Man Beheads Wife in 'Honor' Killing

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by jessiej920, Feb 19, 2009.

1. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

I just read a news article in which a Muslim man from Pakistan, currently living and making a living in America, brutally beheaded his wife at their place of work, claiming it was an 'honor' killing. His reason for this 'honor' killing: She served him divorce papers.

His current defense, the media says, is that because 'honor' killing is a cultural belief and practice he should not be charged with murder.

What do people think of this? Please discuss respectfully as possible and attempt to not be racist.

Links to article:

http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/39825477.html

http://www.buffalonews.com/494/story/578644.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

and he worked for a tv media for muslim americans, preaching of how un-evil islam is.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

Despite all this, what I am trying to get at is what people think of this man's defense against the murder of his wife?

Whether honor killing is a cultural practice or not, in America, murder of any kind is against the law. Should he not be prosecuted according to the laws of the country he is currently residing in?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

of course he should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law in the country he resides in. And the religious defense is just a lame coverup in order to avoid prosecution. He is a murderer, he should be punished.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2009
  8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its upto the courts to decide on his crime. I don't think US courts follow Pakistani laws.

9. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Charge him with murder.
    I'm sure the woman's muslim relatives don't mind.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its irrelevant even if they do. That has nothing to do with law.

11. copernicus66 Banned Banned

He's been charged. He hasn't been convicted.

Source? All of the news articles I have checked said nothing about him confessing to the crime, let alone claiming that it was an honour killing.

12. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

Its murder in Pakistan also. It's not very common, usually occurs in tribal areas. Like one case a year. Its more common in American south for husband to kill wife.

It's not a cultural tradition, he's just lying obviously to get a lighter sentence. Plus, I assume he's a Westernized secular Muslim, that must explain some things.

13. John99 Banned Banned

That wont get him a lighter sentence in U.S. This crosses all cultures, not sure about the cutting off of head part though.

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Where do you come up with a comment like that? Do you have a link or anywhere that can prove that claim by you?

15. phlogistician Banned Banned

His 'cultural' heritage doesn't supersede the law of the country he is living in. Not that it would be acceptable anywhere, for that matter.

He needs to be tried, and convicted of murder. His wife was right to want rid of him, it seems.

16. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

In the UK it would be classed as Murder no matter what bullshit they want to try and pull to get a lighter sentence. The truth of the matter for most systems is that no person should kill another, in an ideal world if you have a conflict, it should be settled through a court "legally". This places the decision making into the hands of others, since any form of legal battle is bound to fray nerves and stop people thinking clearly.

At least if you take it to a court, you can at the end of the day walk away with the understanding that the person that wronged you is publicly acknowledged for whatever crime and will have to deal with fines, sentencing and the "Post"-term re-integration with society should they get jail time.

I guess you can say killing someone doesn't teach them a lesson or make them remorseful, making sure they pay in a legal way is far more worthwhile.

(Obviously my statements on not killing someone is not the same as "Self-Defence", and death in that instance has to be proven to have been the only way to defend yourself. In fact I remember someone mentioning in another thread, how a loaded gun on the dresser in the US could be referred to as "Premeditated Homicide", if an intruder broke in your home and was shot.)

17. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

It reminds me of the old saw about General Sir Charles James Napier...

Two hundred years ago, the British in India were faced with the practice of Satiā€”the tradition of burning widows on the funeral pyres of their husband. Sir Charles responded, "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."

18. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Unless the various human rights organizations, UN officials, and governments involved are badly off on their numbers, its quite a bit more often than once a year.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/...65536796&pagename=Zone-English-News/NWELayout

Domestic abuse of women is very common among Muslims everywhere accurate stats are kept.

It's Westernized secular Muslims who cut off heads? It's Westernized secular Muslims who live in those rural districts you say are producing most of the bad stuff?

19. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Honor killings are sanctioned in a variety of predominantly Muslim countries, including Pakistan. And when these clowns move to the West, they follow their religious sanctions as they would if they were back home. This shouldn't be surprising with Islam at all, nor would it be surprising if the Muslims her defended these actions.

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

is it sanctioned by a country or sanctioned by a small back-woods village?

21. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

By the countries, it is in their penal codes.

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

HOLY CRAP! so its not illegal!? No one gets arrested for it in Pakistan?

23. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Or in a variety of other Muslim countries. Why are you surprised?