Higher intelligence- serious possibility!

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Norsefire, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

The possibility that there are beings with superior intelligence to humans is definitely serious, in my opinion, and I don't think it is ridiculous at all.

We get mixed up when religion makes irrational assertions and accepts them as truth, though.

Now, I've mentioned this before: a "deity", a being with superior intelligence to humans and significant impact on the physical world, is not, in itself, a ridiculous concept. We humans observe:

a) intelligence exists
    b) intelligence is influential

Based on these simple observations, we can logically take it one further and suppose that even higher intelligence, whatever "higher" means, may exist; and that it may have even more significant influence than humans.

This is, of course, pure speculation, but it has a basis and, at least to me, is a very serious prospect.

The problem is, there are no observations to give us any insight as to the nature of said intelligence, the desires, the abilities, etc

These things stem from imagination and culture and false logic. A good evidence against any religion is that in different parts of the world, there are different religions (which means religion is not based on observation)

Taking the simple possibility of higher intelligence, it is not irrational; however, of course, it is still just speculation.

However, taking this concept and applying baseless details and then accepting it as truth, is not rational. This is religion.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

"The problem is, there are no observations to give us any insight as to the nature of said intelligence, the desires, the abilities, etc"

Are you blind.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

peace.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Please give me an example of an observation we can make that gives us insight into the nature of any intelligence.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

I had a real vision that showed me the intelligent design of the universe, it's the same design that your brains made out of. your imagination is like the universe on a smaller scale.

everything is designed perfectly better than anything any person could ever design.

Do you call a clock or a watch intelligent design?, and then call a working universe with the planet earth, all of its natural glory, and you yourself that is asking this very question "un-intelligent design".

go and create me something better than a human or even a oak tree.

peace.

8. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Or, various substances in your head gave you a hallucination.

Clocks and watches are intelligently designed, but subject to the laws of physics. The laws of physics, the nature, could be pure happenstance.

Also what you are saying is what I am saying: it is very rational to speculate that intelligence superior to human intelligent exists

I am talking about details, which we cannot say at this time.

9. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

You can speculate all you want about anything buddy, the lack of proof will always keep you running in circles. :runaway:

I mean, if there's a higher intelligence that must have created us... then there must be an even higher intelligence that created that.

Interesting, a never ending stream of higher intelligences.

Thats pretty deep... but now I feel really stupid.

Or maybe this whole idea of yours doesn't make sense...

10. swarm Registered Senior Member

The higher the intelligence, the more likely it will ask for a slice of pizza!

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

That would be a rational response to the evidence of life and intelligence having evolved on earth. Well done.

That would be an irrational response to the myth and superstition and the ongoing cult indoctrination on earth. Sad, indeed.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You are correct, Norsefire. It is not unreasonable to assume that there could be entities with a higher or greater intelligence than our own.

13. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

No question, the evidence for life, intelligence, superiority and opinions is here.

Speculation? I've heard that word somewhere before.

Yes we can speculate on a higher intelligence but until (you know) that's all we can do. I give it a Ripley's.

If intelligence breeds irrational logic then does superior intelligence make it even more ridiculous? Like Chris4355 said, perhaps super races believe in a hierarchy of gods. Who the hell knows? Still ....speculation is just that, I agree.

14. Diogenes' Dog Subvert the dominant cliche... Registered Senior Member

I disagree. There are many different human cultures, so it is not surprising that deities, practices and beliefs are different. However, if you look at the core values, methods and experiences of all current major world religions, there are remarkable similarities.

All value compassion, love, peace, generosity etc.
    All practice some form of renunciation of material attachments (monks, nuns etc.).
    All have practices for quieting the mind, in the practices of silence, contemplation, meditation, prayer etc.

The 'god' who is just 'a super-intelligent being' is a being like Zeus or Thor, and is not the eternal being that people refer to as 'God'.

