Scotland Assisted Suicide Legalization Bill Narrowed, Still Targets Disabled

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Brian Foley, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

And it will quickly become a "duty" to die.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I completely support the legalization of assisted suicide. It is the choice of the individual.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

The article says : "The narrowed bill would explicitly legalize assisted suicide for people with disabilities, once again clearly demonstrating that the 'death with dignity' is not about a 'choice' for the dying," Smith said. "No wonder the disability rights community is up in arms about assisted suicide." but does not say why Smith believes that.

Nothing else in the article indicates it's anything but giving some people the choice.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

No sane person wants to die, it is our instinct to live.

I wonder how often the pain suffered by those who choose to die would be ameliorated by visits of friends, family, or just people who give a shit.

8. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

That is quite an unsupportable assumption.
    I strongly suspect no sane person wants to live in agony.

I wonder too. We all should do our best to find out. Either way that may go, it doesn't mean people shouldn't have the choice.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

We have a right to die humanely. Yes, there is a factor that a disabled person puts a burden on the community to pay for their expensive and ongoing care. We have to face the reality of that.

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

No, dammit!! I refuse to face reality and you can't make me do it!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max

11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Obviously not, because there are many who are more than willing to submit to voluntary, assisted suicide. In fact, if there weren't so many, there would be nothing about it anywhere, including this thread.

That you try to force your opinions and thoughts onto others is not exactly a "humane" way to be, Brian.

Everyone dies, Brian, regardless of how many loving, compassionate people hang around them all the time. And what's the difference between dying on 2 Jun or 10 Jun? ...and it's even more telling if the person is doing nothing but lying on a bed in a nursing home. Is that 8 extra days so important to anyone?

Baron Max

12. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

Pain killers, besides are they in any frame of mind to actually make that decision?
    I believe in respect for life, I want no part of a society that allows mass abortion on demand, Euthanasia and assisted suicides programs, stem cell research and cloning.
    Yeah, anything that might hurt their budgets. Their idea of cutting costs is by killing the “undesirables” that put a strain on their social programs.
    We were put here, born, we have to see it out to the end, whats 8 more days to wait for death by natural causes.

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I agree. The difference is YOU want to dictate when the end is for all of us. I would prefer a little more of a personal decision in my own life ....if that's alright with you, of course.

Baron Max

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's my budget too, and it's not killing. Euthanasia can never happen without the patient's explicit and clear-minded consent. What if science can keep someone technically alive forever? Is it worth it? How many children could you save from terminal illness for that kind of cash?

15. Bells Staff Member

Have you ever spent time with someone who is terminally ill? There comes a point in time where the painkillers cease to work and the person is in agony. That is if they are lucky. If they are unlucky, they can basically end up suffocating to death as their body shuts down and they are painfully and vividly aware of every single minute and gasping breath but they are not even able to move a finger.

You're telling me some painkillers will make that ^ better? Most people who decide to kill themselves to end their agony due to illness usually make that decision before they even get to the point where they will require painkillers. And many make it known to their family that when it gets to a certain point in their disease, they would like to end it. Who are you to demand they live a few more days on painkillers?

The alternative is that you could live in a cave.

So helping someone insert a drip so that they can push that button to kill themselves... Ermm.. what part of suicide don't you quite understand?

How despicably cruel of you!

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

here here bells. I have seen to many people go to jail for murder for helping there partner or pt

17. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Thanks, Bells. I've been trying to say it, but you did it better than quite well.

Thank you,

Baron Max

18. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

I would prefer a little more reason and commonsense in deciding what you think is good for an individual must also be good for the Gander. I know what steps eventuated when Eugenics was evaluated as good for society it went from sterilizations and selective abortions in the 1920’s to complete extermination programmes of the Nazis.
    How do you arrive at that conclusion when all of these individuals who supposedly opt Euthanasia are on heavy medication and pain killers?
    See above.
    Your mind is a cave.
    How is it cruel? Allowing an individual to die a natural death, I cant see how a doctor who takes a Hippocratic Oath can administer a lethal cocktail of chemicals to end a life is humane.
    Can you be certain that the partner didn’t just off their partner to get some cash from life insurance, and use that as an excuse.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

In cases where people aren't percieved as being of sound mind, then I don't think they can agree to assisted suicide.

20. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

as bells said, have you ever WATCHED someone die of a terminal illness?

i have done placements with palitive care as well as talking to my mother about her fathers death and watching my other grandfather die recently. Further more i have STUDIED the treatment provided in palitive care. The people who we are talking about are going to die with in days anyway, sort of makes it unlikly someone would risk going to jail to get a life insurance pay out a couple of days sooner doesnt it?

Now on the treatment, currently the protcals in palitive care for these people is a medical coma until death. That is that they are dosed with high levels of morphine which isnt working so medaz is added to the mix to keep them in an unconcious state until they go into respitory failure either directly because of the doses of morphine or because of there underlying condition. They have chosen this treatment because there are no other options avilable to them. The correct term is chemical oblivian and it can last days or even WEEKS in some cases, its a very slow death and it doesnt always work because its hard to get the drug cocktail exactly right to keep them in that state. Its not plesant for the pt, there family or even the medical staff who have to deal with it.

Now i am a surporter of pt autonomy so of course i dont think that the wishes of the family or the medical staff are anywhere NEAR as important as that of the pt themselves but some concideration should be given to the fact that this persons partner of up to 60 YEARS has to sit there, never knowing when they will finally die. Unless you have been there you cant possably know what thats like, the sounds as the pt slowly drowns in there own mucus for one thing. If that pt wishes to take a quick route of say morphine and potassium chloride they should be alowed to

21. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

This is ridiculous what will keep the inconvenienced relatives of a patient from persuading him or her to "voluntarily" ask for death?

What happens when patients who, once having signed a request to die, later change their minds, but, because of their conditions, are unable to make their wishes known?

Who will speak for the severely handicapped infant or the senile woman?

What of Doctors and nurses who might find themselves "pressured" to cooperate in a patient's suicide.

Have you studied and considered those angles?

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If any of those factors are present, the option should be disallowed.

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

YES, infact i wrote a review of the bill before the SA parliment to introduce a right to die. I tore it apart and hopefully improved the stupid thing.

There is a thread in ethics of mine on that very assignment