Tea Parties Spread across Nation

Discussion in 'Politics' started by madanthonywayne, Apr 16, 2009.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Inspired by the famous Boston Tea Party and this famous rant by Rick Santelli in February of this year:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEZB4taSEoA
    Americans across the nation gathered today to protest unprecedented levels of federal spending that, many fear, will leave our nation burdened with a debt it can never repay.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

http://www.nowhampshire.com/2009/04/15/taxpayers-storm-‘luxury-lavatory’-at-state-house/

Emotions are running high, and there is even talk of seceding from the union!:
    Here's Santelli commenting on the phenomenon he inspired:
    http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/checker.aspx?v=ydSUqGkUnz
    The question is, is this the begining of a real movement perhaps similiar to the "angry white male" movement of the nineties that arose in response to early Clinton misteps, or a one time protest tied to April 15 (tax day). And, if it does continue, will it help propel the GOP back into power, or spur the development of a third party that would actually help the Democrats by spliting the conservative vote?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

Well...no one gets to secede, since that involves taking our stuff, but people who fail to love America are free to emigrate.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I am happy to see the protests against coercion and theft by the government.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

oh for god sake norsefire. if it wasnt for taxation you would be to illeterate to use a god dam computer, not to mention you wouldnt have access to a network which would ALOW you to sprout your drivil

8. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Asguard, you are confusing the provision of services with the state provision of services.

In other words, you are assuming ONLY the government can provide us with a network and schools. This is obviously untrue.

Also, it's an argument that tries to justify theft by making excuses and saying "well they give you x back"

9. CheskiChips Banned Banned

Texas has been asking to secede from inception. In my opinion Texas should be its own nation.

10. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Absolutely.

11. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I think these protests are evidence of Obama pushing too hard to move us too far to the left too quickly. Newton's laws of motion seem to apply to politics as well as physics. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

12. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I knew Obama would turn out like this

Apparantly flashy words and slogans are enough for Americans to decide where their votes should go

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

possably but you have to concider the way your political system is structured. He was elected on a platform of putting in place a universal health care system, he also has a major melt down of the ecconomy to deal with. He probably knows that if he DOESNT get at least the basics of a universal system in place before he leaves office it could be 100 years before anyone can try again, he also knows that if he doesnt deal with the economic situation that it will be 100 years before the COUNTRY can funtion again. There for he has to do both and he only really has 3 years to get it done because there is no garentiee he will win the next election. There for it could just be a case that he doesnt feel he has the latitude to work more slowly

14. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

What's so great about universal health care?

Why can't that be provided privately? Why can't infrastructure and schools and aid be provided by free people choosing to provide it?

If people want to aid the poor so much, then they can do it themselves. And I will help. By choice.

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

because it costs more is the main reason.

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

oh and because thats what people have chosen to demand from there goverments

17. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

It doesn't cost any more (in fact it likely would cost less); what you mean to say is that you'd have less money to spend. But does that give you the right to take my money, then, for your purpose?

In a free market people are free to aid and assist and provide. No problem with that.

Anyway, this is kind of off topic although interesting

18. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Nonsense #2

"the people" is a meaningless term; we are individuals.

Terms like "society" or "the people" are illusions, because nobody can concretely define what society or the people really are, and what "their" opinion is; you might say a MAJORITY of people want this or that, but you can't say "the people"

And if the majority of people want something, the majority of people are free to get it without affecting the minority that don't. Simple.

Then why don't those that demand it pay for it and ONLY them?

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

if the minority DONT want something, they are free to recruite enough people to vote against it

Time and again people have pointed out to you that we WANT to live in a democrasy rather than under anarky.

20. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

oh and no, i mean it costs less per pt to provid universal health care than to provide a private system. The higher goverment fund is as a percentage of total health care cost, the lower the total health care cost is.

Thats shown in WHO statistics

21. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

Apparantly flashy words and slogans are enough for Americans to decide where their votes should go

and the alternative was??

the guy who had Phil Graham..He was a senior economic adviser to John McCain's presidential campaign from the summer of 2007 until July 18, 2008.

He has been referred to as the "high priest" of the deregulation efforts widely blamed for the 2008-2009 bank and economic crisis.

22. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Yes, but as I've noted before, Obama's biggest problem is a lack of priorities. A lack of focus. By trying to do everything at once he dilutes his own strength while simultaneously pissing off (and mobilizing) the maximum number of people to oppose his efforts.

23. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

Obama has not pushed at all. Compared to Bush Obama is a motionless statue. Bush pushed.

If you think Obama is pushing too hard to fast or if you think that Obama has any similarity to Hitler then you have drunk too much too much right wing media Kool-Aid.

When Bush deficit spent and gave money to corrupt bankrupt Wall Street firms most of right wing media would not criticize Bush but when Obama does more of the same right wing media call him Hitler.