Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: why people beleive weird things

  1. #1

    why people beleive weird things

    short but entertaining piece from michael shermer

    http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...17847381528211

  2. #2
    Valued Senior Member
    Posts
    10,162
    Quote Originally Posted by synthesizer-patel View Post
    short but entertaining piece from michael shermer

    http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...17847381528211
    Can't watch the video just at the moment, but don't need it anyway. The answer is very simple - many people are bored and want something exciting - and besides it's entertaining. That's exactly why we watch "action" movies and similar things.

  3. #3
    Satan's toolshed? :-)

    That was very good, in fact I might have to subscribe to 'Skeptic' again.

  4. #4
    Be kind to yourself always. cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Posts
    29,850
    I already can tell shit from shineola why listen to his shineola?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by phlogistician View Post
    Satan's toolshed? :-)

    That was very good, in fact I might have to subscribe to 'Skeptic' again.
    Why subscribe? We should ask them to pop over and "Debunk" should they have the time.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by synthesizer-patel View Post
    short but entertaining piece from michael shermer

    http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...17847381528211
    I found it to be pretty good; my father enjoys the skeptic and at times it says some -very- interesting things concerning what society at large believes. In the video above, I also noted that he said that all UFO sightings were -probably- all fakes. Even he wouldn't go so far as to categorically say he -knows- they were all fakes. While I think that he may still overconfident in that estimate, I think that it's always a good sign when people admit that they don't know everything concerning an issue.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmictraveler View Post
    I already can tell shit from shineola why listen to his shineola?
    It's very entertaining cosmic - i promise it wont be 15 mins of your ife you'll want back

  8. #8
    it was interesting. one music piece was er....

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by John99 View Post
    it was interesting. one music piece was er....
    The Satan one? Pretty funny, laugh :-)

  10. #10
    excuse me?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by John99 View Post
    excuse me?
    Did you actually watch the video in its entirety? I'm talking about a song from Led Zeppelin that they played backwards at about 10:50 in the video.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by scott3x View Post
    The Satan one? Pretty funny, laugh :-)
    There's an hilarious skit by Bill Hicks on the subject of "hidden messages" rock albums

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_69yvFZH9U

  13. #13
    F-in' *meow* baby!!!
    Posts
    8,427
    Quote Originally Posted by synthesizer-patel View Post
    short but entertaining piece from michael shermer

    http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...17847381528211
    That rocked .

  14. #14
    Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love BenTheMan's Avatar
    Posts
    8,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Read-Only View Post
    Can't watch the video just at the moment, but don't need it anyway. The answer is very simple - many people are bored and want something exciting - and besides it's entertaining. That's exactly why we watch "action" movies and similar things.
    Well, it's not quite that simple. Shermer breaks it down pretty nicely in his book of the same title.

  15. #15
    Valued Senior Member
    Posts
    10,162
    Quote Originally Posted by BenTheMan View Post
    Well, it's not quite that simple. Shermer breaks it down pretty nicely in his book of the same title.
    I agree, but I was oversimplifying on purpose just to drive home a point.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by synthesizer-patel View Post
    There's an hilarious skit by Bill Hicks on the subject of "hidden messages" rock albums
    Here's the not quite so hilarious documentary about the kids that tried suicide, and the redneck assholes that tried to blame Judas Priest for their own failings as parents;

    http://www.videosift.com/video/Judas...-Suicide-Trial

    It's long, but worth watching, the parents are truly despicable people.

Similar Threads

  1. By sandy in forum World Events
    Last Post: 08-26-10, 09:36 AM
    Replies: 523
  2. By Norsefire in forum Science & Society
    Last Post: 11-15-08, 09:30 AM
    Replies: 155
  3. By TimeTraveler in forum Earth Science
    Last Post: 12-16-07, 11:41 PM
    Replies: 1
  4. By Roman in forum History
    Last Post: 02-24-07, 11:43 PM
    Replies: 102
  5. By one_raven in forum Pseudoscience Archive
    Last Post: 02-03-07, 09:17 AM
    Replies: 117

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •