Read the Bible: regardless of your beliefs

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by mikenostic, Mar 6, 2009.

1. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

http://www.slate.com/id/2212616/?gt1=38001

Very interesting article.
    Even though I'm agnostic like the author, I share his belief in reading the bible regardless of your beliefs. Read it in the same fashion you would read any other book of information.

What does that tell you when an agnostic reads the bible from cover to cover and becomes more skeptical?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

It would tell me that the bible reinforced his doubts.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RobDegraves Registered Member

Well... for my degree, the bible was a requirement to learn. My specialty is medieval Europe, so knowing the bible is essential to understanding the social milieu of the time.

Mind you... the author of you article does not do much with it other than just read it as a bunch of stories taken at face value. What is really interesting is where those stories come from, what they originally were and how they changed over the years. This reveals a great deal about our society now and then.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mustafhakofi I sa'id so Registered Senior Member

How do you think the majority of skeptics, become that way, Through studying, there own holy book and seeing the flaws.
    I was myself brought up with the Qu'ran, and have studied the Bible and the Vadas also since becoming atheist, most atheists know more about religious holy books than there own adherents. It would be extremely foolish to discuss a subject without having a reasonably good knowledge of said subject.

8. swarm Registered Senior Member

The bible really isn't that impressive.

9. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

It's actually one of the best pieces of information for history(from the Hebrew perspective of course ).

10. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

It tells me that he read it from a skeptical POV.

jan.

11. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

How can an agnostic become even more skeptical?

12. swarm Registered Senior Member

Actually not really.

13. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

By reading the bible.
    :roflmao:

So the bible has no historical value, nor can it be verified by any other actual, official historical documents?
    I guess that means we can start filing that book in the fiction section then.

14. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

I guess you need to know what it was like before modern archaeology, which has point by point found people and places talked about in the Hebrew Torah, that previously people had no memory or knowledge of.

It's a good Historical document exactly because there are few surviving other documents from the time. Good for reference, cross reference. Perhaps not as much anymore as modern archaeology has uncovered more and more to work with.

15. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

That's what I was thinking. Modern technology is chipping away bit by bit in disproving the older religions, yet most Christians sit there and deny it more vehemently than Baghdad Bob denied U.S. forces were in the country.

16. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Well yes indeed, for instance Archaeology has proved that the Hebrew religion is actually 3 places removed from Sumerian Mythology (and copies the original ohh so many ways). Really just a hand-me-down religion like any other.

It was probably an exciting time for bible thumpers until they started digs in Mesopotamia.

17. iceaura Valued Senior Member

That would be reasonable, yes.

Although if you read the book in the King James version, and read Shakespeare alongside it, it's worthwhile. Fiction has great value, or some of it anyway.

18. RobDegraves Registered Member

You are very wrong in saying that the Bible has no historical value.

1. The Bible includes a huge amount of day to day information. How people lived, ate, etc. There is little from the period that can tell us that other than the bible. Since such details would have not have been important enough to change for religious or political reasons, we have every reason to believe they are likely genuine.

2. The Bible has had a marked influence on history as a whole. Much of the latter Roman political concerns are directly influenced by it. In the Middle Ages, some forms of formal logic were directly based on it. It's influence on medieval thought and society is immense. Understanding the Bible is a requisite for any medieval scholar. In my case, knowing both the Bible and the Koran was a requirement.

3. Much like the Iliad and the Odyssey were for Heinrich Schliemann, the Bible is a great tool for archeology. It allows an archeologist or historian a place to begin searching for evidence. There is a huge amount of information that has been uncovered based on the Biblical accounts. Some of it supports what the Bible says.. some of it invalidates it. In both cases this is information that we would not have found without the Bible as a source.

19. iceaura Valued Senior Member

I didn't say that.

I said it was a work of fiction.

As a work of fiction, especially in the King James version, it has a great deal of value - some of it historical. As does, you mention, the Odyssey, and one might add the Norse Eddas, the Mabinogion, the Tale of Genji, Beowulf, the Bhagavad Gita, and so forth.

20. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

If you have half a brain in your head, you should know that history can be forged, skewed and altered to suit whoever was in charge at the time.
    The bible is no different.

21. swarm Registered Senior Member

not really

none of which is reliable

except for actual letters and documents from real people.

So did dirt but there isn't any need to wallow in it.

its ok for an unreliable Tertiary source.

Bottom line - its just not that interesting or reliable. Ivanhoe has better fact checking.

22. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

How can an agnostic become even more skeptical?

An agnostic is already as skeptical as it is possible to be.

If a person read the Bible and then became 'even more skeptical', then this is indicative that the person has not started out as an agnostic,
    but already had some particular position on the topics discussed in the Bible.

An agnostic cannot be moved one way or another; unless he first gives up his agnosticism.

23. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Sounds familiar, eh?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!