Where would Aliens Land?

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by toltec, Apr 9, 2009.

1. toltec Registered Senior Member

Aliens from another planet come to visit us, where in the world do they land?

Presumably they have seen movies and wish to avoid being surrounded by thousands of soldiers all with their guns pointed at them as they walk down the ramp from the spaceship.

A few rules

(1) The landing will be public.
    (2) The aliens are peaceful and friendly
    (3) They have studied the Earth and know all about it's history and current affairs.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Just outside a British pub.
    If they get a round in they'll be accepted.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

the oceans

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

San Francisco
    There, men will stand in line to be anally probed.

Oh! Thank you! and goodnight!

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Wherever there's what they want. Would you worry if you step on an anthill?

(Maybe if they were stingy ants, sure.)

9. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Near the north or south pole. Uninhabited, and unclaimed by any country, so no one is going to be offended by the aliens' choice of country to land in, and no one will do anything stupid trying to "defend" their country from the aliens. It would also take a fairly long time to get anyone there to meet them, so people would have time to get over the initial freakout.

10. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Ok but why would they care if they offended us?

11. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

Probably the same places they use now

12. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Obviously it depends on their goals. If they want to make peaceful contact and be friendly with everyone, they probably won't want to piss off anyone needlessly. toltec said they're supposed to be peaceful and friendly, so...

13. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

we are the Alabama of the Universe..They way we get along with each other tells them to more or less avoid us.

14. toltec Registered Senior Member

After seeing movies and watrching the news, I think they may realise they can't be friendly with everyone and some places my be devisive towards them.

Maybe picking one country and consolidating there for a while would be a good idea.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  15. Nasor Valued Senior Member

If you don't like my north/south pole idea and insist that they actually land in a country, then I would go with new zealand. They aren't really hated by anyone, so there wouldn't be much offense, and they don't really have any military to speak of, so there probably wouldn't be a lot of guns pointed at them as they walk down the ramp.

16. toltec Registered Senior Member

New Zealand was my first choice too, but the whole Rainbow Warrior affair shows how nastily the west can gang up on New Zealand and force them to capitulate. Do you think they'd be left alone to cozily chat to the aliens or would they suddenly have half the world's navies on their doorstep with guns pointed at them?

17. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

They wouldn't land anywhere that would show favoritism to any particular nation. They would stay in orbit and transmit through global communications or media to all nations.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

They should land in India. The locals will think its the gods and treat them nicely. Anywhere else and they'll be dead before they hit the ground.

19. Muff Registered Member

Sure, they'd land in Nyauh Zulland and thaird b' c'r'pt'd f'r'v'r. Never speak a word of English aiv'r ag'n

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Also no one would believe it if the Indians said the aliens had landed. They'd think it was just some weird superstitious crap

:wave: at aliens [we know how to avoid the satellite surveillance too!]

21. Muff Registered Member

" It vood appear that some aliens have been appearing in my cow paddock, I would very much like to be moving them along, mooving them along, no puns intended! Those disrespectful bastards have been putting the old girls off their milk!
    What can you do?

22. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I would assume that the aliens would merely be using NZ as a place to park their ship and springboard for talking with everyone. They would probably dispatch ambassadors to most/all of the other countries, or invite ambassadors from other countries to meet with them there.

If you're imagining the aliens landing there and then ONLY chatting with NZ, giving the rest of the world the impression that they're being left out, then who knows.

Although I doubt very much that anyone would be stupid enough to risk pissing off the aliens by meddling where they weren't wanted.

Edit: As for the rainbow warrior thing, you're assuming that the government of NZ actually gave a damn about the RW in the first place.

23. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Why would they land in a country that still promotes slavery and is steeped in bronze age myths and superstitions?