What do you like about Islam?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by joepistole, Mar 11, 2009.

1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Since there is much discourse about Islam and how it is unfairly maligned in the West. I thought it might be interesting to start a thread about what is liked or good about Islam. So go for it! What is good about Islam?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I like the independence of thought. What you think about God, religion, good, bad, right, wrong is fairly flexible.

There is a lot of room to accomodate the simplest person with ideas of an anthropomorphic God and the Lake of fire, to philosophical postulates that embrace the next century.

In short, I like the simplicity

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The mosques have interesting architecture.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Nothing.
    However I don't say that in the context of singling Islam out. "Nothing" for me is a blanket response for any theistic religion.

8. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I like polygamy and familes seem to be close. And you are right Spidergoat...some amazing architecture!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  9. electrafixtion Registered Senior Member

...sounds exactly like Catholicism.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Not sure which Catholicism you're familiar with, but I always found the divinity of a carpenter and cannibalism of his body and blood hard to stomach. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the masses whenever I went with my friends.

This is not a judgement on Catholics, just one of the reasons why it did not appeal to me.

11. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Protestants do that to an extent too. But they use small crackers and grape juice to symbolize that.
    I remember having to do that in church when I was a kid, but it lost its meaning on me and my cousin Anthony because we were starving hungry at the time and just considered the crackers and juice a pre lunch snack. Haha.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I used to be jealous of missing out on the sugar and wine until I found out what it signified. Even tried to sneak into the line for communion.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

So the symbolism is lost on you completely, right? You actually think that you're eating the body of Christ and drinking his blood? ...LOL!

And there are no symbols of a like nature in Islam?

Baron Max

14. CheskiChips Banned Banned

I like how they simply change the name from "Jacob" to "Ishmael" and all of the sudden they are a holy people.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Well there is Bakri Eid, where the goat/sheep/camel/cow replaces Abraham's son

It turned my sister off, but I like meat too much

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Jacob is Israel, not Ishmael. Ishmael is Hagar's son.

I'm surprised you don't know that.

Ishmael:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08192a.htm

17. electrafixtion Registered Senior Member

I don't believe there was ever any divinity of a carpenter so to speak, nor was there any cannibalism that I remember, but they do burn incense which is pretty cool.

The main thing is that you can pretty much do whatever you want as long as you are willing to talk about it afterwords.

Ah, you know what they say: One man's Cannibalism is another mans Jihad.

18. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Baron, Catholics really do believe that the wafers and wine are transmuted to the body and blood of Christ when injested. It is to me a sort of a quirky belief in my opinion...again not to deride or offend any Catholics.

19. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

uhhh ....well... not sure.

20. CheskiChips Banned Banned

I meant Isaac, Isaac gave birth to Jacob.

My point was Isaac was the righteous one in the Torah, in the Q'Ran all of the sudden Ishmael was the righteous one. More specifically tradition has it in the Q'Ran that Ishmael was the one brought to be sacrificed...it's left unnamed. Though in the Torah (well older than the Q'Ran) clearly has Isaac.

I'll give you another thing I like about Islam on this same topic.

Hagar in Hebrew means "The Stranger" and in Arabic it means "Here is your compensation"

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

At some point in the distant past, Islamic scholars respected scientific inquiry and preserved many important documents from Greece and Rome.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Actually, it was the older son. The controversy is who was older.

edit

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

r not.

So its acknowledged that Ishmael was firstborn.

In Arabic it means the forsaken or retired. Apparently, it can also mean the wanderer and hence the Prophet's Hijra.

But she was Egyptian. The Pharoahs daughter. He gave her to Sarah when Sarah lived with the Pharoah as his wife.

What does it mean in Egyptian?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  23. CheskiChips Banned Banned

Right, no one denies whether he was older, it's known he is.

Sarah descended of Shem is the relevance here as compared to Hagar of Ham.

Are you sure? "هاجر" I heard it came from another word which meant payment, recompense, compensate.

It's unlikely that anyone actually knows that, if you can actually find that it'd be interesting. However, it's unlikely that her name in Egypt was "Hagar". The names of different Jews names in Egyptian exist most often listed in different sources. Meaning her name would have been given post-addendum...those names have meaning similar to the name Bavyl which was massacred by the great mod Skinwalker.