Please help find source of tenets - 'suffering purifies'

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by wynn, Mar 12, 2009.

1. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Who stated tenets to the effect of:

?

There might have been more people who have purported such tenets, and these people might have been from different religions, or also non-religious.

I remember I read it once by a Christian, but I can't remember the name.

Do you know who stated such tenets about suffering?

Thanks.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tnerb Banned Banned

Suffering is necessary part of life.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Adstar Valued Senior Member

I Don't believe all suffering is good. But even bad suffering can cause one to be compassionate towards others who are going through the same suffering.

So i do not agree that in my faith there is amy teaching that says all suffering is good. Although some suffering is meant for the good of the one who endures it.

Hebrews 12
    5 And you have forgotten the exhortation which speaks to you as to sons:

“ My son, do not despise the chastening of the LORD,
    Nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him;
    6 For whom the LORD loves He chastens,
    And scourges every son whom He receives.”

7 If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten? 8 But if you are without chastening, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate and not sons. 9 Furthermore, we have had human fathers who corrected us, and we paid them respect. Shall we not much more readily be in subjection to the Father of spirits and live? 10 For they indeed for a few days chastened us as seemed best to them, but He for our profit, that we may be partakers of His holiness. 11 Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RobDegraves Registered Member

Actually, the main source behind the pervasive belief in Christianity that suffering is good comes from a religious sect called the Gnostics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnosticism

Gnosticism had a great deal of influence on Christian thought as a whole as it grew during the early periods and through the Middle Ages.

The basic tenet, that the material world was essentially evil, meant that enjoyment of the physical world took you away from the spiritual world where God lived. Therefore, it's opposite.. suffering, allowed you to separate yourself from the snares of the evil material world and turn you towards the spiritual.

Of course, there are many other influences, but that was one of the main ones.

8. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Sounds Calvinist.