My Book on Christian Fundamentalism in America...

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Thoreau, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

... and it's effect on government.

Yes, that's right. I'm writing ANOTHER book.

I'm still in the research stage of it and would highly appreciate your cooperation. I've got most of what I need but never enough lol. So just throw out some subtopics that are worthy of discussion.

So far, the key points I'm touching on include...

The History of Christian Fundamentalism and Evangelism in America
    Abortion
    Gay Rights
    Death Penalty
    Media
    Voting during Presidential Elections
    The Westborough Baptist "Church"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Feel free to throw out some more ideas.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

it would be a short book because i dont see where religion influences those things in U.S.

westboro baptist church has about nine members too.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

You'd be surprised how much it does effect the government. I've been researching for almost a year now and it's amazing to see the history of the Christian right in America and how it's risen, controlled and is now beginning its fall, albeit quite slowly.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

You don't see religion influencing those things?
    Hells bells: I'm English with no interest interest in US politics/ internal matters whatsoever, yet even I can the effect it has.
    Most, if not all, of those issues have been discussed at length on this forum.

8. John99 Banned Banned

well that is because you dont know then.

9. John99 Banned Banned

for the record i am not a christian fundamentalist. in fact i lived my life more opposite of what would be a fundamentalist.

if you look at those issues one by one there is really no basis in reality that religion has an effect on them.

abortion is legal.

gay rights? i guess you mean gay marriage but the laws in u.s are similar to most similar types of governments in europe and other parts of the world.

if you mean other discrimination, i have seen gays discriminated against and every time it had absolutely nothing at all to do with religion.

10. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

I'm not going to get into too much detail because I want to save it for the book, but...

On abortion: Yes it's legal. And YES abortion clinics are getting protested, bombed, and doctors are getting killed when leaving for home. By whom? Most of the time, but not always, by Christian fundamentalists.

On gay rights: All I have to say is take a look at the Federal Marriage Amendment Act and what organizations lead the charge in favor of it.

11. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Really?
    When I see statements along the lines "I don't consider atheists to be citizens of the US", or however it was phrased, from Bush(?) how much do I need to know?
    Read the some of the posts.
    It's insidious and frightening.

12. John99 Banned Banned

MZ3,

i really think that if the government was in favor of gay marriage it would have been legal years ago. but still the elephant in the room for you is that it is consistent with other similar countries. this is easily verifiable on the internet - Wikipedia specifically.

abortion clinic bombings happened i think by one person and he was captured what was it over a decade ago? there have been other instances but you can count them on one hand.

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

How many Americans are Christian Fundamentalists? Or what's the percentage of Americans?

Baron Max

14. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-abortion_violence

15. John99 Banned Banned

another thing is that there are quite a few non religious people, even atheists, who are against abortion. people have many different reasons for their beliefs on this subject. personally i am pretty much neutral on the subject.

Media? they just care about ratings.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  16. Adstar Valued Senior Member

This one issue alone shows the incredible lack of influence or control on the authorities of the usa that these supposed Christians had. On the one issue that all of the varying factions within this movement shared in common, abortion and its abolition, they failed totally in their aims to have the state ban it. After all those years of getting into bed with the beast and making harlots of themselves they failed to make any real impact at all.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days