Theism-atheism spectrum

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by James R, Mar 25, 2009.

?

Read the opening post. Where are you on the spectrum?

1. Very strong theist

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. Strong theist

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. Moderate theist

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. Weak theist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Agnostic theist

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  6. Truly undecided

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  7. True agnostic

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  8. Agnostic atheist

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  9. Weak atheist

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  10. Moderate atheist

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  11. Strong atheist

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  12. Very strong atheist

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  13. Not telling

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Where do you fit on the belief-in-God scale?

With which of the following statements do you most agree?

Very strong theist: "God certainly exists. There is no room for any doubt at all."

Strong theist: "I can't be 100% sure that God exists, but I live my life confident in the assumption that God does exist. It is almost inconceivable that my opinion on this could be changed."

Moderate theist: "God most probably exists. It would take a lot to change my mind."

Weak theist: "I believe God exists, but I'm not strongly committed to that view (e.g. I don't think about it much; I wouldn't really care if I turned out to be wrong.)"

Agnostic theist: "I don't know whether God exists, but I think it is more likely than not that he exists."

Truly undecided: "I can't decide whether God exists or not."

True agnostic: "I think that the question of whether or not God exists can never be answered by human beings."

Agnostic atheist: "I don't know whether God exists, but I think it is more likely than not that he does not exist."

Weak atheist: "I do not believe that God exists, but I'm not strongly committed to that view (e.g. I don't think about it much; I wouldn't really care if I turned out to be wrong.)"

Moderate atheist: "God most probably does not exist. It would take a lot to change my mind."

Strong atheist: "I can't be 100% sure that God does not exist, but I live my life confident in the assumption that God does not exist. It is almost inconceivable that my opinion on this could be changed."

Very strong atheist: "God certainly does not exist. There is no room for any doubt at all."

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

draqon: agnostic theist.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

I chose agnostic atheist. I don't know if there is some underlying purpose to the cosmos, and I find it hard to believe that something as apparently insignificant as humans will ever know.

But I consider myself a strong atheist when it come to the gods of Christianity, Islam, the Greek and Roman gods, etc. Vain and petty deities whose behavior reflects that of the humans who created them.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Agnostic Atheist; Given that you can't know either way and the burden of proof is on the theists then until they prove gods existence I will continue to lack a belief in gods existence, except when it comes to those clearly defined gods invented by man that are in contradiction of themselves and provide logical paradoxes or illogical thinking. Pretty much what Repo said.

EDIT: I suppose I could take issue with the definitions provided as the first part of my statement qualifies me as a true agnostic, yet I remain a definate non-theist and I think by definition one is either theist or non-theist/atheist so I must therefore also be an atheist.

8. draqon Banned Banned

Allowing a possibility of God to exist and choosing it as a probable reason behind existence of everything, everyone, including myself allows me to not fear the outcome of my belief if God did exist after all, because if God does exist and I have belief in him, what for should I be punished for? And if God does exist and I did not believe in him, I am punishable for lack of belief in him.

9. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

Interesting to see the final results of the poll. I'm glad to see some agnostic atheists like myself so I don't feel like im way off the beaten path sometimes.

10. draqon Banned Banned

theists are usually beaten with a stick on this forum, most dont survive...and leave...so the results are just the atheists who know they got mucho supporters here.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Are you talking about Pascal's Wager? It has a lot of dependant factors involved.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_Wager

12. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Speaking from my own experience then from what I gather it's actually the most common form of atheism, but theists prefer you believe you're either atheist or agnostic. I'm sure they have their reasons.

13. draqon Banned Banned

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Strong atheist, but I had trouble choosing between 'Strong atheist' and 'Moderate atheist'.

15. theobserver is a simple guy... Registered Senior Member

what is this God you guys talking about? Unless someone mention that part, I wont know where I belong.

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I think you should pick "Truly undecided"

17. lightgigantic Banned Banned

depends how you sophistical you want to get with "certainty"

18. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Another "what do you believe" poll! I like it.
    It would be interesting to gather all the historical polls from the archives and do some kind of meta-analysis.
    It would also be interesting to pick the best and make it an annual event.

Comparing this one's results so far to [thread=71199]How certain is your opinion on God's existence?[/thread] (May 2007), there is some indication that the atheist proportion of respondents is higher, but with more weight toward the middle ground.

So choose how sophistical you want to get, then pick what fits best.

19. lightgigantic Banned Banned

That's the point

different degrees of sophistry make for different readings of the word "certainty"

The polls tells less of what people think about god and more the degree which they apply sophistry to the word "certainty".

IOW without an accepted indication/definition of what is considered "certain" (whether its the nose between your eyes or the date of independence or whatever), the poll simply reflects the participants views on the problems associated with radical certainty / radical uncertainty .

20. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Yes, the participant's views of "certainty" are certainly

p) one of the things reflected in the poll. No, that's obviously not the only thing reflected in the poll.

So, choose how sophistical you want to get and pick what fits best.

21. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

It's taken me a lifetime to shed the God sticky notes once stuck ito my brain from my early exposure to religious doctrine. I am more convince than ever that an ethereal, trans-dimensional, exo-universal God does not exist. God isn't even in the quantum fluctuation class.

I shall invoke the Certainty Principle at this time. The more I know about the location of God, the harder it gets to find Him.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I don't believe you.

23. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

I believe you!