NASA STS 114 Video

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by EndLightEnd, Mar 28, 2009.

1. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

this video can be anything...

from the look of it, it has nothing to do with STS-119, looks like a night sky with asteroid burning up in atmosphere.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

Tell me what "anything" is capable of stopping itself in a vacuum, sit there for a moment, then head off the other way at a different speed?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

1. extremely bad quality of this video...means an easy way to change things, especially where is what going

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. who said its something far away? what if its like a bug and light shining on it? :bugeye:

although I really go with choice 1...nowdays videos are hi-def, and this bad of a quality is just self-imposing the idea that it was fabricated.

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

9. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

A bug in space?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

edit: I think I see the confusion now, this camera is attached to a shuttle in orbit.

All the STS videos are this quality. They were filmed by NASA and released to the public years ago.

Possible, but you have to explain the steady deceleration of the object in question, the stop, and then the new direction and change in velocity.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Steady deceleration ?
    Ice hit by sunlight would propel itself in space, that could account for the change in direction.

11. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

Yes, watch the video carefully. The object comes to a stop smoothly, and dims as it slows.

Actually I want to know what program will allow me to plot the path and acceleration, do you know of any computer programs?

Light might propel ice sure, but not change its direction in an acute angle.

12. phlogistician Banned Banned

BARP! FAIL! You have no reason to suspect the object is self propelled and not moving under the influence of external forces.

If it had steered, performed some manoeuvre like a loop, or zig zag, that would be hard to explain by external forces, then maybe you'd have something. but this doesn't really wow me.

13. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

Thats why I want to plot the trajectory and calculate acceleration and the like. I know there are video editing programs that do this, do you know of any?

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

It can cause the angle to change if the ice goes from the shade of the shuttle into the sun for instance.
    Also, maybe the shuttle just caught up with the ice.
    There is no frame of reference whatsoever..

15. phlogistician Banned Banned

Not having anything to judge scale by, you cannot ascribe any meaningful units to such a calculation, so whats the point?

16. leopold Valued Senior Member

wrong.
    there are shuttle videos of the space station that are so sharp you can make out the detail on the solar panels.

17. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

I would still be able to determine the nature of the movement (whether deceleration was constant, find the precise angle of the turn, etc..) Do you know of any programs or not?
    I admit the trajectory very well could be a tilted parabolic shape of some sort, and not a stop and go as it appears to be.

Are those videos released to the public? If so, where?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  18. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

Here it is as part of a longer clip to give you a bit more scope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_Cn3yCXtDA&feature=related

19. leopold Valued Senior Member

yes, on a 5 DVD set entitled "NASA triumphs and tragedies, 50 years of space exploration."

20. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

How about retrograde motion. Look up mars retrograde motion, halfway through the year mars looks like it does a flip and than continues on it's course

21. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

I considered this, however that takes several days to observe for planets. This film only lasts minutes.
    Also in retrograde motion, the object ends up going the way it was initially going after a second turn, this object only makes one turn.

Again, any sort of acc. plotting video editing program would work wonders here, do YOU know of any?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  22. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

Maybe not a DVD that has been heavily edited? Any online direct sources?

23. leopold Valued Senior Member

have no idea.