" of people.
    it also has parables and psalm associated with morality and ethics.
    the book concludes with a doomsday scenario.