High systolic pressure, low heart rate

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Absane, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I got my blood pressure checked today... I had 155/69 with a heart rate at 59 BPM (note, this isn't resting since it was checked about 30 seconds after being active. The lowest I remember getting was 53).

Generally my systolic pressure is in the 140s and sometimes high 130s...

Is there any significance to high systolic blood pressure and low heart rate?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

problem with his natural pacemaker of the heart? arrhythmia perhaps?

you take meds?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I do a lot of hiking... when I am fat and lazy my heart rate is in the 70s. A lower heart rate for an active person means the heart is more efficient. Lance Armstrong has a resting heart rate in the 30s. I heard of one athlete being at 24 BPM but I don't know who.

Zero.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

have you checked your cholesterol levels?

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Absane

based on your BP your mean arterial pressure is 99 which is a little higher than it should be but not excessive

If you want to know conditions which cause an increase in BP and a drop in HR then things like coning (that really doesnt look right but meh) but im assuming you havent had any head trauma. I think excess Na and K can cause increase in BP with a drop in HR

Basically it means you have an either an increase in preload which is the amount of blood which fills the heart each pump. This causes extra force as the heart contracts and there for higher BP (because cardiac output CO = HR x stroke volume SV). The other option is the perferial capillary bed closing down because BP = CO x pereferal Resistance

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

ops i ment to add this, some VERY fit people can get this but normally you would see a lower BP with a very fit person

10. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Holy shit, that's high for someone in their 20's. Are you a large person?

11. EmeraldAxe Registered Senior Member

155 is hypertensive if it's a resting blood pressure. You can't take just one measurement, the elevated bp must be established over days and weeks and probably even months. Also, if you took the bp at the doctor's office, you may have elevated short term pressures from "white coat syndrome" (anxiety about being at the doctor's office increases bp; this seems less likely since your HR wasn't elevated).

You don't need to cut K from your diet as someone said above. Cutting Na can, over time, decrease blood pressure up to 15 mm (systolic) if strictly adherent to a low salt diet (<1g/day).

This is a common misconception that salt means K and Na in the context of hypertension. K is the main ion INSIDE cells. Na is the main ion OUTSIDE cells (in the blood and interstitial space).

Take your blood pressure 3 times a week at rest, above 140 is hypertensive, 120-140 is prehypertensive. Exercise everyday, restrict salt. If this doesn't work, let me know.