The Book of Revelations

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Trippy, Apr 28, 2009.

?

What do you think of the Book of Revelations?

1. Genuine Prophecy.

12.8%
  2. Carefully Worded Political Rhetoric.

20.5%
  3. Delusional Ramblings of a Mad-man.

41.0%
  4. Don't Know/Don't Care/None of the Above.

25.6%
  1. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Because I'm genuinely curious as to what other people think of it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

IT kind of states the obvious.

the things that could destroy humanity is sickness, famine, war, and of course death, make all four holy and here we get the four horsemen.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I have seen it said, however, that it reads like political rhetoric when you bear in mind the climate at the time.

For example the seven headed beast could have been an analogy for Rome (founded on seven hills). And the head of the seven headed beast that is struck mortally, but miraculously heals could have been an analogy for Nero (there's only one person that actually knows, but he's long time gone now).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. jmpet Valued Senior Member

The Holy Bible is just as flawed as the Qu'ran. Stop being arrogant.

8. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Could you please link me to the scientific "proof" that shows the Quran is the true word of god? (Yes, I understand this is all just a joke)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  9. jmpet Valued Senior Member

The Qu'ran has its merits- and possibly more than the Holy Bible simply because it was written 600 years after the Bible was ended.

But I refuse to believe that Mohammed (PBUH) was the last messenger just I refuse to believe Jesus is the Omega. (And oh yeah- why did Mohammed destroy 360 idols yet kiss the black stone? Hmmm...)

The Qu'ran is an awesome book- I challenge anyone to read "The Cow" and not be transformed as a human being- but I don't see a worldwide Shaira Law- the Qu'ran is a finite religion- mostly for people in the Middle East. It is not the true word more than anything in the Bible is.

10. jmpet Valued Senior Member

11. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

I'm still unsure why I should fear any entity that would come under the notion of all-loving. I tend to fear things that are just, well, downright bad.. like I fear having an animal rip my nuts off or fear a slave master beating me to death for not working hard enough.

Can you tell me how it applies to a loving god?

Oh well, seems my non-belief isn't a matter of choice but a matter of a god setting seals on my internal organs.

Nice guy then? So like.. I had this disease of non-belief and this god increased it to complete non-belief? Out of my hands then...

The rest was just as retarded. It shouldn't be called 'the cow', it should be called 'the bull... s***'.

12. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Without wanting to seem rude or intolerant, in this thread, and this discussion, the Quran is off topic and irrelevant.

This isn't a platform for rightness or wrongness, it's a discussion about one chapter in one book.

13. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Alternatively it's another illustration of just how dumb some people can be.

14. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Revelation was written by someone(s) on drugs.

15. Bishadi Banned Banned

it's a book that combined many flavors of OT prophecy.

Now i have experienced deja vu. As well believe that twins do in fact experience each others feelings.

This means to me, that in nature there must be a mechanism.

Then i observed the science of entanglement.

proves there is a possiblility.

SO by observing that possibility, then if them old dudes/women (oracles) were having a good time on fumes in caves and could see items of the future; how could they use words from their time, to describe what they saw in a future time.

no word for airplane, nuclear subs, atomic warfare... etc. etc...

and to me, if someone was seeing something, i would think it would be the hightened emotional points they are capturing.

for example; if a whole city was wiped out; then a whole group of folks perhaps experienced the same emotion at the same time; (a hightened combination of the emotion at one time)

perhaps, these are what them folk are seeing...............

so in a revelation format; they share the end of the world. Could be from the combination of writings experienced to memory, with some good herb and staying awake for a few days, while not eating; and the mind and body of these folks is perhaps way out in left field.

Nostradamus was someone who was all over that kind of stuff and wrote up a storm of quatrains too.

This also brings in another reality; if it is possible, and from all over the world many have written their prophecies and the seers conveyed what they saw.

then to combine the works may offer many the ability to combine, knowledge, literature, current experiences and then see if it can come together.

eg...... notice the hopi medicine wheel; the colors.

then notice the 'four horseman'.......................

i see them as the four colors of mankind

My opinion!

16. krokah Registered Senior Member

People have for years have said the stories in the Bible are faith driven and are just stories. I was watching the history channel the other day, history decoded. They featured a story about the time of Moses, the parting of the red sea, and the 10 commandments. What they actully found was these events did occur. There was a scientific basis for what happened. It was all related to a valcano eruption that occured that brought about the plagues the bible talks about. So, I withhold my vote because I would never have thought the parting of the red sea actually happened nor the eldest dying out. Strange things for sure.

17. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

They did not find that the Red Sea parted or that Moses had Ten Commandments.

18. krokah Registered Senior Member

What they found was the it wasn't the sea that parted. It was a lake called the Red Reed Lake. It was lost in the translation. There is an underwater shelf that rose thanks to seismic activity in the area. They also found the real Mount Sinia (sorry, not sure of the spelling) where they also found evidence of the spring the story tells about. I was really surprised about the facts they presented. The water actually turned to a deep red rust color due to the iron oxide that was formed when underground gas was release during massive earthquakes. CO2 gas killed the first born because the first born always slept low to the ground as positions of power and linage vs everyone else sleeping high up on rooftoops and upper bedrooms. The people that stayed awake rather than going to bed had a supper and sat at tables through the night. Well above the CO2 levels, which hugs the ground because it is a heavy gas. The boils were a result of hypoxic tissue erupting and skin falling off people. This happened in 1984 where over 1800 people died and those surviving had the same symptoms of boils and skin sloughing. I could go but I am sure you could access the history channel set of programs

19. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Nothing.

20. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Obviously i'm aware of that, as the person who created the thread titled the "BOOK of revelations" not "The chapter of revelations".

It was an allegory of sorts, a literary tool, a mild exaggeration to make a point, after all "It's just a chapter in a book" is slightly easier for most people to connect with than "It's just one book in a collection of books and letters".

21. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Probably because people insist on derailing it with their own personal agendas, kinda like you're doing right now.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  22. Adstar Valued Senior Member

LOL

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

little chance of that my friend when my posts are continually deleted. If you want a discussion about the book of Revelation and you want to discuss it with a Christian then i suggest you seek another path.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

23. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Did it occur to you that your posts being continually deleted might have something to do with the fact that you're continually derailing the conversation?

Proselytizing religous rhetoric is not the same thing as having a discussion.
    Telling someone they're wrong because they have a different invisible friend (or listen to a different voice in their head) is not having a discussion.