Now It's Global Cooling

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by common_sense_seeker, May 14, 2009.

1. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. phlogistician Banned Banned

It's completely believable. Do you have a point?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

The point is that the IPCC is warning us of prolonged global warming due to anthropogenic greenhouse gases. It's all over the news. But if the new data is correct, linked with the knowledge of ice ages, then everything gets turned on it's head!

http://www.iceagenow.com/

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Short term trend only.

Anybody who knows anything about statistics, and global warming knows that the prediction is increased variance as well as increased averages.

It proves nothing, other than that there's a short term cooling trend.

8. phlogistician Banned Banned

Bullshit. The term is 'climate change', and generally it's climate change deniers that still refer to it as 'global warming'.

9. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

I'm just saying that if the cooling trend continues and there is found to be a genuine gravity anomaly with the pioneer spacecraft then my theory gains confidence.

10. phlogistician Banned Banned

Er, no. You are conflating disparate events.

11. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

No it doesn't because anyone can see base don that graph short term annual-decadal cooling trend superimposed on a longer term warning trend.

12. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

Why do think that the ice age cycles have stopped then? Or do you think it is just delayed perhaps? (article related to cooling)

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  13. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Now why would you go and jump to that conclusion?
    You're making an awfully big assumption.
    And you're full of ****, nothing i've said even remotely resembles this (that I think the ice age cycles have stopped).
    I'm also 100% confident you haven't understood what that article has to say, nor any of the science behind it.

Here's an idea, why don't you go into the earth science section, look at a thread I started in there involving the physics of the green house effect, and get a clue.

14. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

15. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

What I think is that you're an idiot, and a dishonest one at that, for comparing a record low to an unremarkable year, and claiming it's representative of some sort of trend.

Here's the truth:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Note the general downward trend of the bar graph.
    Here's some more of the truth, data going back to 1953:

16. phlogistician Banned Banned

Yo Trippy, that might be a bit scientific for the 'common' man. A simpler proof is simply blue ice. Watch any nature documentray filmed recently in the Arctic, and you'll see exposed blue ice. The more Ice is compressed, underneath tons of other ice ice, the older, and bluer it is. It being revealed show that the covering has thawed.

So when you see things like this;

You have to stop and think. Well, we don't. Common folk should.

17. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

Trippy and Phlog; thanks for the ice cap data, it was very interesting. I concede that the general trend is surface warming. Yet you both haven't answered the simple question: when do you think the next ice age is going to start? Never or thousands of years from now? It's a simple question.

18. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

It's also an irrelevant question, that I choose to answer with a tautology - it'll start when it starts.

19. unexplained_mysterie Registered Member

20. granpa Registered Senior Member

wasnt that due to a volcanic eruption?

21. unexplained_mysterie Registered Member

I think it played a role in the year without summer. the Little Ice Age the claims are: Solar activity, Volcanic activity, Ocean Conveyor Shutdown.

Heres more info

Little Ice Age

22. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

On the one hand you have the fact that the sun isn't as active as it usually is (At least in regards to logged records)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8008473.stm

There is then also the factor the more that the sea's warm, if only by a degree, the more moisture evaporates into the air. Which in turn turns into clouds, which block out the sun from heating the surface, so you end up with cooling.

It's obvious that there is indeed an equilibrium between hot and cold. Those things that made it too hot upset the balance and we are going to suffer the consequences of it swinging between hot and cold until it sorts itself out.

23. unexplained_mysterie Registered Member

Stryder, it gets so complex with all the data and theories out there