Beating the dead horse of animals vs humans

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Exterminate!!!, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exterminate!!! Registered Member

Is it just one or two things that make us different from animals? If so what attributes are those? Are we really different from what we call animals? Aren't we animals ourselves?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

good topic. i am becoming less and less concerned with animals and frankly see little reason to keep many species around if they compete with humans.

at some point decisions need to be made.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Exterminate!!! Registered Member

So you're thinking we should maybe just let endangered animals go extinct and worry more about the more important ones we depend on?

John99, are you a religious person?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

"So you're thinking we should maybe just let endangered animals go extinct and worry more about the more important ones we depend on?"

From a practical standpoint i see no reason to retain emotional attachments to every animal on the planet.

Extinction is and has been a part of life on this planet since the very beginning.

8. Exterminate!!! Registered Member

Yes, it has. But the massive footprint mankind is leaving is forcing animals to overpopulate what little we're leaving them.

I believe if something we did is causing their endangerment, we should help.

9. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

well for those of you interested I have heard of a book dealing with animal morality called animal justice.

10. John99 Banned Banned

i just dont agree with that. obviously we want the earth to remain capable of supporting life and what kills another species can kill us but we need to have some common sense here.

sure we all talk a good game but no one wants to do anything except pass the blame onto someone else. so people blame the ones who are doing the best and the ones who are not doing so well get none of the blame. hardly seems fair and makes absolutely no sense.

11. John99 Banned Banned

lets face it. some humans pop kids out like there is no tomorrow and all you need to do is stasnd there with a catchers mit.

yet this is not a problem?

12. Exterminate!!! Registered Member

tell you what. I'll let you win this one. I was just curious about the thread topic. Not whether we should just say fookit to animals we don't need.

13. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

This IS a problem. Too bad there isn't some efficient method of population control. We all know that some people just shouldn't be reproducing anyway.

And I staunchly disagree with your position of eliminating animals that are competing with humans. Maybe humans need to stop popping out kids like there is no tomorrow? :shrug:

14. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Why would humans not be considered animals?

Isn't the thread like saying "the Earth vs. planets" or "granite vs. rocks?" Or "dogs vs. mammals?"

15. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Humans are animals, I don't what would disqualify us from that category. As far as endangered animals go, I hit a dog while I'm driving then I would feel responsible to help that dog as I injured them, but if a dog was already hurt on the side of the road I would simply help them out the goodness of my heart, but I wouldn't feel the same weight of responsibility.

16. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

Humans are animals, that's true in technicality.

However the word animals is meant to describe something alive that is not human, and larger than an insect (and not a plant). In that context, humans are not animals.

After all, even if you believe that humans are animals, you don't go saying "Oh there were lots of animals are Brandons party you should have come."

17. stereologist Escapee from Dr Moreau Registered Senior Member

The world animals is used in many different ways. There is the sense in which Chris uses it to separate humans from the rest of life on earth and then there is the way in which I use it to include anything in the animal kingdom.

A friend of mine used to divide the animal kingdom into 5 groups: people, beast, biter, flier, rat. He included all small crawly things in rat: spiders, mice, insects unless they bit you. Biting flies and mosquitoes were in the biter group. Biters are called natural enemies by some people.

Such ways of categorizing life around us was funny, but not useful. It doesn't help us understand the relationships between different life forms.

18. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

its not because you classify something that you can't see the relationships...

An SUV is still a car, just like a 4 door sedan is a still a car.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. stereologist Escapee from Dr Moreau Registered Senior Member

To collect mice and flies into the same category is useful, or descriptive? NOT

So a shrew or small bird or fish that is smaller than insects (praying mantis, grasshoppers, moths, butterflies, etc) is not an animal? But tarantulas and scorpions are?

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yes, humans are animals. Period.

21. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'll go with two!

22. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

This is a completely flawed argument. You also don't say "There were a lot of animals running down the middle of Main Street barking like crazy." You declare that they were dogs. By your logic this would mean dogs aren't really animals either.

23. John99 Banned Banned

ha ha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.