Pilgrimages

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Captain Kremmen, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Have you ever been on a Pilgrimage?
    Did you find that it made a difference to your life?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lightgigantic Banned Banned

plenty

sure

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Where did you go?
    What difference did it make?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Mostly India/Bangladesh
    tons of pilgrimage sites
    (basically sites of historical importance from a few hundred years ago to a few thousand)

I guess there is a novel aspect to it

I mean its hardly a common activity, particularly in the west.

Initially there is a sort of romantic mysticism to it I guess, but after a while the austerity of travel etc brings in a clearer picture.

IOW one of the first things it brought to me is how to live more simply and how many things that I thought were important (mod con western sort of things) were not so important.

From there it sort of went into a deeper appreciation of what I already knew about them ... For instance if I had a bit of background knowledge about what great events happened at a particular temple you can bring the whole scene together more vividly my the architecture etc.

But the most dynamic element of pilgrimage is the people one meets and the people one travels with. This things will greatly shape the value of any pilgrimage.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I've been to Mecca several times though I haven't performed Hajj

The first time I went there, I reached in the twilight of the evening during Ramadan. My first view of the Haram Sharif was breathtaking. It was much larger than expected and there was a strange sensation of stepping back into history.

It was also unusual to be in a place where there were only Muslims, although they were from all around the world, reflected in their Caucasian, Asian and African ethnicities.

The jamah salat was amazing there were thousands upon thousands of people all sitting together. Perfect strangers would smile and talk as if we were all at a celebration. Since it was Ramadan, at iftaar, people broke fast sitting around in the marble patios. Some of them saw that we were eating store bought sandwiches and invited us to join them in their home cooked meal.

We spent the rest of the night looking at the masjid, examining the Kaaba, Muqaame Ibrahim, the Black Stone, the Zamzam spring. A friend had brought along a book on performing umrah and we diligently followed all the instructions. We sat late after Isha for Taravi, with Sudaisi reciting the 27th juz. It was a unique and overwhelming feeling of connection to what is one of the primary influences of life.

9. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

I don't think it is going to influence many to become Catholic. Rituals keep the flocks tight, they have a purpose.

10. lightgigantic Banned Banned

don't worry

there's no shortage of accessories out there to meet your "ritual" and "pilgrimage" niche

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

This year I will visit the town of Assisi for a few days.
    I always loved the stories about St Francis when I was a child, and I would like to see his tomb which is in a church there.

12. swarm Registered Senior Member

Every so often I go to a burningman style event, though the original has lost its je ne sais quoi.

Very refreshing.

13. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I've heard about that.
    It has elements of religious ceremonies, such as ritual and sacrifice, but no dogma, other than that you can always make a new beginning.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

In Bombay, we have a novena at Mount Mary's Church every September. Its a similar experience and being India, everyone goes for it to light candles in the church. Thats Baba Siddiqui, the local MLA in the center between the Hindu and Catholic priests.

Then there is the Siddhivinayak Temple, to which people walk barefoot every Monday night, as a ritual. Once a month, they have Sankashti and two to five thousand people will collect for the Puja

They distribute the most awesome sweets so everyone goes for that too.

Then there is Haji Ali. This is a famous mosque/mausoleum off the coast in Bombay. Its only accessible at low tide, so you have to watch the clock or get stranded at high tide. People of all religions also flock here and put flowers on the saint.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  15. iceaura Valued Senior Member

There's the proverb, or standard, "Law Of The Taj Mahal" - in various wordings, that anything people for centuries have been traveling from all over the world just to see, is probably worth the journey.

If I were to ever have the time and money to go on a pilgrimage to some kind of people-symbol place, Genghis Khan's sacred mountain would rank high on the destination list.

But there are lakes closer to home, or even corners of overlooked woodlot, not yet trivialized by the needs of gods, fashions, or monies.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Does a pilgrimage have to be about religion? Sad to admit, but I know a person who considers going to Graceland a pilgrimage.

17. John99 Banned Banned

it can be anything you want it to be at anytime you want it to in any place you want it to. its all up to YOU. YOU...YOU...YOU

*singing*

18. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Is your friend a loser for selecting Graceland or have all pilgrims lost?