'God' includes us all, i.e. our intelligence is 'an image' of the intelligence that permeates everything. We may discover the laws of the universe, but the maths existed before us, we just uncover it. "In the beginning was the logos". That also means other beings are part of us, and are therefore also precious. Hence the values of love and compassion etc. That is religion and is quite rational.

15. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Speculation does have a place in discovery, however. I am not saying that we should take this speculation as truth; but as long as we do not know, and as long as the possibilities at hand remain logical and serious, we should not dismiss them.

No, because we observe that complexity can derive from natural means
    And that it can derive from intelligent means

See above.

And this is dependent on the nature of time; if existence has "always been", then yes, logically there must always be a "superior" intelligence.

It's rather simple. Cause and effect.

The only causes we observe are natural, and intelligent. The universe requires a cause. The universe, then, either had an intelligent cause or natural (nonintelligent) cause. Either way, they are both serious possibilities.

And this is "god"

Now, a rational argument for a tooth entity (such as the tooth fairy):

This is purely for example.

Let us say that one day, you lose a tooth, and that night you place it under your pillow and go to sleep. The next morning, your tooth is missing.

Logically, you know

a) it moved
    b) it either moved without intelligent cause or because of intelligent cause

In this scenario, it is perhaps more likely that the latter is true. However, disregarding this, you must still ponder both possibilities.

Based on further investigation regarding your environment and natural influences, you dismiss the idea that your tooth dissappeared because of any nonintelligent influence.

Thus, you conclude that your tooth was moved by an intelligent entity

At this point, your conclusions are rational

If you speculate no further (as you cannot speculate any further with the information you have), I think you remain rational.

Now, let's say you go one further: you assume, for whatever reason, that not only was your tooth taken by an intelligent entity, but this entity was small and had wings, and a princess crown, and was called the tooth fairy, and liked teeth, and lived in a magical land.

At this point, your conclusions are irrational and baseless.

16. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

Thats the problem, I don't think its logical.

I think its fair game to say that maybe we are not smart enough to understand the world around us.

But to go as far and say "something created this" to me is just a way to dumb things down.

And those intelligent means complexity derived from what?

Again, who knows? To say that there must be is rather selfish don't you think?

Why not accept the possibility that its simply beyond us to understand, for now.

You are the one making it seem simple, I don't think it is.

17. Xylene Valued Senior Member

If we speculate on the possibility of higher intelligences, what do they speculate about...What the hell were we thinking when we created those Human idiots?

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

This would be an illogical conclusion. A higher intelligence could merely be another creature that came out of a process of evolution that simply had more intelligence than us. It is reasonable to assume such a being could exist somewhere in the universe. That does not make it omnipotent, omnipresent, and all the rest of the illogical attributes that are ascribed to a God.

19. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Ah, but I never said that higher intelligences had to be omnipotent, omnipresent, and all the rest; nor did I say they couldn't have evolved as we did

I simply said "superior intelligence and more significant influence over the physical world"

Religion is the one that makes illogical speculations based on nothing.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

A superior intelligence doesn't make one a God. Such a creature might only appear to be one.

21. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Now we're arguing semantics. A "deity", my definition, is an intelligent entity with significant influence over the physical world; since "significant" is an arbitrary term, I would define "significant" as at least posessing enough influence to alter spacetime itself.

Or, of course, an intelligent entity that creates another intelligent entity; therefore, extraterrestrials that could've created mankind, would be gods.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That doesn't fit the definition of a God, since they still have to abide by natural laws. If only a sufficiently advanced culture qualifies as Gods, then humans are destined to become Gods at some point in the future, if we aren't already. Having advanced technology doesn't make you a God.

23. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Again, we're arguing semantics; how would you define a deity?

And who said that they didn't still have to abide by natural laws?

The only thing I am defending here is that higher intelligence is a logical possibility, and thus I believe that the idea that humanity was influenced or seeded by higher life is also logical.