Why does your heart rate remain very elevated after heavy exercise?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by visceral_instinct, Mar 28, 2009.

1. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

What kind of time frame are you talking about? Heart rate will remain high because the muscle will continue to respire after exertion and will continue to require resources and oxygen.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

That's why I quit! :itold:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

@Idle: Like half an hour after I went running. My rate was still around 140.

8. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

What is your heart rate normally?
    Also, how much water do you drink? Dehydration (or insufficient hydration) can cause an elevated heart rate.

9. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

My normal heart rate is around 96 when resting.

Ah, good point, I think it was caused by dehydration. I hadn't drunk anything for several hours except some Red Bull, and I was having massive head rushes afterwards.

10. Roman Banned Banned

Ah, I expected as much. While one can of red bull has less caffeine than a cup of coffee, a couple quickly add up, especially when you aren't flushing the caffeine out with more liquids. Caffeine is a diuretic, which facilitates fluid loss. The high sugar content in Red Bull also dehydrates you through osmosis. Consuming fluids with high concentrations of dissolved solutes won't hydrate you, as it won't change your osmotic balance.

I would be careful, as you can hurt your kidneys and working out (especially cardio) while dehydrated is dangerous. At the very least, it slows down the progress of getting stronger and increases recovery time for injuries, including the microtears you suffer that make you stronger.

11. jsmith91 Registered Member

because when youre excersising youre not gettin as much oxygen, which means your not gettin as much energy so while youre workin out, your body is tryna create energy through fermentation, with lactic acid, thats why it burns, and after youre done you need the energy so you breath in alotta oxygen and your heart pumps faster to get it through the whole body

12. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

If that’s your resting heart rate then you are very unfit. It is not a good idea to start running at this stage. Brisk walking for at least 30 minutes is a very good exercise to improve cardiovascular fitness and will not be as stressful on your body as running, so it is something that can be maintained daily. Trust me, a walking program will yield results. When your aerobic fitness and muscle tone improves, then you will be able to begin a running program without killing yourself.

Please, make sure you are well-hydrated with water before, during and after exercising. Forget Red Bull completely.

13. stereologist Escapee from Dr Moreau Registered Senior Member

At what elevation are you working out? The higher you are the higher your heart rate and the longer it takes to come down.

14. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Oh and I should add to this...when Herc says 'before' he means if you are planning on going running Monday morning, you should start drinking water consistently (like 6-8 glasses per day) no later than Saturday Morning. Drink water consistently for at least as long as you continue to exercise, meaning if you start running for six months, you should drink water that whole time.

15. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I don't really think this is a sign of health. Do you happen to know what causes your heart rate to be so high at rest? Or are you really measuring it at rest? To get your resting heart rate, take it right after waking up...

The last time I checked my RHR while I wasn't on any stimulants, it was 59. When I am on caffeine, adderall, cocaine, meth, or whatever, it climbs to the mid 70s.

One thing that really helps me with drinking more water is buying a 1-liter bottle of water and drinking from it. I will re-fill it 4 or more times a day and I carry it with me everywhere I go.

16. Roman Banned Banned

My heart starts going pitter-patter pitter-patter when I've been freebasing.

17. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I'm so out of shape now..even typing this message leaves me winded.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

I'm sorry Mac, but I only got as far as your first word before I had to lie down and recuperate.
    I'll get someone else to read the rest to me.

19. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

LOL...it doesn't help that I'm smoking 4 cigarettes simultaneously, and have an IV drip of lard.

20. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Pah, I'm so unfit I get beagles to smoke mine for me.

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

My heart rate recently stayed high after some exercise for 4 days. They called it palpitations, and I went to the emergency room.

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

That's incredible. My resting pulse is the same as my age: 65. I try to keep my pulse below 130 when I'm working out. I do a slow cool-down and I don't leave the gym until it's below 100.
    What's your blood pressure? Dehydration will increase it. You need to take better care of yourself. Drink enough water that you have to pee at least every two hours. And cut back on the caffeine. It's a vasoconstrictor and a diuretic and is not good for your blood pressure.

23. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I'm 18 years old though, isn't 96 around normal?

I don't know my blood pressure but it seems to be low, I have very frequent head rushes from standing.